Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #34,906 of 42,765
Yes, it seems both 8Player and Glider cut off the very beginning of each song (seems like less than 1/4 of a second). Also, no gapless playback. Roon supports gapless and does not cut off any music, so maybe this is an app issue or DLNA? Glider team has been very responsive, so maybe @joe28 can address this.

8Player and Glider are acting as a mediator in this scenario, informing the Poly what file should be played and where it's located on the network. The audio stream itself is not seen or processed by the DLNA app, so this may be something the Chord folks would need to look into.

I can confirm the Poly does implement the optional DLNA actions to support gapless playback, and Glider is invoking those actions, but there is still a short audible gap between tracks.

PS, I was testing this on my iPad with 8Player and switched to Glider on my iPhone, and Glider was on the same track I left off of on the iPad! Is this a DLNA feature?

The DLNA spec allows a control point to query a renderer for the currently playing track, so Glider does this on startup if the last selected renderer is still online. We're glad you like it!

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #34,907 of 42,765
8Player and Glider are acting as a mediator in this scenario, informing the Poly what file should be played and where it's located on the network. The audio stream itself is not seen or processed by the DLNA app, so this may be something the Chord folks would need to look into.

I can confirm the Poly does implement the optional DLNA actions to support gapless playback, and Glider is invoking those actions, but there is still a short audible gap between tracks.

We don't actually mean in relation to gaps between tracks, whether set to gapless or not.

The Mojo is designed to clip about half a second off the start of a track sometimes, to allow for hardware synchronisation. As far as I know, it's only when using USB, and that's how Poly connects to send music to Mojo. ... On computer, on USB, we have to alter our media centre settings.

In JRiver it goes like this.

Settings:
Play silence at start-up for hardware synchronisation (Manually select a length of silence. I chose 1 second.)

This covers when you start playing an album, or manually switch tracks. JRiver inserts a second of silence, in conjunction with the sampling frequency of the music about to be played. Thus allowing for hardware synchronisation, and eliminating pops or clicks.

However on the Poly Mojo, I am trying to figure out if this workaround can be implemented. Otherwise the Poly can clip the start of manually selected tracks. (Obviously not tracks that run on from one to the next.)

Otherwise I think I might pass on buying a Poly. Since I would only want it for just an SD-card player at least, I mean. Shame if there is no fix though.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #34,908 of 42,765
hello to you, mojo fan.
I would like your opinion.

I own Ak120II and Shanling M2s to listen to Zeus Xra.
I think resell Ak120II to acquire a mojo to associate m2s.

But, I would like to know if, it's a good choice.

Thank you

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #34,909 of 42,765
hello to you, mojo fan.
I would like your opinion.

I own Ak120II and Shanling M2s to listen to Zeus Xra.
I think resell Ak120II to acquire a mojo to associate m2s.

But, I would like to know if, it's a good choice.

Thank you

With your iems i would sell AK120ii and buy a sony WM1A and go balanced.I would keep the M2 just for fun when out and about.Imo you will get a much better return in sound.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #34,913 of 42,765
Seriously,sell the Ak120ii for around $700-800 and just save another $200 in a couple of weeks or a month,don't do sidegrades.If you had a headfone and depending on synergy it would be a different story.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #34,914 of 42,765
I bought the used Zeus.
I would like to know if the rendering of the mojo will be better and bass more important.

In my opinion it will, but it depends how you like your bass. It will not make it more “aggressive” and “full” but it will be very fast, detailed and articulate in letting you hear all the different bass notes being played distinctly. This is one of the features I enjoy most about the Mojo sound.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #34,916 of 42,765
I'm looking for bass, even if I'm looking for a little more impact.
Bass does mean different things to different people, so I would advise you to demo a Mojo before buying.
I think @jarnopp has described the Mojo bass well.
I found great pleasure in the increased detail/texture that I could hear during the bass rich sections of tracks. For example I find that the Mojo makes the bass intro to this track sound so moody, but that level of detail does not suit everyones tastes - some people are just interested in the loudest boom, boom, boom that they can get.
Perhaps you could post a few tracks that you would use to test whether the Mojo handles the bass well - then maybe some of the Mojo owners could provide some feedback for you.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #34,917 of 42,765
Does charging the battery without waiting it to be lowered or totally discharge, say charging it when it’s orange, eill damage the life of the battery?

Charging while using the unit is on is not raccomanded, but it’s only because the battery charge slower or because there is a battery damage doing that?

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #34,918 of 42,765
Does charging the battery without waiting it to be lowered or totally discharge, say charging it when it’s orange, eill damage the life of the battery?

Charging while using the unit is on is not raccomanded, but it’s only because the battery charge slower or because there is a battery damage doing that?

I generally prefer to Charge the Mojo overnight, and the use it during the day.

If for some reason, the Mojo battery supply is running out, then I will charge and play for a while. As far as we know there is no harm in that.

The issue is that long periods of charge and play, can make the Mojo very hot. It was discovered that it is best to charge the Mojo battery completely. The leave the charger plugged in to the Mojo, and start to use it. This way the charger turns on and off at regular intervals. . However it is strongly recommended by users, to discharge the Mojo regularly, and then recharge it.

Personally I would recommend using the Mojo on battery in the day, and charge at night. The batteries have an exceptional lifespan, so it's not an issue. ... It is your choice though.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #34,919 of 42,765

This thread is over two years old, and I think that the user experience during this period has gradually allowed the best practice to evolve:
  • Chord specified the battery to have a certain life https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-723#post-12321639, under certain conditions
  • The owner consensus seems to be that using the battery cycling from 100% charged to fully depleted, does post a risk - but using the battery from say 75% charged down to 25% charged (then recharge) will avoid all the risky scenarios, and maximise the battery life. I try and follow this charging cycle.
I think Chord are being honest, when they describe the specifications for the Mojo battery, but Mojo owners are more conservative, and risk averse.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #34,920 of 42,765

It should actually extend the total life span. Lithium batteries have no memory effect and short charge cycles are a good thing for overal lifespan. Completely discharging them regularly is not recommended in general as that is stressful for lithium batteries. The general rule is to not discharge lithium batteries below 20% and not charge more than 80% for the ultimate in lifespan. However, it is recommended to discharge and then fully recharge the lithium battery once a month to ‘calibrate’ the batteries charge meter.

Of course these are best practices for all lithium batteries and each user will no doubt have their preferred charging habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back