Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 21, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #29,506 of 42,765
You can try a cheater plug.  But it sounds like your don't have well grounded wall sockets.  You might need a ground tester for your house.  Or have your landlord test it if you rent.  It may not be safe.

The culprit is his ICAN.
On top of this, his amp seem to be AC powered by this three prong power.

No ground connection.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #29,508 of 42,765
Just want to clarify mojo' s battery is on 3V input and whats the input amp on input power when I DIY a ac to dc converter?! 1.5A? 2A? Don't really want burn the PBC board when I do that...

Well then don't mess around with it - as there is absolutely no need or benefit to doing so and may be dangerous to you as well as damaging the Mojo including a fire risk.

If you start messing with the Mojo its warranty and resale may be affected - instead spend your time exploring new music!
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #29,509 of 42,765
So, both 3.5mm jacks when the unit is in line out mode, are putting out the same (as in KVL) level of output, 3V (default), but the currents are split in halves (thinking like the KCL)?

In other words, like you can drive two headphones from these 2 jacks out the same line out, when say both are driving two separate amplifiers?  (not that you ever want to)

Current is shared between the two outputs depending on their respective loads. Current is halved only if both outputs presents same load.
With pure resistive loads there are no issues.
When dealing with the reactive part of impedances currents may flow between both outputs, interacts each other and alter frequency response.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #29,510 of 42,765
If you need to ask others what voltage the mojo runs on you shouldn't be working with AC! I'm sorry, it's not meant to offend anyone, but rather prevent electrocution! I have felt 110V AC enough times to know it's serious

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #29,511 of 42,765
Guys what sampling- + bit rate are you using in windows with the mojo?

I know you should prefer WASAPI but if its not possible what would be the optimal settings? Talking about music and gaming and i think 44.1kHZ 16Bit should be the most uses source format so should i set it to that? Or better 24 Bit?

Or in other words if i set it to 192kHZ 24Bit will windows just up and downsample everything and ruin the quality?

Please help me!

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #29,512 of 42,765
Hi guys, I am using my Mojo both as a headphone amp for my B&W P7 wireless, and a desktop DAC for my stereo system (Arcam A29 integrated amp and Dynaudio Focus 260 floorstanders).

Could anyone who owns one of the Oppo blu ray players test the Oppo's internal DAC (meaning the analog outputs of the player into an amp) against the Mojo via the 3.5mm output to RCA into an amp, and post the results.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #29,513 of 42,765
You mean the Studio->Mojo is even more open, detailed and airy than the M1 Pro->Mojo?

M1 Pro->Mojo sounded more transparent and open compared to the Fiio X3ii->Mojo. I did not compare it to any of the USB sources though.

Yes, it does! I wish more people could try it :frowning2:

You also have to engage the digital coaxial mode on the Esther, makes a surprising difference!

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #29,514 of 42,765
dB is a relative measurement. dBV, for example, is absolute, as is Vrms.

I remember seeing somewhere 5.3Vrms is the max volume. That's about +14.5dBV. 3Vrms is about +9.5dBV. So the preset is about 5dB down from the max. We can refer to "max" as full scale since the volume control is pre-DAC, so we would call this about -5dBFS.

Maybe I am not understanding this right, but on my setup the 3V fixed line level output is too loud on most tracks (though not all). I use 9 volume down ticks from there, each worth 1 dB according to RW -- which would seem to mean -9 dB (from the 3 volt level) but output is certainly not zero!  Actually, the post I read indicated that this level corresponds to 1 Volt.

Regardless, with this setting, I typically have the volume pot on my Beyerdynamic A20 dedicated headphone amp at about 12 noon, same as with the preamp in my stereo setup when connecting the Mojo to an Aux input.

Your mileage may differ ....

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #29,515 of 42,765
I have read some debate on this thread about whether different digital sources actually impact the sound produced by the Mojo, i.e. whether a cheaper DAP (old phone) connected via digital USB sounds worse than a more expensive DAP (e.g. M1Pro). 

A related question is whether Mojo sounds better when using the Coax, Optical or USB. Which is best?

I am guessing that my question needs refining, but thought I'd at least throw it out there.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #29,516 of 42,765
Hi guys!
I own the Sennheiser HD800. Cambridge CXA60 is the amplifier with DAC integrated (originally bought to drive my pair of Tannoy XT6F) used to drive the headphones for now. They say it's a pretty good DAC as well. Now I just don't know how good.
Music is played by my Macbook Pro 2016 that is digitally connected to the Cambridge using toslink connection (through a Behringer UCA202).

Questions:
1) Is it worth for me to buy the Chord Mojo?
2) Does it deliver a substantial improvement over the internal DAC of the Cambridge CXA60?
3) How much of the HD800 potential is Chord Mojo able to unlock? Let's say that the HD800 delivers a 98% with Chord Dave. What would be the estimate with the Chord Mojo? An 85%, a 90% or a 95%?

I know it's difficult to assess with aseptic numbers but that's the only way for me to have an idea since I can't test the product myself right now.

Thank you so much for your help, guys!
Have a nice day!

Ego

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #29,517 of 42,765
Guys what sampling- + bit rate are you using in windows with the mojo?

I know you should prefer WASAPI but if its not possible what would be the optimal settings? Talking about music and gaming and i think 44.1kHZ 16Bit should be the most uses source format so should i set it to that? Or better 24 Bit?

Or in other words if i set it to 192kHZ 24Bit will windows just up and downsample everything and ruin the quality?

Please help me!

Leave it at 16 bit 44khz. If you want the best SQ don't upsample before sending the data to Mojo.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #29,518 of 42,765
Hi guys, I am using my Mojo both as a headphone amp for my B&W P7 wireless, and a desktop DAC for my stereo system (Arcam A29 integrated amp and Dynaudio Focus 260 floorstanders).

Could anyone who owns one of the Oppo blu ray players test the Oppo's internal DAC (meaning the analog outputs of the player into an amp) against the Mojo via the 3.5mm output to RCA into an amp, and post the results.

I have already done this test a while ago. I own an Oppo BDP 105.

To my ears the Mojo is better than the oppo. When I did the tests the Oppo was sending a balanced signal while Mojo was sending a single ended signal, still preferred Mojo's sound.

The Oppo had a wider soundstage, but Mojo had greater depth when it was appropriate.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #29,519 of 42,765
Maybe I am not understanding this right, but on my setup the 3V fixed line level output is too loud on most tracks (though not all). I use 9 volume down ticks from there, each worth 1 dB according to RW -- which would seem to mean -9 dB (from the 3 volt level) but output is certainly not zero!  Actually, the post I read indicated that this level corresponds to 1 Volt.

Regardless, with this setting, I typically have the volume pot on my Beyerdynamic A20 dedicated headphone amp at about 12 noon, same as with the preamp in my stereo setup when connecting the Mojo to an Aux input.

Your mileage may differ ....

0dBV is 1 Vrms. dB is a log scale.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #29,520 of 42,765
I have already done this test a while ago. I own an Oppo BDP 105.

To my ears the Mojo is better than the oppo. When I did the tests the Oppo was sending a balanced signal while Mojo was sending a single ended signal, still preferred Mojo's sound.

The Oppo had a wider soundstage, but Mojo had greater depth when it was appropriate.

Thanks for that. I am eyeing the new Oppo 203 (AKM 4458 DAC inside). My intention is to use the Oppo as a hub (receiver) for my cable box via its HDMI input as well as my TV's internal apps via ARC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back