Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 8, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,457 of 42,765
Nov 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,458 of 42,765
Nov 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,459 of 42,765
I would like to recommend the focal solo6 be, they sound wonderful with my Hugo but are pretty big. Genelecs would be good too, as would Adams.

I do love my focals though be cause despite being very accurate studio monitors they remain slightly sweet in the midrange and musical, more so than most studio monitors :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,460 of 42,765
  thanks greenbow.
and so the moneysink begins!

the kef x300a is absolutely gorgeous. they're out of my range, but beautiful nonetheless.
if you end up coming across some convincing reviews or any other setups, make sure to post.
i'll hunkering down doing more research; i hope to be pretty thrifty with this purchase if i can. :)

by the way, what would indicate to me that a speaker is indeed self-amplified/powered? the b&w 685 s2 for instance?

The three I mentioned seem to be the cream of the crop under £350. There is also the Audioengine A5+ (must be the + model). Just search for reviews on them. I think I like the priciest of the four I mentioned so far, the Q Acoustics. That's because I read they are not fussy about placement. 

Active or powered speaker like these have the amplifier built in. Passive speakers like the B+W 685 S2 need an external amp. Those B+W are seriously tempting though, haha.

Personally I think speakers are an essential and relaxing listen now and again, if you're mostly a DAC+headphone listener.

@musicheaven I am open to all suggestions, and am digging about at the moment on this subject.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,461 of 42,765
I hope summer never comes back to the UK... There is zero chance of me fitting my triple stack in a jeans pocket :frowning2:

In other news, whilst we're approaching winter in the UK, jacket pocket is a winner :)

Still baffles me how good a sound you can get out of an MP3 file when having a good enough front end... This set up allows me to go back to some of the hidden depths of my music collection and enjoy :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,462 of 42,765
  thanks greenbow.
and so the moneysink begins!

the kef x300a is absolutely gorgeous. they're out of my range, but beautiful nonetheless.
if you end up coming across some convincing reviews or any other setups, make sure to post.
i'll hunkering down doing more research; i hope to be pretty thrifty with this purchase if i can. :)

by the way, what would indicate to me that a speaker is indeed self-amplified/powered? the b&w 685 s2 for instance?

The Kef x300a is good for the price, but bear in mind that the analog input is not a true analog input, it goes through an ADC inside and then goes through the internal DAC once more. Thus, you're really wasting any external dac that's being used, as the conversions to and fro within the x300a will limit sound quality to be on the level of the internal dac. So if you're planning to use the mojo with it there are probably better options out there
smily_headphones1.gif

@OK-Guy
@CosmicHolyGhost
Thank you for the suggestions for active speakers.

I have the X300A's and they are superb, but sadly, as we know, not really ideal for partnering output from the Mojo with :)

If you are on a lower budget, I can HIGHLY recommend the Audioengine A5+ , I have the original A5's and there's an inherent musicality to them which is just addictive. They deserve a proper placement and reward with good sources. I just love mine; they get MUCH more airtime than the Kef's; mainly because of their flexibility. I have to hook up a PC to the Kefs and its not always convenient.

The A5's reward, in their intimacy, fun, boppy, funky sound. They have great dynamics and pace and quite good detail and space too. Honestly they are a worthy contender for a relatively small amount of $

ps.. .they go very loud too, make great party speakers.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,463 of 42,765
Mojo with either my Sennheiser IE800, JH Angie and FAD Piano Forte VIII all sounds great!!!

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,465 of 42,765
Please I am curious to know about playing the Mojo while charging. The Mojo manual says this,
"We recommend charging with Mojo switched off.
Charging with Mojo switched on and playing is possible, but the time taken to fully charge will be
considerably longer and depending on volume level and headphone load the battery."

I don't mind how long the Mojo takes to charge while playing. What I need to know is, whether it's successful charging and playing at the same time. This is a deal breaker for me. I intend to use my DAC on desktop quite a lot. In fact my current Meridian Explorer is plugged in all the time to my PC. I see a Mojo doing 90% of it's life on my desktop. (NB I don't mind having to charge the Mojo for taking out and about.)

The concern I have is that I read the unit uses 1.7W while playing. However if I have a 1W charger. I don't see how the unit would charge and play at the same time.

The crux of the matter is this. If I start a day with no charge, can I plug the Mojo in and listen at the same time? Otherwise I literally have to wait four hours for it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,466 of 42,765
  Please I am curious to know about playing the Mojo while charging. The Mojo manual says this,
"We recommend charging with Mojo switched off.
Charging with Mojo switched on and playing is possible, but the time taken to fully charge will be
considerably longer and depending on volume level and headphone load the battery."

I don't mind how long the Mojo takes to charge while playing. What I need to know is, whether it's successful charging and playing at the same time. This is a deal breaker for me. I intend to use my DAC on desktop quite a lot. In fact my current Meridian Explorer is plugged in all the time to my PC. I see a Mojo doing 90% of it's life on my desktop. (NB I don't mind having to charge the Mojo for taking out and about.)

The concern I have is that I read the unit uses 1.7W while playing. However if I have a 1W charger. I don't see how the unit would charge and play at the same time.

The crux of the matter is this. If I start a day with no charge, can I plug the Mojo in and listen at the same time? Otherwise I literally have to wait four hours for it.

Course you can. No problem. Doing it now. It sounds just ggggreat!

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4,467 of 42,765
Course you can. No problem. Doing it now. It sounds just ggggreat!

Concur. It gets warm, but I haven't had any issues charging and playing at the same time. Cheers

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4,468 of 42,765
I hope summer never comes back to the UK... There is zero chance of me fitting my triple stack in a jeans pocket
frown.gif

In other news, whilst we're approaching winter in the UK, jacket pocket is a winner
smily_headphones1.gif

Still baffles me how good a sound you can get out of an MP3 file when having a good enough front end... This set up allows me to go back to some of the hidden depths of my music collection and enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Hurrah for old MP3s ! If it's a good master it's a good sound. I disgraced myself at the Deezer MP3 v Redbook Test. The more I did the test the worse I got.... I think the pressure was too much

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,470 of 42,765
How many watts charger do I need for it then please, to play and charge?

In my case I don't mind if it takes hours and hours to reach full charge while playing. My charger is 1A.

I recommend the Anker Powerport 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back