Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,426 of 42,765
True, I remember that. Now how is this done? On other occasions it was stated both ouput stages be identical. I just wonder how (and if) the Mojo's audible drop-off compared to the Hugo can be measured. BTW, I also have to apply a 0.2 dB decrease between 100 and 300 Hz to make it sound more similar to the Hugo, beside the treble increase.

But don't get me wrong: I like the Sound of the Mojo nonetheless.

What was your treble increase again? Curious, you prefer the minor 100 and 300 Hz reduction. Not saying anything wrong with it, just interesting to know your preference.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,427 of 42,765

I keep seeing that the Mojo sounds amazing, lots of happy Customers by the looks.

Unfortunately I don't do 'technical' that's above my pay-grade, I just roll-out old answers that I've been advised on previously, hth... 
regular_smile%20.gif

lol. I like it!

Im quite happy if there's a slight treble rolloff, should complement my K3003's like a charm!!

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #4,429 of 42,765

True, I remember that. Now how is this done? On other occasions it was stated both ouput stages be identical. I just wonder how (and if) the Mojo's audible drop-off compared to the Hugo can be measured. BTW, I also have to apply a 0.2 dB decrease between 100 and 300 Hz to make it sound more similar to the Hugo, beside the treble increase.

But don't get me wrong: I like the Sound of the Mojo nonetheless.

What was your treble increase again? Curious, you prefer the minor 100 and 300 Hz reduction. Not saying anything wrong with it, just interesting to know your preference.

It isn't a preference, just the result of trying to get the sound closer to the Hugo. About the treble increase I'm still undecided: Initially I tried a minor 16 kHz increase, but ended up in increasing the whole treble range by 0.2 dB, which seemed to get it closer to the Hugo. Now I'm trying to rely on the measurements at hand – but I can't seem to get the sound perfectly identical either way. The Mojo continues to sound slightly drier – which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #4,430 of 42,765
  ah, so, that being the case,
a dedicated amp would only be useful towards the b6. it'd be redundant towards the grado.

guess it is in my best interests to find a powered speaker that meshes well with the mojo's line out then.

I am looking at active speakers. At the moment I am considering the:
Wharfedale DS-1
Ruark Audio MR1
Q Acoustics Q-BT3

I am looking to find out news about more upmarket ones too but, I don't know of any yet.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #4,432 of 42,765
Nov 8, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,433 of 42,765
It isn't a preference, just the result of trying to get the sound closer to the Hugo. About the treble increase I'm still undecided: Initially I tried a minor 16 kHz increase, but ended up in increasing the whole treble range by 0.2 dB, which seemed to get it closer to the Hugo. Now I'm trying to rely on the measurements at hand – but I can't seem to get the sound perfectly identical either way. The Mojo continues to sound slightly drier – which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sure it's a preference. You prefer to EQ toward the Hugo. :wink_face:

In all seriousness though, I'm interested in your findings and it seems the Mojo really isn't that far off from the Hugo if you're using 0.2 dB increments of EQ. I don't have the Hugo so I wouldn't be able to say.

Thanks, looking forward to reading what you end up with. :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4,434 of 42,765

I am looking at active speakers. At the moment I am considering the:
Wharfedale DS-1
Ruark Audio MR1
Q Acoustics Q-BT3

I am looking to find out news about more upmarket ones too but, I don't know of any yet.

if you have the space, Focal SM9 gets very good reviews:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focal_sm9_left.htm

if not,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focal_solo_6_be.htm

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,435 of 42,765

Sure it's a preference. You prefer to EQ toward the Hugo.
wink_face.gif

In all seriousness though, I'm interested in your findings and it seems the Mojo really isn't that far off from the Hugo if you're using 0.2 dB increments of EQ. I don't have the Hugo so I wouldn't be able to say.

Thanks, looking forward to reading what you end up with.
smily_headphones1.gif

My sonic preference is reflected by the custom EQ curves for my several ear- and headphones stored in my FiiO players. Some of the IEM curves have to be very slightly modified for the use with the Hugo instead of the player's headphone out. Now to adapt the sound with the Mojo to the sound with the (Hugo) presets I have to decrease the upper bass and to increase the treble.

I'm not sure if I'll get Mojo and Hugo any closer, but will report if I succeed. Maybe I'll just have to live with the difference. Fortunately I like both characteristics. One thing I'm rather sure about though is that the Hugo sounds more natural.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #4,436 of 42,765
  I'm not sure if I'll get Mojo and Hugo any closer, but will report if I succeed. Maybe I'll just have to live with the difference. Fortunately I like both characteristics. One thing I'm rather sure about though is that the Hugo sounds more natural.

Jazz... sit back, relax and enjoy yourself, two choices that you like can't be a bad thing.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #4,437 of 42,765
would be interesting to see the impedance of the iem above w 8 drivers as a function of frequency...

Here we go (I have the Pro version):

But again the Mojo has 0.075 ohms, no aviable IEM with multiple drivers would has any better source if you go for that, if you look for a really low output impedance source. This change can't be from the output impedance of the Mojo.

Here the same IEM on Mojo and a other dac/amp I own.

Mojo (0.075 ohms):

Other dac/amp (0.5 ohms):

Again the bass roll off is not from the two dac/amps. Both dac/amps don't have any bass change, straight flat line, it's the sound card itself. Only look and compare the treble nothing more. Both dac/amps below 1 ohms... And single driver IEM are not affected and the impendance itself of this single driver IEMs don't matter too.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #4,439 of 42,765

Here we go (I have the Pro version):

But again the Mojo has 0.075 ohms, no aviable IEM with multiple drivers would has any better source if you go for that, if you look for a really low output impedance source. This change can't be from the output impedance of the Mojo.

Here the same IEM on Mojo and a other dac/amp I own.

Mojo (0.075 ohms):

Other dac/amp (0.5 ohms):

Again the bass roll off is not from the two dac/amps. Both dac/amps don't have any bass change, straight flat line, it's the sound card itself. Only look and compare the treble nothing more. Both dac/amps below 1 ohms... And single driver IEM are not affected and the impendance itself of this single driver IEMs don't matter too.

No expert here, but can You explain in a few words, how does Your sound card makes bass roll off, while You measure different device (Mojo)?

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #4,440 of 42,765

No expert here, but can You explain in a few words, how does Your sound card makes bass roll off, while You measure different device (Mojo)?

Because the sound card has this "built-in". It's not for professional usage. The same happens with other sound cards, like the Behringer UCA202, which had has a great line-out stage, but bad line-in stage (which is needed for measuremets in this case), seems this comes from the used capacitors that roll off low frequencies, or other not good implementation what ever. But this doesn't change anything with the results we now have, because if you compare both, it makes no sense with the small treble roll off, since both devices really are below 1 ohms output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back