Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #14,116 of 22,475
Search for my post describing direct driving wharfedale speakers. If wired is ok, any similar type of speakers will give better sound quality than most Bluetooth speakers.

Yeah your post w/pic of Sir Paul McCartney playing bass on it - saw it. Not really any information there though. Just that you rigged RCA connecting cable. Would try the old Wharfdale's driving direct from H2 if could find pair in good condition, but as they are long gone from production unlikely to acquire. A pair on eBay seen, though they're beat. AudioEngine A2+ common enough. Pairing with H2 definitely overkill and A2+ won't give most of what H2 provides - but that's acceptable as they are budget speakers. No interest in wireless speaker connection, but if it's included and doesn't degrade wired connection that's OK. Would likely try Bluetooth/WiFi just for giggles (-:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #14,117 of 22,475
If that's your post w/ pic of monitor w/ Sir Paul McCartney playing bass on it - saw it. Not really any information there though. Just that you rigged an RCA connecting cable. Would try those old Wharfdales driving direct from H2 if I could find pair in very good condition, but as there are long gone from production unlikely I'll locate a pair. A pair on eBay seen is beat to hell. The AudioEngine A2+ are common enough, but have no idea how to connect H2 to them, and no idea what maximum resolution file playback is possible with them (though suspect it will be 44.1/16 or not much more) from bypassing AudioEngine built-in DAC with H2. H2 is overkill and then some for A2+ speakers, but like to put it to use besides listening with headphones. I'm no newbie to hifi having owned Harbeth's and some other even more exotic full range speakers along with digital players like the Lumin A1. I'm out of the large component game for what remaining time I have among the living. At my age and with my miniscule living space, no room for other than really small powered and/or super-efficient speakers. Thank you for your reply.
Paul McCartney? That was John Wetton. :wink:
Treat the Wharfedales as illustrative.
They are 86dB efficiency, and the H2 can drive them loud enough at approx 50% volume.
The H2 should be able to drive other speakers that are 86dB or better.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #14,118 of 22,475
They are 86dB efficiency, and the H2 can drive them loud enough at approx 50% volume.
John Wetton? Do you have a link? He and John De Campe had that driving bass sound that I liked in Renaissance.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #14,120 of 22,475
that brought back a few memories, always loved 'Northern Lights as a tune though really never delved into Renaissance.

a great Welsh bass player is Pino Palladino (massively underrated imo), played with various groups but really is the nuts when playing in the 'John Mayer Trio', check out Vultures 'live' on YouTube for great walking bass playing.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #14,121 of 22,475

Oh. My error. The face was obscured, but hair and top of bass made me think of McCartney circa 1990's. McCartney liked Hofner's, but couldn't make out the bass in your picture clearly enough. Must remind myself that many on head-fi are much younger than I and reference musicians they grew up with, not so much ones from their grandparents generation. Understand Wharfdale was illustrative, but as you had experience using that one - I found it interesting information.
mccartney.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #14,123 of 22,475
...and getting stronger with every game :smile_phones:
Maybe OT for some, but you guys may be able to provide an interesting viewpoint.
My origins are in the Midlands, and i was very impressed by the way the current WHU owners + karen bradley acted as stewards/owners of Birmingham City.
As a neutral, I was sad to see them leave.
So now to WHU, the interesting questions to me are related to what has now changed this season.
All the reports that I have read recently, indicate that WHU made some good player deals this summer, and maybe some players will take a few matches to bed down fully.
The biggest question in my mind relates to the stadium. I fully appreciate that the owners negotiated a good cost deal, only having to pay rent for match days.
However has this removed the 'psychological home' for both players and fans? Do you think that this sense of a 'home' is important for both fans and players?

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #14,126 of 22,475
Oh. My error. The face was obscured, but hair and top of bass made me think of McCartney circa 1990's. McCartney liked Hofner's, but couldn't make out the bass in your picture clearly enough. Must remind myself that many on head-fi are much younger than I and reference musicians they grew up with, not so much ones from their grandparents generation. Understand Wharfdale was illustrative, but as you had experience using that one - I found it interesting information.
Don't worry - the face was partially obscured. :slight_smile:
The interesting aspect is that some music from the 70s/80s has stood the test of time, and can now be enjoyed using chord dacs. How I wish the Mojo had been available in the 1980s LOL.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #14,127 of 22,475
Maybe OT for some, but you guys may be able to provide an interesting viewpoint.
My origins are in the Midlands, and i was very impressed by the way the current WHU owners + karen bradley acted as stewards/owners of Birmingham City.
As a neutral, I was sad to see them leave.
So now to WHU, the interesting questions to me are related to what has now changed this season.
All the reports that I have read recently, indicate that WHU made some good player deals this summer, and maybe some players will take a few matches to bed down fully.
The biggest question in my mind relates to the stadium. I fully appreciate that the owners negotiated a good cost deal, only having to pay rent for match days.
However has this removed the 'psychological home' for both players and fans? Do you think that this sense of a 'home' is important for both fans and players?
A well observed point. They do not have a proper home or a proper football stadium. The fans are too far away (from home and from the action). It's like Spurs playing at Wembley, only worse. The transients are mistimed...

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #14,128 of 22,475
I'm 0 for 2 today. Steve Howe was producer of Martin Taylor's Artistry album. It's a Jazz themed album. Listening again it sounds like it's multi-tracked with Martin playing with Martin. Maybe some Steve Howe playing on album in the mix too. allmusic.com has samples as do other websites.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #14,129 of 22,475
A well observed point. They do not have a proper home or a proper football stadium. The fans are too far away (from home and from the action). It's like Spurs playing at Wembley, only worse. The transients are mistimed...

Mike & your good self make some good points... I, like many, absolutely refuse to go to that manure-hole of a Stadium. I mean, who in their right mind would sell their home that's paid for to go renting? To make things worse we've swapped a nice claustrophobic ground with a fearsome imposing atmosphere, for a dump where you need to invest in a hybrid Hubble-telescope to see the pitch. There is no real atmosphere at the OS, you may get the odd enthusiastic chant but most are on their way home 15mins before the final whistle... there's a new-breed of fan at West Ham now, they buy popcorn instead of pies, Starbucks coffee over flat-beer... progress huh.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #14,130 of 22,475
My query to rob watts ! I recently started using shanling m0 as transport to Hugo 2 with short silver L2 micro-usbc cable . I put three small ferrite in the cable. I can clearly experience wider soundstage and blacker background as compared to optical in. I can confirm shanling m0 to be bit perfect because it outputs DSD dop preencoded to hugo2 and Hugo 2 takes it . What may be the reason ? Is shanling padding 24 bit to 32 bit ? All in all shanling m0 is proving to be a very good transport.

I am a bit worried when you say it's a wider soundstage - that normally tells me that the perception of depth is truncated, which is indicative of correlated noise from the source degrading small signals and hence degrading depth perception. This effect would be eliminated by optical, as the ideal isolation that optical gives stops this possibility from happening. Give it another listen, and check for two things only - how deep instruments that have depth encoded are and listen to which source is warmer and smoother. The source that has best warmth and deeper depth is the better one - and USB should only equal the performance of bit perfect optical in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back