Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #39,571 of 42,765
What is the best AND cheap DAP for Mojo Currently I have lg v30+ But would like to have a dedicated player for Mojo.

Any DAP that can transmit the correct sampling rate to Mojo. That narrows down your choices quite a bit :)

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #39,573 of 42,765
Xduoo X-10Tii

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #39,574 of 42,765
I have a question about the mojo. I bought one last week ago and used it on my smartphone with bit perfect usb. The sound was slightly harsh but i had a huge stage with awesome depth. Now i use it on my onkyo dp-s1 via usb also bit perfect and the sound is much more detailed, clearer and more "analog" BUT the stage is completly gone. It sounds like a wall. You have no depth, all things sound in your face and the distants between the instruments is very small. I this normal? Why does the smartphone and the player sounds completly different?

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #39,575 of 42,765
I have a question about the mojo. I bought one last week ago and used it on my smartphone with bit perfect usb. The sound was slightly harsh but i had a huge stage with awesome depth. Now i use it on my onkyo dp-s1 via usb also bit perfect and the sound is much more detailed, clearer and more "analog" BUT the stage is completly gone. It sounds like a wall. You have no depth, all things sound in your face and the distants between the instruments is very small. I this normal? Why does the smartphone and the player sounds completly different?
Probably the signal from your phone includes RFI picked up by the cable, or electrical noise transmitted from your phones internal components via the wires.
This noise causes problems with the dac analogue ground plane, and affects the accuracy with which the ears/brain can perceive the stop/start of music transients.
This reduction in accuracy, then affects the accuracy with which the brain can 'position' individual instruments on the soundstage.
@Rob Watts has made several posts about soundstage, for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-427#post-12141342
A quick search for posts by him, using terms like stage or focus, should provide several interesting posts to read.

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #39,576 of 42,765
Probably the signal from your phone includes RFI picked up by the cable, or electrical noise transmitted from your phones internal components via the wires.
This noise causes problems with the dac analogue ground plane, and affects the accuracy with which the ears/brain can perceive the stop/start of music transients.
This reduction in accuracy, then affects the accuracy with which the brain can 'position' individual instruments on the soundstage.
@Rob Watts has made several posts about soundstage, for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-427#post-12141342
A quick search for posts by him, using terms like stage or focus, should provide several interesting posts to read.

What I don't understand is why someone who knows so much about RFI (Mr. Watts) creates a unit with such crazy RFI issues. My cheaper NX4 has none, zero, absolute zero RFI issues. Did something in the technology change between the release/design of the Mojo and the NX4? Why can Topping give me a good streaming experience and the Mojo be parked for offline mode only? Bewildering.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #39,578 of 42,765
Has anyone tried mojo with kann? impressions?

Hmm might be the same as any decent source you pair with the Mojo... Might even be worse than pairing with iPhone (I think Apple Devices have very clear digital signal out)

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #39,579 of 42,765
I can confirm that I hear quite a difference between using the Mojo with the iPhone and the FiiO M11, both connected through USB. So, it seems to me that "all bit-perfect sources are equal, but some sources are more equal than others."

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #39,580 of 42,765
Its strange that the mojo on my smartphone have a very much deeper and wider stage than on my onkyo player. The stage on onkyo is extreme narrow and flat like a wall. The sound is much more detailed and cleaner but i don't like it how flat the stage is. Next month i will buy the tempotec V1 as source for the mojo and i hope this "issue" will be gone.

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #39,581 of 42,765
Its strange that the mojo on my smartphone have a very much deeper and wider stage than on my onkyo player. The stage on onkyo is extreme narrow and flat like a wall. The sound is much more detailed and cleaner but i don't like it how flat the stage is. Next month i will buy the tempotec V1 as source for the mojo and i hope this "issue" will be gone.
Do you have the problem of the flat stage, with all music tracks, just a few tracks, or just a single track?

@Rob Watts has made many posts about depth in soundstage. Sometimes the music track has little/no depth, because that is what the sound engineer intended, and the Mojo will never be able to recreate depth, where there was none to start with.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-57#post-12124866
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-180#post-12534363

If the original recording did have good depth, then the ability to reproduce that depth, is down to small signal amplitude linearity.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-729#post-14042572
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-41#post-12035700

Note the reference to 'that normally tells me that the perception of depth is truncated, which is indicative of correlated noise from the source degrading small signals and hence degrading depth perception'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-942#post-14459210
The implication is that your Onkyo has narrow soundstage, so the music is well focused, and the lack of depth is down to the fact that there is little depth in the original recording.
Conversely the fact that your smartphone has a very much deeper and wider stage, is indicative of poor soundstage focus, possibly due to your phone transmitting small signal noise along the cable into the dac.
You clearly believe that your Onkyo is the weak link. I believe that the weak link is your phone.
Your findings with the Tempotec will be interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #39,582 of 42,765
The mojo sounds great as a desktop dac but as a mobile device connected to an iPhone is a let down due to rf noise or whatever is that noise when it’s close to my mobile phone. I owned two of these and sold them because of this issue. No MObile JOy... I am really surprised why it keeps receiving 5 stars with this major issue which makes it not fit for use as a mobile device.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #39,583 of 42,765
The mojo sounds great as a desktop dac but as a mobile device connected to an iPhone is a let down due to rf noise or whatever is that noise when it’s close to my mobile phone. I owned two of these and sold them because of this issue. No MObile JOy... I am really surprised why it keeps receiving 5 stars with this major issue which makes it not fit for use as a mobile device.

What about EMI blocking pouch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back