Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 11, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #13,021 of 42,765
My specific request for opinion on portable earphone is from someone who finds that their Mojo matches nicely with... I like the Fiio X1 in ear, but wonder if I am missing out too much on the Mojo's capability.  Budget?  Under $200.  I am not a 'bass head' and I treasure soundstage and distinction, so if you've got a favorite that works with the Mojo, would you list it here?

I also enjoy when posters put songs that they tested their mojo on.  It was through a review (I think Headphone Guru) where Amber Rubarth was referenced.  I had not heard of her, but the description was too interesting...now Ms. Rubarth has a new fan!  The instrument separation on "Sessions from the 17th Ward" is wonderful:  hearing a cello on my left, answered by the fiddle on my right, with a cajon being played skillfully, followed by a beautiful voice.  The cajon sounds like it is a few feet away from me!  It's hard to explain.  

Hear:  "Down Home" to know what I mean.  Even the plunking of the guitar string sounds like a fingernail.  The clarity is extreme.  The 'blackness' of the silence is amazing.  

Mojo, what hath ye wrought?

As to music samples, with the Mojo, here is another song to test, and an unusual experience:

Song:  "All Along the Watchtower" from Bob Dylan's "Live At Budokan" 1978, with violin.  What the Mojo does with the violin and his vocal is something special. 

I gave consideration to the Chord's owner's statement about the sheer volume of data being emitted through Mojo. 

An adult with mild autism (genius level intellect) loves music and found that, true enough, the Mojo will, in his words, "take some getting used to" as it gave him a sense of "sensory overload", recognizing the abundance of detail given.  He is such that in all those online tests of "which one is MP3 and which is lossless, he is never wrong.  He has a level of concentration I have never encountered in anyone I've met, yet if two people are talking to him at once, he may get no information, as it is close to painful due to this sensory issue. 

I recognized on the Dylan track today that there is more 'information' coming at me, via Mojo than I have ever heard before.  

I do love talking and reading about Mojo.  

I m more into CIEM and can't say I follow many in ear in the 2-300usd range, but I did came across a pair of AKG N20 that I quite like and pair well with Mojo that would give you superb transparency and nice staging.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #13,022 of 42,765
My specific request for opinion on portable earphone is from someone who finds that their Mojo matches nicely with... I like the Fiio X1 in ear, but wonder if I am missing out too much on the Mojo's capability.  Budget?  Under $200.  I am not a 'bass head' and I treasure soundstage and distinction, so if you've got a favorite that works with the Mojo, would you list it here?

I also enjoy when posters put songs that they tested their mojo on.  It was through a review (I think Headphone Guru) where Amber Rubarth was referenced.  I had not heard of her, but the description was too interesting...now Ms. Rubarth has a new fan!  The instrument separation on "Sessions from the 17th Ward" is wonderful:  hearing a cello on my left, answered by the fiddle on my right, with a cajon being played skillfully, followed by a beautiful voice.  The cajon sounds like it is a few feet away from me!  It's hard to explain.  

Hear:  "Down Home" to know what I mean.  Even the plunking of the guitar string sounds like a fingernail.  The clarity is extreme.  The 'blackness' of the silence is amazing.  

Mojo, what hath ye wrought?

As to music samples, with the Mojo, here is another song to test, and an unusual experience:

Song:  "All Along the Watchtower" from Bob Dylan's "Live At Budokan" 1978, with violin.  What the Mojo does with the violin and his vocal is something special. 

I gave consideration to the Chord's owner's statement about the sheer volume of data being emitted through Mojo. 

An adult with mild autism (genius level intellect) loves music and found that, true enough, the Mojo will, in his words, "take some getting used to" as it gave him a sense of "sensory overload", recognizing the abundance of detail given.  He is such that in all those online tests of "which one is MP3 and which is lossless, he is never wrong.  He has a level of concentration I have never encountered in anyone I've met, yet if two people are talking to him at once, he may get no information, as it is close to painful due to this sensory issue. 

I recognized on the Dylan track today that there is more 'information' coming at me, via Mojo than I have ever heard before.  

I do love talking and reading about Mojo.  

I think the Vsonic GR-07 sounds pretty good with Mojo ($99), but recently acquired the FLC 8s and that is a whole new level...if you can stretch to $330.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #13,023 of 42,765
I was always trying to build up my current system around my actual pair of headphones.
Since I bought Mojo, I am trying to build up my system around Mojo. :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #13,024 of 42,765
I know this is a little late but here is the line out shortcut on my unit.

Lighting and viewing angle are factors.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #13,025 of 42,765
I know this is a little late but here is the line out shortcut on my unit.

Lighting and viewing angle are factors.
Looks very thick.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #13,026 of 42,765
Mar 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #13,027 of 42,765
If somebody is looking for a used mojo with fitting ak100 + moon audio optical cable....i´ll sell mine and put in on the FS-thread the next days. Feel free to pm if there is some interest.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #13,028 of 42,765
Mar 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #13,030 of 42,765
Seems I have dirty dirty USB power coming out of my PC ... My Mojo buzzes like a bee in heat when I charge it through my PC. Should I pick up a powered USB hub such as this Hootoo 7 port (Wirecutter suggestion): http://preview.tinyurl.com/hc4k2vf

Or rather get a Schiit Wyrd?

Any other suggestions?

Probably because you are trying to charge it from your PC !

Standard USB 2.0 output is 0.5 amp and USB 3.0 is 0.9 amp the mojo needs a minimum of 1.0 amp to charge ideally more.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #13,031 of 42,765
Anybody have an answer to this? I'd also like to know

Not all Blackberry phones support USB OTG audio output, actually I don't recall any Blackberry reports using USB OTG audio output in this thread. Apparently the passport does not, but instead supports USB OTG periphery discovery (external storage, etc.).

http://www.blackberryed.com/blackberry-passport-supports-peripheral-discovery-and-usb-host-mode/

I have no idea which models do work and Blackberry seems pretty quiet on the support of the spec. This guy has his working, but I don't know which model that is.

http://utbblogs.com/usb-and-digital-music/

You can also search this thread for "Blackberry" to see what others have found.

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=Blackberry&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=784602&advanced=1

You would have much better luck in a Blackberry forum asking which model supports USB OTG audio output than in this thread. If the device can output audio over USB it will work with the Mojo. :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #13,032 of 42,765
I've tried many a DAC with all my BlackBerry 10 devices.

I could do it on the Z30 but never with the Q10 or Classic, which I currently own.

haven't tried UAPP on a BlackBerry yet though.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #13,033 of 42,765
Got my new Mojo-only DAP set up with Cyanogenmod. Tomorrow gonna find a way to securely affix the Mojo to it. Cost me all of $24 on eBay.
biggrin.gif

Great find, what phone is that out of interest and does it have SD storage?

IEM's I have tried or owned and IMO work well with the Mojo

Finder X1 from Echobox $199 (my goto IEM)
RHA T20 £180
B&O H3 £150
PSB Speakers M4U 4 £229

Others that I have read good things about
Flare Audio R2A £150

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #13,034 of 42,765
I was always trying to build up my current system around my actual pair of headphones.

Since I bought Mojo, I am trying to build up my system around Mojo. :)

I did [was foolish enough to do] the same and I ended up buying the Shure KSE1500. Both Chord DACs and the KSE1500s are about transient response and sound euphoric together but the cost...

p.s. I blame Rob Watts.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #13,035 of 42,765

kkcc, have you considered the FiiO X7? Coaxial out and Android. Sounds good on its own as well.

I demo'ed the X7 and DP-X1 and quite like them as DAPs but may find them too big/thick as transport for mojo (aiming for pocket use).

Stand alone both are excellent DAP and much much better value than AKs. However I still find mojo SQ materially better. My subjective SQ ranking view is:

Dp-X1(SE)<< Dp-X1(balanced ACG)< X7< AK240 (SE)< AK240 (balanced) <<<<<< Mojo<<< Hugo

The comparison is done with my K10 custom.

My quick impression posted in the Onkyo thread:

Demo'ed it extensively and loved the screen, stock android, the player, and overall responsiveness. Sound-wise agreed that balanced ACG is vastly superior to SE. I was comparing it head to head with X7 and think they are on similar level and very good for DAPs and great value compared to my AK240.

Things I like about DP-X1: bigger and higher res screen, Android 5.1, Player UI, 2uSD card slots, 2.5 TRRS that I can reuse my AK240 cables.

Things I like about X7: narrower profile, coxial out, build quality, and I prefer X7 sound.

But SQ wise while I prefer X7 over DP-X1, I still find Mojo quite materially better than either. I m now struggling to commit to any one of these three options (DP-X1, X7, or mojo with my phone) as my solution for streaming Tidal, Spotify, and Moov. All are priced similarly around usd $600-$650 range and all have its pros and cons. I do feel DP-X1 would be eliminated had I not readily own a few quality 2.5mm TRRS cables as it definitely improve the sound.

I think most likely I will just go with the phone+mojo route as I anyway carry two phones (personal and business) almost all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back