Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #25,951 of 42,765
Flipping Bloopers! Simple Minds - Acoustic via Mojo and IEM is simply stunning. Thats streaming it on Qobuz too, awesome. Takes me back to my younger days when that music first came out. Feelings, that is what music is all about and this is invoking some good ones tonight :)

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #25,952 of 42,765
Advice please.

Ok my question is will the Chord Mojo Sound better that the Oppo HA2-ES or the Dragonfly Red.
I purchased and returned the Oppo and DF Red based on a/b comparisons with a switch I purchased from amazon. 
I'm using iphone 6 and Iphone 7 plus with Onkyo Player and Audioquest Nighthawk's. 
I used Hi-rez files from HD tracks for comparison. http://www.hdtracks.com/audiogon-presents-the-wake-up-your-ears-sampler-140551
Great sampler for 5 bucks.

I was not able to pick the HA2 or the DFR running from iphone 6 vs iphone 7 with the stock lightning dongle with any accuracy.

The only time I could guess with more certainty is with my JDS CD5 though my imac (But no difference with the iphone and the CD5)
I'm I searching for something that doesn't exist? or will the Mojo give me the upgrade I'm Looking for.

When I was upgrading my Headphones from P7's I went through Audez EL 8, Sony MDR Z7 and Oppo PM3's and ended my search with the Nighthawk's. So I think I'm capable of telling the difference in sound quality. It's hard to listen to my P7.s anymore after the Nighhawk's

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #25,955 of 42,765
Hey all--

I just got a "used" but BNIB mojo, and I left it on the charger for the recommended 10 hour first charge, but it's not charging any! I can turn it on and it will draw current, enough to drive sensitive IEMs more or less indefinitely (as long as it's plugged in). Pushing something harde like an HD800 will use slightly more power than it' pulling in and it will turn off at some point.

Has anybody heard about anything like this before? What can I do to solve this?

--pete

Is the LED under the charge port flashing white? If so, your charger is not sourcing enough current.

Advice please.

Ok my question is will the Chord Mojo Sound better that the Oppo HA2-ES or the Dragonfly Red.
I purchased and returned the Oppo and DF Red based on a/b comparisons with a switch I purchased from amazon. 
I'm using iphone 6 and Iphone 7 plus with Onkyo Player and Audioquest Nighthawk's. 
I used Hi-rez files from HD tracks for comparison. http://www.hdtracks.com/audiogon-presents-the-wake-up-your-ears-sampler-140551

I was not able to pick the HA2 or the DFR running from iphone 6 vs iphone 7 with the stock lightning dongle with any accuracy.

The only time I could guess with more certainty is with my JDS CD5 though my imac (But no difference with the iphone and the CD5)
I'm I searching for something that doesn't exist? or will the Mojo give me the upgrade I'm Looking for.

When I was upgrading my Headphones from P7's I went through Audez EL 8, Sony MDR Z7 and Oppo PM3's and ended my search with the Nighthawk's. So I think I'm capable of telling the difference in sound quality. It's hard to listen to my P7.s anymore after the Nighhawk's

Oppo and DF Red A/Bed against what?

The biggest contibutor to your musical enjoyment will be your headphones first and foremost. Any competently designed DAC/amp will give you flat frequency response and good spurious performance.

I don't know about the Oppo HA-2SE, but the manufacturer's specs are so incomplete and lacking in context and detail that it makes me wonder what they're hiding. In my book that immediately disqualifies them.

The DF starts to taper off slightly well below 20KHz albeit by fractions of a dB. Mojo actually gets a slight gain in that region, but again fractions of a dB. This is of course for "low" Fs, we really only care about <= ~20KHz anyway.

Impulse response shows both use a symmetric filter, though Mojo uses many more coefficients, leading to a substantially longer envelope.

DF gets about 17 or 18 bits of resolution, whereas Mojo gets close to 21. Warning: Mojo dynamic range spec is A weighted, so it might be closer than you think. Again, it leads one to ask what the manufacturer is hiding.

Mojo channel separation is about 40dB+ (!!!) better than DF.

Based on this I would say Mojo is clearly better than DF.

By the way... None of this necessarily Mojo will sound better to you... Just that it is technically better.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #25,956 of 42,765
will the Chord Mojo Sound better that the Oppo HA2-ES or the Dragonfly Red.

Oh my, yes. The Dragonfly Red is a nice little piece of kit to be sure, but the Mojo is in another league altogether. I haven't heard the Oppo, but I'm going to go ahead and say yes, the Mojo will probably surpass it easily.

The only comparably priced DAC/amp I've heard that can compete is the Geek Out V2+ on balanced output (it's single ended output is good, not great). Personally think the GOV2+ balanced is slightly superior to the Mojo (not by very much though), and it's a bit less expensive. It also uses the only sensible TRRS configuration (L+, R+, L-, R-), which allows you to hardwire your headphones for balanced output without giving up Single Ended functionality. For SE jacks I use a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter coupled with a 6.3mm back to 3.5mm adapter. Small, cheap and both parts are readily available anywhere. The downsides to the GOV2+ are shoddy build quality and horrific customer service. (The 3d printed power switch on my unit needs replacing; LH Labs did eventually get back to me, but I'm concerned (legitimately, I think) that if I ship it to them I'll never see it again. I am going to try replacing it myself with whatever Rat Shack part fits.

Really, for this price point there aren't very many choices that can boast world class sound like those two. Can anybody add to the list?

P.S., while not a DAC/amp, a couple of DAPs can compete in sound quality, the least expensive that I know is the 2nd gen iPod Nano, believe it or not! The 4GB ones typically go for $20 (the black ones have 8GB and go for $30-50). You're going to want to immediately Rockbox it, and you're probably going to want an amp (o2 maybe?), but they really do sound great!

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #25,958 of 42,765
Is the LED under the charge port flashing white? If so, your charger is not sourcing enough current.
Oppo and DF Red A/Bed against what?

The biggest contibutor to your musical enjoyment will be your headphones first and foremost. Any competently designed DAC/amp will give you flat frequency response and good spurious performance.

I don't know about the Oppo HA-2SE, but the manufacturer's specs are so incomplete and lacking in context and detail that it makes me wonder what they're hiding. In my book that immediately disqualifies them.

The DF starts to taper off slightly well below 20KHz albeit by fractions of a dB. Mojo actually gets a slight gain in that region, but again fractions of a dB. This is of course for "low" Fs, we really only care about <= ~20KHz anyway.

Impulse response shows both use a symmetric filter, though Mojo uses many more coefficients, leading to a substantially longer envelope.

DF gets about 17 or 18 bits of resolution, whereas Mojo gets close to 21. Warning: Mojo dynamic range spec is A weighted, so it might be closer than you think. Again, it leads one to ask what the manufacturer is hiding.

Mojo channel separation is about 40dB+ (!!!) better than DF.

Based on this I would say Mojo is clearly better than DF.

By the way... None of this necessarily Mojo will sound better to you... Just that it is technically better.

A/Bed against Iphone 7 Plus with Stock Dongle and Iphone 6 headphone jack. (A= Iphone 6 B= Iphone 7 Plus with DRed and or HA2-SE) Tested blind by twisting the wires up after volume matching. 

I have Amazon Prime so I guess it's worth a shot to try the Mojo Out. 

Thanks greatly for your input. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #25,959 of 42,765
Advice please.

I first heard the Nighthawks at an audio show and Skylar was there showing them off paired with a Dragon Fly Red. Since I had tidal I could test songs I knew very well. I auditoned them for about half an hour and almost right away knew that I liked the sound signiture of the NH's. IMO, the Dragon Fly Red was holding it back . Mojo is a lot more coherent, musical, detailed, and textured. I recently got the Nighthawks and after a dozen hours of break in they are sounding fantastic with Mojo. One of my friends who came over a couple days ago to try it out said "Why would you ever need any other headphone?" He really enjoyed the relaxing sound he heard .

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #25,961 of 42,765
I identify as a young Cary Grant, but thus far, others have not responded to me as they should...  :)   I also know the extra $5 I spent on the Springsteen download for really really high definition sound makes it sound so much nicer!  

***********************************************************************************************************

I know there is a strong "just move on" theme that comes up, but frankly, this is a fascinating topic which, for me, is educational.  Taking up the challenge, not for listening, but for scientific testing, is a great offer and the results will be interesting.  

I learned a lot reading Rob's posts, (with some tutoring from Mython) and from the videos with John and Rob.  That Mojo can process 500 x more data is something measurable and helps me understand how Mojo did not "burn in" over time, but my listening ability, via brain interpretation, is increasing.  This is the very thing we do in training for lie detection; an increased practice of specific listening.  Overtime, the investigator learns to spot the key words associated with deception, 'on the fly', that is, live as they are spoken.  It takes quite a bit of training to get there, however.  The brain has a defensive 'dulled listening' that must be reversed.  

Grumpy, I hope you accept it and run the tests, if you have the equipment at work.  I appreciate the poster's offer and if Grumpy is able to measure, the results as well. 

This is a fascinating discussion and especially so for Mojo fans.  

Exceptionally well said :thumbsup_tone1:

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #25,963 of 42,765
i have a friend suggesting that I ditch my ipod touch 6/mojo brick for the ak70
(or even the soon to be discontinued and on sale ak jr)
(but i would continue to use my mojo at home/desktop)
...much of a difference in sonics?

I also stream and offline download spotify premium and tidal hifi

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #25,964 of 42,765
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7bklyb58VBF7K

Has anyone tried one of these Anker chargers to use with the Mojo and other devices? Mojo arrives Friday, debating picking one of these up to charge all my devices.

Yes, sort of. I have the dual Anker charger which I've used for nearly a year with various components including my Mojo, AK 120, AK240, iPhone 6S and 5s. A great charger, works great, quality parts, classy construction and styling. My impression is that it's a cut above competing units. You can't go wrong.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #25,965 of 42,765
i have a friend suggesting that I ditch my ipod touch 6/mojo brick for the ak70
(or even the soon to be discontinued and on sale ak jr)
(but i would continue to use my mojo at home/desktop)
...much of a difference in sonics?

I also stream and offline download spotify premium and tidal hifi

Has he heard Mojo?!?

Don't be silly. You have the best of all worlds. Super UI plus top sound. Only wish the Mojo would work directly with my iPod Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back