Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #709 of 1,084
It seems like you have BUS noise from your computer's USB port, which is common. Perhaps try another USB port on the computer, or a different computer if you have access to one to troubleshoot.

Sorry I think you misunderstand; the sound from my computer is fine with the ASIO drivers, there are just some very faint clicks and pops with the DirectSound and WASAPI drivers which I think might be digital artifacts from the resampling done by Windows. I understand this is unavoidable with DirectSound but my question was I thought WASAPI was meant to be able to output bit-perfect audio, so is there a way to make it do that like the ASIO drivers do? I tried on both MusicBee and Foobar and can't get WASAPI to work perfectly.

My other question was about massive distortion and loud clicks/pops when outputting via USB on my phone. Is there any way to fix this bus noise/artifacts or is there an Android phone that can output perfect audio to Mojo? I have tried every free 'bit-perfect' app available with the same results and I don't want to buy UAPP unless I can be sure that I can actually get decent quality out of a phone.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #710 of 1,084
Sorry I think you misunderstand; the sound from my computer is fine with the ASIO drivers, there are just some very faint clicks and pops with the DirectSound and WASAPI drivers which I think might be digital artifacts from the resampling done by Windows. I understand this is unavoidable with DirectSound but my question was I thought WASAPI was meant to be able to output bit-perfect audio, so is there a way to make it do that like the ASIO drivers do? I tried on both MusicBee and Foobar and can't get WASAPI to work perfectly.

My other question was about massive distortion and loud clicks/pops when outputting via USB on my phone. Is there any way to fix this bus noise/artifacts or is there an Android phone that can output perfect audio to Mojo? I have tried every free 'bit-perfect' app available with the same results and I don't want to buy UAPP unless I can be sure that I can actually get decent quality out of a phone.

I didn't read your post clearly enough. A potential issue using WASAPI, as far as I know from what Chord has said in the past, is that it doesn't resend dropped out packets like ASIO with the Chord drivers. This may be why the clicks and pops are heard with WASAPI and not ASIO. It's just my guesswork to try to help without being in front of your computer.

By the way, re-sampling, ie. not bit-perfect, shouldn't result in pops or clicks at all. The likely issue is packet dropouts or some other data transmition issue. The fact that ASIO works perfectly re-enforces this train of thought.

As far as the phone is concerned I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the phone to the Mojo was noise free, but now I re-read your posts, so my apologies there. I use a DAP to the Mojo so I can't help with the Android phones but it does seem that UAPP has helped a lot of people solve USB output issues.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #711 of 1,084
Hello,
my mojo stays constantly plugged in, and I'm using it as a dac in my hi-fi system.
It was not used for a week or so, and today I wanted to listen to music, went to plug it in, and it was hot...after a week of no usage. Mojo started OK, but I decied to disassembly it as I suspected, and it was proven, the battery was swollen.
Does anyone know how much a new one will cost? Any alternatives?

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #712 of 1,084

Apple phones have a reputation for producing a lot of RFI.
I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Android), and found that using the Chord drivers, UAPP plus a ferrite choke on the USB cable removed virtually all the noise artifacts. There was some residual low level noise audible during very quiet music passages (I have described it in other posts, as sounding like a stylus being dragged across a record for a fraction of a second), but the noise level was low enough that it is possible that I could only hear it because the Mojo has an otherwise very low noise floor (by this I mean that 20 years ago there was probably all sorts of noise artifacts, completely swamped by FM radio hiss, or cassette tape hiss) and in the pre-mojo era i probably would not have heard it.
This low level residual noise is caused by the internal workings of the phone, because the OS is running many services (apps, screen updates, sending data to the cell mast), and sometimes the music data stream gets paused. Some people are able to eliminate this residual noise by a bit of trial and error with adjusting the priority of some of the phone settings.
I do not have the patience to do this, so I bought a Shanling M1 to use as the music transport, and free the phone up for all its other functions. The Shanling produces none of those digital artifacts, so I am delighted with the performance.
Would I recommend you to choose that option - it depends on your plans. For me the Shanling feeding the Mojo, will soon be replaced by the Poly feeding the Mojo, but the Shanling will then be used with the Hugo 2, until the 2Go starts being shipped sometime in the future.
If you plan to buy the Poly, then just wait a few weeks and your problems will be solved.
If you don't plan to buy the Poly, then consider the Shanling M1. It can handle a 256Gb SD card, which can provide enough music library to provide enjoyment, plus free your phone to serve its primary function which is make phone calls. :relaxed:

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #713 of 1,084
Pops and clicks on the Mojo went away for me with WASAPI actually. It was pretty bad with Direct Sound.

However I still don't put the blame on the Mojo. My Meridian Explorer actually made dropouts intermittently, where music would just go blank randomly.

Also for those not wanting a Poly, there are DAPS and alternatives as said by @miketlse in the above post. Also I just discovered the Cayin N3, which is a nice cheap DAP. It does everything a Mojo user would want. Though I don't know if it would act as a wifi spot. You'll have to check. It's £150 in the UK, and pairs with the Mojo. It's also a good sounding DAP for its price. The reviews I have read so far say it's the DAP to take at this price point. Meaning it will be OK on its own if you don't want to take your Mojo outside. I get the impression that the N3 is good up to 32ohm headphones and a bit beyond.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #714 of 1,084
Hi,
I've been using chord mojo with my macbook pro 2013 with no problem.
Now that I switched to a macbook pro 2017 (only USB-C outputs) I have a problem with Tidal exclusive mode.
Playing back with tidal app in exclusive mode gives only crackles and noise. Has anybody experienced this?
Turning exclusive mode off, plays fine but I think I can still hear some pops now and then.
Is it a problem with my cable? I tried two different USB-C male to USB 2 female adapters.

Please, how do you guys hook up mojo to USB-C only macbooks ?

Edit:
Exclusive mode works perfectly with 96khz content (Tidal masters)
but only noise when playing 44.1khz tracks.
Edit2:
Works well in Amarra osx app, although I can not find any exclusive mode there to test.
Only Tidal desktop app 44.1khz gives garbage. Maybe something with buffer sizes? :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #715 of 1,084
Hi,
Now that I switched to a macbook pro 2017 (only USB-C outputs) I have a problem with Tidal exclusive mode.
Playing back with tidal app in exclusive mode gives only crackles and noise. Has anybody experienced this?
Turning exclusive mode off, plays fine but I think I can still hear some pops now and then.
Is it a problem with my cable? I tried two different USB-C male to USB 2 female adapters.

Edit:
Edit2:
Works well in Amarra osx app, although I can not find any exclusive mode there to test.
Only Tidal desktop app 44.1khz gives garbage. Maybe something with buffer sizes? :frowning2:

I think it is a Tidal problem with their current OS X Tidal application. I have a 2014 iMac and have exactly the same problem. It worked fine yesterday or the day before (can't remember for sure which day I was listening to Tidal through the Mojo) and today it sounds like static with the music very low behind it. I have been observing issues with Tidal the last couple of days. Not much help, but at least you know you are not alone. :smile_phones:

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #716 of 1,084
I think it is a Tidal problem with their current OS X Tidal application. I have a 2014 iMac and have exactly the same problem. It worked fine yesterday or the day before (can't remember for sure which day I was listening to Tidal through the Mojo) and today it sounds like static with the music very low behind it. I have been observing issues with Tidal the last couple of days. Not much help, but at least you know you are not alone. :smile_phones:
Thank you, comfortable to know!
Stactic with very low music in background is the precise description of how it sounds for me too.
I will mail tidal support.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #719 of 1,084
Hi,

Edit:
Edit2:

I'm not running a Mac Notebook but my Notebook uses several USB C ports. I picked up a good USB C to USB micro cable from amazon. It works perfectly with the MOJO.
IMG_1062[1].JPG

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #720 of 1,084
can confirm the same problem with tidal and my hugo 2 using a macbook air and tried also with my imac. are windows pc users with chord dacs immune to this problem? is it likely tidal will address this. many thanks one small point. is it affecting any make of dac with mac computers or just chord dacs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back