Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #12,991 of 42,765
I know DSD gets a lot of hate around here but the stuff I have sounds better than the majority of my other formats. Granted with most of it there's no other PCM equivalent option so I take what I can get. Another example I have of a great sounding DSD is The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot. And I can't imagine any other digital version of Tea for the Tillerman even coming close to the double rate DSD.

One of the big issues with DSD is that there is no DAP that I know of that can play it in it's compressed format (proprietary) and there is no equivalent of FLAC to do it for free. I wouldn't want to store a PCM 24/192 WAV on a microSD card, which is the rough equivalent of your DSD double rate.
I would imagine the more recent digital conversions of TFTT will sound better than the original transfers done for CD some 15 years after the analogue release. The reason being advances in ADC technology. The best digital version of TFTT is yet to be made. It will use an ADC designed by Rob Watts and (almost certainly) be PCM. Can't wait for that one...

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #12,992 of 42,765
All this talk of potential transports for the Mojo prompts me to mention the current Fiio thread, wherein their CEO, James, is contemplating manufacturing a dedicated transport.

And I must say I was amused by his comment, earlier today :D

I think the success of Mojo (and of course the Hugo that started all of it) really revived the idea and demand of a dedicated transport. I was one of the early adopter of the "high res" DAP like DX100/AK100 as it was a point where their performance as an all-in-one equaled or even surpassed stacks that are comparable in size/portability. However, with the SQ benefits of Hugo/Mojo I find it reversed again. I just had extensive demos of DPX1, X7 looking for a streaming app solution but I feel the SQ of my phone+mojo is vastly superior for these Android DAPs. In fact it is imo better than or on par with most DAPs (definitely better than all AKs). I would gladly pay a small sum for an adaptor that fit mojo that is easy to connect with an iPhone or Android device with cable management feature. I would be even more happy to have a very slim andorid device that is slim and fit mojo with cable management so I can avoid strapping my phone to it.

Until the time where a DAP maker manage to materially surpass mojo SQ again, I would be hard pressed to buy another DAP.

This is the simple low cost adaptor. It will be available very shortly and it will come as part of a kit of optos cables of varying types and sets of chord printed bands etc. The Kit is labled 'get your Mojo working ' and is aimed at the new user who is not as well versed in buying cables as you guys are. These cables will be low cost but they are good quality and all function very well. These will get someone up and running quickly . We are sorry that this kit has taken us some time to pull together due mostly to many of these cable being special order types. The other module is far more complex it has far more capabilities and involves a fair portion of engineering so six months for that module may well be an underestimate. John E Franks

Definitely looking forward to the adaptor, and wonder if you can share more info on the other module with us!

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #12,998 of 42,765
This is the simple low cost adaptor. It will be available very shortly and it will come as part of a kit of optos cables of varying types and sets of chord printed bands etc. The Kit is labled 'get your Mojo working ' and is aimed at the new user who is not as well versed in buying cables as you guys are. These cables will be low cost but they are good quality and all function very well. These will get someone up and running quickly . We are sorry that this kit has taken us some time to pull together due mostly to many of these cable being special order types. The other module is far more complex it has far more capabilities and involves a fair portion of engineering so six months for that module may well be an underestimate. John E Franks

That's great to hear. Really looking forward to getting my hands on that adapter.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #12,999 of 42,765
  Seems I have dirty dirty USB power coming out of my PC ... My Mojo buzzes like a bee in heat when I charge it through my PC. Should I pick up a powered USB hub such as this Hootoo 7 port (Wirecutter suggestion): http://preview.tinyurl.com/hc4k2vf

Or rather get a Schiit Wyrd?

Any other suggestions?

I've found it is actually sensitive to change noise, but only at certain times. For instance, I like to use it with my work PC - a cheap Dell workstation, so it's a noisy mess. When I have the mojo plugged in to charge from a wall outlet, silent. When I use the wall plug and the USB data line it is also silent - but if i plug anything else into the bus of the computer the USB Data of the Mojo is plugged into, you can hear a lot of noise.

so if you are even using only your computer to simoltaneously charge and provide audio, it might pick up bus noise.

this is another reason i am thinking about getting a second USBStreamer B to leave at work. I would also get the advantages of the digital inputs' reclocking, etc.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #13,000 of 42,765

Can somebody ask to my question please ? Thanks in advance .

Put the mojo on a table in the middle of the room and walk around it. you'll see the color changes based on the angle you look at it. so no color anyone says is absolute. even the charge white light usually looks pink. it is normal.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #13,001 of 42,765

Put the mojo on a table in the middle of the room and walk around it. you'll see the color changes based on the angle you look at it. so no color anyone says is absolute. even the charge white light usually looks pink. it is normal.

OK , if you say so , i have just put the Mojo in the middle of my table , walk around and see VIOLET ! There are no  change in color , it is brighter  , dimmer ( depends on angle), but it is still VIOLET . By  the way , on this review , it is said that on Line Out setting the colors are VIOLET : http://blog.zpeaktures.com/?p=100 . I agree about the charge white light , but the LO color ( violet , light blue )..................... ????

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #13,002 of 42,765
In my experience it looks light blue as well so I am not disagreeing there. I wondered the same thing. Looking at it from a certain angle it looks kind of violet, and certain colors (yellow & blues) have a lot more tendency to fluctuate at different angles than others (red, green)

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #13,003 of 42,765
OK , if you say so , i have just put the Mojo in the middle of my table , walk around and see VIOLET ! There are no  change in color , it is brighter  , dimmer ( depends on angle), but it is still VIOLET . By  the way , on this review , it is said that on Line Out setting the colors are VIOLET : http://blog.zpeaktures.com/?p=100 . I agree about the charge white light , but the LO color ( violet , light blue )..................... ????

The definitive answer is that from line out mode, there are 72 clicks down until both lights shut off (no volume).

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #13,005 of 42,765

Don't undersatnd !

line out mode is nothing more than a volume setting  which uotput is 3V exactly.

you can use whatever volume you want, it's the same. you should use the volume that fits your amp better

anyway,mine is blue, with slightly purple shade.

and if you ask me, the colors from 352 to 768 (that are shades of violet) seems quite the same, and i can notice a differnce only if I fast switch between them.
actually then, colors are slightly f..ed up...don't worry that much about it, because it works anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back