Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #6,061 of 42,765

Tuneshell should be able to play 24-bit flac files.

Do you know if it is truly neutral like the onkyo player or does it skew the sound?  I'll probably be using onkyo for dsd only then.  If i could just get onkyo to recognize my cover art i'd be fine with it.  = L

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #6,063 of 42,765
@derGabe/@AndrewH13
OMG that's a beauty. I was about to post a picture of the one I made today. I can barely solder and until I saw yours I thought mine doesn't look so bad, but now...
confused_face.gif

If you don't mind me asking: which connector and cable did you use

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6,064 of 42,765

Tuneshell should be able to play 24-bit flac files.

I am very dissapointed with Onkyo HF.  Coming from the far-superior tuneshell it's a terrible app.  You can't change album/artist names, you can't add art from your photo stream or online, you can only delete files.  The equalizer is good but that's about it.  Does anyone know if tuneshell has a neutral sig like onkyo or is it bass/treble spiked even when eq is disabled?  I'll probably use tuneshell for everything except DSD and 24 bit flac, not sure if tuneshell can play 24-bit flac.

I think I had problems with Tuneshell playing 24/96 ALAC and above (not sure about FLAC). Also, Mojo doesn't recognise sample rate changes with Tuneshell but does with Onkyo HF and the native Music app, i.e. going from 44.1 to 48 mojo should change from red to orange but doesn't.

I've gone through a few apps and for me Tuneshell is the nicest, unfortunately they don't respond to issues (reported from app) or appear to have a website

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #6,065 of 42,765
The Galaxy Tab 4 is a dual-role Android device: it can work with a standard USB peripheral like the Mojo.
Android USB audio - A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with compatible USB DAC
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

"To use Mojo with an Android device you will need an ‘on the go’ cable (OTG ). This is a special cable that tells the Android device to run in host mode and enable USB audio. Some devices with newer Android operating system ( 5 and above ) will then play all audio into Mojo.

If this does not work then you need to download either USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo HF player to enable USB audio support. Both are available from the Google Play store."
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

Android USB audio - A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...)
"Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected!"
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

Android USB audio - FAQ
"Q: I have an Android device, a USB DAC and a USB OTG cable which are reportedly compatible, but I have not been able to make it work. Is there a trick to make it work?
R: …"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Hello and thanks for the info,
I do have an OTG cable and also using USB audio player pro and nothing, I will look further into the info u sent me, thanks
Again!

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #6,066 of 42,765
Nice! Is that with the DX90?

I want such a cable too!

Yes, DX90 seems a perfect transport to me, both in size and quality.

@derGabe/@AndrewH13

OMG that's a beauty. I was about to post a picture of the one I made today. I can barely solder and until I saw yours I thought mine doesn't look so bad, but now...:confused_face:

If you don't mind me asking: which connector and cable did you use

I'll leave derGabe to answer, he did offer his services in this thread a month ago, and I and a few others took him up on the cables. I believe 75ohm. Postal services between Germany and UK were not all we hoped but all good in the end. Extremely compact solution and a great job done.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #6,068 of 42,765
  I'm researching these at the moment, seem well built and reasonably priced ???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidizs-professional-Audio-Music-Player-Black/dp/B00N0DZ8F6

Thanks. I am sorry I should have said I am boycotting Chinese goods until they make an ivory ban effective.

An iPod Touch would work well for this. You can play WAV and FLAC with KaiserTone and also have the option for services like Tidal, Spotify, and whatever other online services there are. Plus, you can also stream and listen through WiFi while connected to the Mojo. Also Relisten, while expensive, sounds excellent. It's also tiny and compact. I could go on, but then I caved and got an iPhone.

The iPod touch is a good suggestion from the price performance perspective. However I can not negotiate with iTunes. I fear for my computer when trying to use it. Furious messages have been sent to Apple.

Getting a smartphone could be a good idea. They are pretty practical.

Good camera on a budget(y) phone: Sony z5 compact http://www.mobiles.co.uk/sony-xperia-z5-compact-black.html Expandable memory, should be a good match for the mojo size-wise, and it's 23mp camera is about as good as it gets on mobile. There were some great deals on this one in Norway during black friday, don't know about prices in the UK.

In the UK at about £320 that is far from budget. I think I might end up with a used phone, to bring budget into it.
-------

I also forgot to mention that I think battery life is crucial. If I understood it correctly battery life on gadgets used in OTG mode use much more battey life. The Sony NWZ-A15 apparently only gets six-to-seven hours battery. Whereas normally it has almost unrivalled battery life. I still think of that DAP as an option though.

I was all set to buy the Microsoft Lumia Win 8 phone and then read that it doesn't work in OTG. Even if they fix that in Win 10 in December, there is another issue. I could use any FLAC player for WAV and FLAC. However I don't know if putting HD-audio playing software on the phone would let it run HD-tracks. (Paired with the Mojo I mean.)

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #6,069 of 42,765
Has anybody heard the mojo pair with tralucent 1+2?

Many hours at the moment! My top iem combination. You can just see the Tranlucent cable in my picture a few posts back.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #6,072 of 42,765
Nice...looking forward about your impression and review @shigzeo

@all
Which one is the best input for mojo?
Usb vs coax vs optical

Right now im using asus zenfone c with 2 gig of ram
Playing dsd via onkyo hf running nice and smooth..

Just wondering, if you use AK (optical) or ibasso (coax) could it play dsd natively on mojo (white color on power button)?

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #6,073 of 42,765
I brought my Mojo to a local dealer to try the Beyer T1.2, and if anyone has any doubts as to the Mojo's abilities to drive the 600Ohm T1 to satisfaction, you need not worry. The Mojo could drive the T1 with authority with room to spare - I was on blue color on the two volume balls and felt that it could go higher, way beyond what my ears could bear. The sound remains open, transparent, coherent, and well extended both high and low. The Mojo brings out the best qualities of the T1's and I'm tempted to buy them, but I really need closed headphones and I found my T5p to be a bit too bass-light for my tastes. Next to audition is the AKT5p which I read should be an improvement to the original (Beyer's) T5p especially in the bass department. I'll see how that goes.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #6,074 of 42,765
  I brought my Mojo to a local dealer to try the Beyer T1.2, and if anyone has any doubts as to the Mojo's abilities to drive the 600Ohm T1 to satisfaction, you need not worry. The Mojo could drive the T1 with authority with room to spare - I was on blue color on the two volume balls and felt that it could go higher, way beyond what my ears could bear. The sound remains open, transparent, coherent, and well extended both high and low. The Mojo brings out the best qualities of the T1's and I'm tempted to buy them, but I really need closed headphones and I found my T5p to be a bit too bass-light for my tastes. Next to audition is the AKT5p which I read should be an improvement to the original (Beyer's) T5p especially in the bass department. I'll see how that goes.

If you want closed, try the Beyer DT 1770 Pro.  They are excellent. And great with Mojo.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #6,075 of 42,765
I am very dissapointed with Onkyo HF.  Coming from the far-superior tuneshell it's a terrible app.  You can't change album/artist names, you can't add art from your photo stream or online, you can only delete files.  The equalizer is good but that's about it.  Does anyone know if tuneshell has a neutral sig like onkyo or is it bass/treble spiked even when eq is disabled?  I'll probably use tuneshell for everything except DSD and 24 bit flac, not sure if tuneshell can play 24-bit flac.

To my knowledge and if the Mojo's sample rate lights are accurate, TuneShell does not output beyond 16/44. I do agree it is the best music player app for an iDevice. My solution was to keep the vast majority of my albums on TuneShell and only use Onkyo for 24/48 and above resolution albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back