Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4,441 of 42,765

Because the sound card has this "built-in". It's not for professional usage. The same happens with other sound cards, like the Behringer UCA202, which had has a great line-out stage, but bad line-in stage (which is needed for measuremets in this case), seems this comes from the used capacitors that roll off low frequencies, or other not good implementation what ever. But this doesn't change anything with the results we now have, because if you compare both, it makes no sense with the small treble roll off, since both devices really are below 1 ohms output impedance.

Understood. So You have to admit that You are no 100% sure Your sound card does not affect Your measure results in this particular case.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,442 of 42,765
  Understood. So You have to admit that You are no 100% sure Your sound card does not affect Your measure results in this particular case.

Did you see the both results? I can do this 100 times, or use an other sound card, it is always the same result. All my dac/amps under 1 ohms have ruler flat results, only Mojo has slight treble roll off. All is good here, Rob Watts already answered to this "result" shortly: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4320#post_12058437

Again I have no problem with SQ all is good with Mojo... only want to know what exactly causes this nothing more. :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #4,443 of 42,765

I'm not sure if I'll get Mojo and Hugo any closer, but will report if I succeed. Maybe I'll just have to live with the difference. Fortunately I like both characteristics. One thing I'm rather sure about though is that the Hugo sounds more natural.

Jazz... sit back, relax and enjoy yourself, two choices that you like can't be a bad thing.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (actually already stated the opposite), but I can't relax before I know what's going on – technically. I'm just highly interested in seeing on paper what I hear with my ears. There are enough people who don't care about techncalities, some even add an amp to Mojo and Hugo thinking it might «improve» the sound
cool.gif
(as you may know). Well, in the case of a HF drop-off at low impedances at least this aspect could halfways justify their approach.

would be interesting to see the impedance of the iem above w 8 drivers as a function of frequency...

Here we go (I have the Pro version):

But again the Mojo has 0.075 ohms, no aviable IEM with multiple drivers would has any better source if you go for that, if you look for a really low output impedance source. This change can't be from the output impedance of the Mojo.

Here the same IEM on Mojo and a other dac/amp I own.

Mojo (0.075 ohms):

Other dac/amp (0.5 ohms):

Again the bass roll off is not from the two dac/amps. Both dac/amps don't have any bass change, straight flat line, it's the sound card itself. Only look and compare the treble nothing more. Both dac/amps below 1 ohms... And single driver IEM are not affected and the impendance itself of this single driver IEMs don't matter too.

The interesting point would be the impedance curve of the IEM. That's what Miko has asked for.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #4,444 of 42,765
  The interesting point would be the impedance curve of the IEM. That's what Miko has asked for.

You need to ask Piotr from The Custom Art for that...

Btw. why you don't measure by yourself your IEMs and the Mojo / Hugo ? I don't believe all IEMs will have the same change, I only have currently only one multiple driver IEM, so I can't do more testing on that, since my results showed us with single driver IEMs all keeps flat, always.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4,446 of 42,765
Can I use the Mojo with the AK JR? thx in advance.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #4,447 of 42,765

You need to ask Piotr from The Custom Art for that...

Btw. why you don't measure by yourself your IEMs and the Mojo / Hugo ? I don't believe all IEMs will have the same change, I only have currently only one multiple driver IEM, so I can't do more testing on that, since my results showed us with single driver IEMs all keeps flat, always.

Currently I don't have a soundcard – the E-MU 1212 in my old (reserve) computer is dead.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4,448 of 42,765

I am looking at active speakers. At the moment I am considering the:
Wharfedale DS-1
Ruark Audio MR1
Q Acoustics Q-BT3

I am looking to find out news about more upmarket ones too but, I don't know of any yet.

thanks greenbow.
and so the moneysink begins!

the kef x300a is absolutely gorgeous. they're out of my range, but beautiful nonetheless.
if you end up coming across some convincing reviews or any other setups, make sure to post.
i'll hunkering down doing more research; i hope to be pretty thrifty with this purchase if i can. :)

by the way, what would indicate to me that a speaker is indeed self-amplified/powered? the b&w 685 s2 for instance?

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,449 of 42,765
  Can I use the Mojo with the AK JR? thx in advance.

AFAIK, the AK Jr does not have a digital-output (someone claimed theirs did, but showed no convincing evidence to support their claim).

Therefore, if the AK Jr does not have a digital-output, then it cannot be used with the Mojo.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #4,450 of 42,765
thank you.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #4,452 of 42,765
@OK-Guy

@CosmicHolyGhost

Thank you for the suggestions for active speakers.

The Kef x300a is good for the price, but bear in mind that the analog input is not a true analog input, it goes through an ADC inside and then goes through the internal DAC once more. Thus, you're really wasting any external dac that's being used, as the conversions to and fro within the x300a will limit sound quality to be on the level of the internal dac. So if you're planning to use the mojo with it there are probably better options out there :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #4,453 of 42,765
The Kef x300a is good for the price, but bear in mind that the analog input is not a true analog input, it goes through an ADC inside and then goes through the internal DAC once more. Thus, you're really wasting any external dac that's being used, as the conversions to and fro within the x300a will limit sound quality to be on the level of the internal dac. So if you're planning to use the mojo with it there are probably better options out there
smily_headphones1.gif

anything specifically you'd rec? :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,455 of 42,765
I am looking at active speakers. At the moment I am considering the:
Wharfedale DS-1
Ruark Audio MR1
Q Acoustics Q-BT3

I am looking to find out news about more upmarket ones too but, I don't know of any yet.

You're in the same boat than I am but my choices are quite different and they have evolved over time. At the moment I am considering the following:

Genelec M030 or M040
Eve Sc205 and possibly TS107 to TS108 (the sub might be for a near future).

I gather in you case you want to go with audiophile grade monitors as opposed to studio based.

Have you had a chance to listen to them at a dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back