Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #34,921 of 42,765
It should actually extend the total life span. Lithium batteries have no memory effect and short charge cycles are a good thing for overal lifespan. Completely discharging them regularly is not recommended in general as that is stressful for lithium batteries. The general rule is to not discharge lithium batteries below 20% and not charge more than 80% for the ultimate in lifespan. However, it is recommended to discharge and then fully recharge the lithium battery once a month to ‘calibrate’ the batteries charge meter.

Of course these are best practices for all lithium batteries and each user will no doubt have their preferred charging habits.

Very helpful. And happy to ear that I was already follow the “rule” without knowing.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #34,922 of 42,765
Hi just have bought an mojo and wondering how to best feed this to external headphoneamp. I guess connecting a 3,5mm-2 rca to one of the headphones output and put mojo in line level mode will work?

I heard some harsh sss sounds with voices with hd 800s when listening straight from mojo with apple music. Maybe connecting to an external amp takes the edge off.

Anyone got reccomendations for 3,5mm-2rca quality cables?

Does mojo have a burn in time?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #34,923 of 42,765
Hi just have bought an mojo and wondering how to best feed this to external headphoneamp. I guess connecting a 3,5mm-2 rca to one of the headphones output and put mojo in line level mode will work?

I heard some harsh sss sounds with voices with hd 800s when listening straight from mojo with apple music. Maybe connecting to an external amp takes the edge off.

OMG, do you find sibilance in Mojo presentation??? Maybe I am deaf (or you) (I'm kidding), but Mojo isn't totally harsh to my ears. Is the opposite, I find it too "warm" and roll off in highs.

Also, I didn't like it so much as headphone amp because the narrow soundstage and because the sound is not that dynamic on my HD650 but I am testing it with the AQ Nighthawk and It steal my heart as hifi chain dac because not only is very detailed in the middle and middle low, not only it's bass are very controlled and tight (like I used a parametric EQ in my room) but it made my chain and speakers less "fatiguing" than my other desktop dac.

So, ironically, I am seriously thinking that I will totally devote the Mojo as my mainly dac in the desktop chain and I will take the desktop dac in my bedroom and use it as dac/amp headphones.

The enabling line level mode of the Mojo is written in the manual and here in the faq while, at least for me, I won't buy for now a jack-rca cable but a jack-rca adapter (the one of Audioquest, 10 dollars/euros about) and use with my standard rca cable.

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #34,924 of 42,765

Audioquest Tower or Evergreen will do a fine job. Please see links below.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-T...uest+tower+Audio+Interconnect+1m+3.5mm+to+RCA
https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-E...+Evergreen+Audio+Interconnect+1m+3.5mm+to+RCA

As for burn in time, I recommend a "minimum" of 24-hrs.. After breaking in the Mojo, I also recommend that it be warmed up from the "off" position by playing music at a medium volume level for a "minimum" of 10-min. before critically listening to it.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #34,925 of 42,765
He could buy just a good adapter if already he owns a good rca to rca cable.

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #34,926 of 42,765
Dear John Franks,

I bought my Chord Mojo at Max Schlundt Culture Technology in Berlin, Germany in February 2016. It´s sonic performance never failed on my: I had memorably experiences listening to Andras Schiff´s interpretation of Schubert´s Piano Sonata, Miles´ Sketches of Spain or Jlin´s Dark Energy. But after about 18 months, the Mojo stopped working. I wasn’t able to turn in on anymore. I brought it to the store where I bought it and they sent it to Chord´s representative in Germany, Mr Olaf Adam at G8 & friends GmbH. Two months (!) later, they got back to me. The want me to pay about 220 Euros (260 US$, 195 Pound Sterling) for a new battery, which is almost half the price of a new Mojo.

Chord grants a 1 year warranty for the battery. But in Germany we have a 2-year-defects liability. I believe you should fix the Mojo on account of the 2-year-defects liability. If the DAC not usable after 18 months, there must have been an issue when I bought it. But Mr. Adam argues Chord´s batteries only fail within the first months of use. If this was not the case, I must have used it wrongly (which I did not do, I am an avid hifi user of 30 years experience dating back to my parents Thorens record player in the 70s ). I think it´s just rude and insulting. I am writing to you directly as you state something very different about Mojo´s battery performance.

At this point, I am really just saddened by my Chord experience which is dragging on for 3 month now. I was looking forward to play music to my family at christmas. This is not happening.

A. Waltz

This is why I rather hurriedly sold my Mojo, while it was working ok. I am not interested in being at the mercy of people like "Mr. Adam". Perhaps it is time that Chord reviewed who they licence to sell their products. At the end of the day, Chord is responsible for this state of affairs since they choose who is allowed to sell their products, and I assume they provide some kind of instructions and training to these sellers.

As far as I can tell Mr. Adams is also in breach of German regulations and should for this reason be reported to the authorities who will then decide how he should be dealt with.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #34,927 of 42,765
This is why I rather hurriedly sold my Mojo, while it was working ok. I am not interested in being at the mercy of people like "Mr. Adam". Perhaps it is time that Chord reviewed who they licence to sell their products. At the end of the day, Chord is responsible for this state of affairs since they choose who is allowed to sell their products, and I assume they provide some kind of instructions and training to these sellers.

As far as I can tell Mr. Adams is also in breach of German regulations and should for this reason be reported to the authorities who will then decide how he should be dealt with.

Yeah but fitting a new battery is easy. Probably completely done inside five minutes. .......... All you have to do is buy one from Chord Electronics. They send you the battery, and stuff you need to fit it, like thermal pad I think.

Just over one year along and my battery is still exactly as long lasting as it was when new. Might be something to do with Li-Po batteries having no battery memory.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #34,928 of 42,765
@RiseFall123

I do understand you thoughts about the Mojo being battery operated. I was recently thinking very carefully about buying a Chord 2Qute. (Quite happy in the knowledge that a 2Qute 2 could be released soon.)

The 2Qute being £1000 is a more steep financial investment over the Mojo, but sturdily worth it. People generally say the 2Qute is more neutral and deeper in the bass. However since I read up on 'desktop mode' of the Hugo 2, I chose that DAC instead. I also realised that I was going to prefer having a headphone socket on my DAC.

The Mojo though is a staggering DAC for the cost. Even run on battery regularly my Mojo battery life has remained as it was. It's not lost one minute of playing time, in a little over a year since new. I also found it fitted around my lifestyle and that I fitted around it equally, charging and playing when needed. ... Whatever you do, I think you are onto a winning formula. If you keep the Mojo, you can't go wrong. If you change tactic and buy another Chord DAC, now you understand their qualities, you still onto a winner.

I hope you get settled with what you do though. I can add that your Chord DAC will only get better, as you upgrade you other system components. After upgrading mine, I was quite knocked out by the Mojo. I think only because I need an excellent DAC for playing in Cubase, is why I bought the Hugo 2. My Mojo was good enough, so I guess bit of upgrade addiction, and gut feeling took part in my decision also. .... Anyway please let us know if you stick with Chord.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #34,929 of 42,765
I already ended the returning time so I already kept the mojo with me, now i am testing it with all my stuff trying to find out the better pairing.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #34,931 of 42,765
OMG, do you find sibilance in Mojo presentation??? Maybe I am deaf (or you) (I'm kidding), but Mojo isn't totally harsh to my ears. Is the opposite, I find it too "warm" and roll off in highs.

Also, I didn't like it so much as headphone amp because the narrow soundstage and because the sound is not that dynamic on my HD650 but I am testing it with the AQ Nighthawk and It steal my heart as hifi chain dac because not only is very detailed in the middle and middle low, not only it's bass are very controlled and tight (like I used a parametric EQ in my room) but it made my chain and speakers less "fatiguing" than my other desktop dac.

So, ironically, I am seriously thinking that I will totally devote the Mojo as my mainly dac in the desktop chain and I will take the desktop dac in my bedroom and use it as dac/amp headphones.

The enabling line level mode of the Mojo is written in the manual and here in the faq while, at least for me, I won't buy for now a jack-rca cable but a jack-rca adapter (the one of Audioquest, 10 dollars/euros about) and use with my standard rca cable.
Yes i found it sibilance with hd 800s compared to project prebox s2 digital which i recently tried.

Good thinking getting an adapter instead because i own expensive quality rca cables already.

Btw does mojo have fw uppgrades?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #34,932 of 42,765
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #34,933 of 42,765
Didn’t get the sense your sentence (my bad English maybe),

Ah OK, sorry language.

When I said, "Oh I just noticed you have the K3 so you already know exactly where the Mojo is at.".

I meant that, you Roksan K3 and B&W speakers would easily be enough to hear the Mojo and understand its full potential.

Or,
knowing where it's at - meaning, understanding it qualities

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #34,934 of 42,765

Dear god no a DAC/amp does not have burn-in time.

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #34,935 of 42,765
Yes i found it sibilance with hd 800s compared to project prebox s2 digital which i recently tried.

Btw does mojo have fw uppgrades?

That must say more about the HD800, or something in the setup? Mojo is pretty neutral, leaning toward warm not bright.

No firmware upgrades. To update the Mojo’s FPGA would require a trip back to Chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back