Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 24, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #20,446 of 42,765
  Hello,

I am new to Chord Mojo so I am sorry if these questions have been answered before. I am listening to spotify with the highest quality on an iPad mini 4th

My question is:

If I buy the lightning connector to usb connector plugged into the Mojo will this allow me to hear spotify music at 96khz or higher? or will the iPad mini not output any audio higher than 44khz?

Hello Kelsey, and welcome to the forum.
Some of the mojo users do use Apple devices as a source for the Mojo, however you may not be surprised to hear that Apple devices can be a bit choosy what cables, operating system version, connectors, music player etc are used.

My first suggestion is have a read of post #20400 which is connector specific, and also the Apple/ios sections of post #3, to give you some background info.
If you still have questions afterwards, then please ask them because as I say there are users happily using iPhones and other devices as a source. I am sure that someone will be able to answer them.

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #20,447 of 42,765
Hello,

I am new to Chord Mojo so I am sorry if these questions have been answered before. I am listening to spotify with the highest quality on an iPad mini 4th

My question is:

If I buy the lightning connector to usb connector plugged into the Mojo will this allow me to hear spotify music at 96khz or higher? or will the iPad mini not output any audio higher than 44khz?

Spotify and Tidal only output 44.1kHz (on any platform) so why do you think it should be 96kHz?

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #20,448 of 42,765

Sorry just getting into all the lingo. What I am wondering is if I use the lightening connector on my iPad mini to the mojo would I be getting lossless sound from Tidal Flac etc? or is the quality reduced.

Thank for the help

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #20,449 of 42,765
Sorry just getting into all the lingo. What I am wondering is if I use the lightening connector on my iPad mini to the mojo would I be getting lossless sound from Tidal Flac etc? or is the quality reduced.

Thank for the help

No, you would not lose any quality in sound, as a matter of fact you must use the Apple CCK to connect to the Mojo as that is the only way to extract the digital signal from iOS devices. Please take some time to read the third post of this thread, specifically the section on connecting Apple devices, for more information.

From Spotify you would not be getting lossless sound. From Tidal, if you have Tidal HiFi, you will be getting 16/44.1 CD quality lossless sound. The Mojo will simply take what it is fed and do its magic, and it's my recommendation to not do any up sampling or add any DSP to the audio before the Mojo.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #20,450 of 42,765

Thank for the help

For the type of cable (hardware) you need to connect your iPad mini to Mojo, see 3rd post of the thread. In the post, look for this section:

HOW TO CONNECT Mojo to your chosen device (i-Device, micro-USB, Sony, Co-axial, Optical, etc.) (Click to show)

Apple devices output bit-perfect signal. Meaning, the device will output whatever the app outputs. Tidal outputs 16/44 lossless and that is exactly what the ipad mini will output to the mojo. No up-sampling or down-sampling, or in your terms, no reduction in quality.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #20,451 of 42,765
  I am thinking of upgrading my X3ii Fiio to the X7 to use with my Mojo.

I was wondering if anyone had some feedback ref pairing with the Mojo and general ease of connection to the X7? Am I right in thinking I can use the same coax cable to connect to Mojo that I am currently using with my X3ii?

Cheers!

seems like a waste of money considering there is no SQ improvement to be gained. why not spend it on better iems/headphones.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #20,453 of 42,765

i understand why mython wanted to delete the 3rd post. :/

LOL LOL LOL 
biggrin.gif

hahaha

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #20,454 of 42,765
LOL LOL LOL :D
hahaha
3rd post in place I bet 75% read it while the rest will post their questions. Remove 3rd post and lets see what happens.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #20,455 of 42,765
xiaomi android is good choice for transport. it has no problem in recognizing the dac via uapp. surprisingly for such a cheap phone it's own dac is very good too for music. I use my ultra cheap redmi s1 as transport in airplane mode with short usb cable with mojo and it beats fiiox3 coaxial route. somehow music via uapp usb out is more fluid and open as compared to coaxial, may via usb mojo's clock pulls the data asynchronously.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #20,456 of 42,765
Yup, same TRRS shared line-out / coaxial jack. It should be plug and play for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless using some 3M Dual Lock, or Velcro, the touch screen will make it more difficult to stack, but other than that it should be an easy swap.

thanks!

Yeah, I use the velcro on my X3ii/Mojo connection.

I had read that interference can be an issue over wifi for tidal and such; can you advise on that?

Actually, my main point of getting the X7 would be to move into a hybrid phase of Tidal+dedicated storage player; join the real world, so to speak. At the moment I'm dabbling once more with Tidal but my phone is pretty noisy (S6).

Also, can one dispense with the need for using UAPP with Tidal? I seem to be obliged to use it to get any output from Mojo when linked to the phone. Not to diss UAPP, but I would much prefer to use the Tidal interface and make use of the offline content ability with Mojo.

Really appreciate your replies!!

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #20,457 of 42,765
thanks!

Yeah, I use the velcro on my X3ii/Mojo connection.

I had read that interference can be an issue over wifi for tidal and such; can you advise on that?

Actually, my main point of getting the X7 would be to move into a hybrid phase of Tidal+dedicated storage player; join the real world, so to speak. At the moment I'm dabbling once more with Tidal but my phone is pretty noisy (S6).

Also, can one dispense with the need for using UAPP with Tidal? I seem to be obliged to use it to get any output from Mojo when linked to the phone. Not to diss UAPP, but I would much prefer to use the Tidal interface and make use of the offline content ability with Mojo.

Really appreciate your replies!!

I'm not sure of how much more help I can be with the X7 as I don't have one. Reading the thread I'm not 100% sure if the WiFi noise is still an issue or not, and I'm not sure about Tidal offline storage with the X7. Maybe ask in the X7 thread for more info.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #20,459 of 42,765
  With reference to the current discussion about EMI maybe causing clicks. I have no idea if it is possibly the fault. Or if there is even enough EMI interference around a person's home to do that.

I suggested it because there seems to be a suggestion that interference may be causing clicks in my system.  My cables run right next to a desktop Q Acoustics BT3 speaker, with a bass driver in it. I am in the position where I might have to buy a shielded USB cable to see if I can cure the clicks. I get then when using PC CD FLAC, and PC games....However that doesn't explain the very regular clicks I got when playing from a DAB tuner over (a cheap) optical cable.

However I am theorising that it could just be low quality cabling causing it. I guess that because some folks ages back cured clicks in music at 192KHz by buying a quality cable.

Some issues are more difficult to troubleshoot. Honestly without any bad thinking, the more I read your threads the more problems I am finding...
IMHO, I you want to have a chance to solve them you should tackle in a one by one issue approach.
Please do note that I am well aware that technical issues or trials are not everybody's cup of Tea. In that case I would rather call a 'technical friend' at home for helping.

The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear view of  your DAP/Computer settings as well as the digital audio signal path ( Inputs/Outputs/In between Hubs/USB/Fiber/Coaxial/etc...)
The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear view of  your Mojo's Outputs' connections even if not used.
The troubleshhoter head-fier must have a clear idea of your issue occurence: always/10*clicks per hour/during night/during day/randomly 
The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear idea of any probable occurence correlation with other factors ( clicks when playing 3D games/ switching on AC/etc...)

If you like let's start with your DAB tuner - stock optical TOSLINK-Mojo. In a previous post you mention a sampling rate of 48 kHz.
Issue posted: very regular clicks.

May I suggest you to switch off all your surrounding devices (Desktop/Screens/etc) and only have your DAB/Mojo on battery/Output Headphones.
Then tell us if in those circumstances you are still facings regular clicks?

Additional information: DAB tuner reference ?

Please do note that a DAB tuner, despite outputing digital , is mainly a RF receiver who should include a small cable acting as an antenna.
As such, it is very likely to catch and amplify any eventual interference. Put your mobile (RFswitched On) on top of your DAB and you should experience clicks/pops every 2-3 minutes.

Regards

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #20,460 of 42,765

Some issues are more difficult to troubleshoot. Honestly without any bad thinking, the more I read your threads the more problems I am finding...
IMHO, I you want to have a chance to solve them you should tackle in a one by one issue approach.
Please do note that I am well aware that technical issues or trials are not everybody's cup of Tea. In that case I would rather call a 'technical friend' at home for helping.

The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear view of  your DAP/Computer settings as well as the digital audio signal path ( Inputs/Outputs/In between Hubs/USB/Fiber/Coaxial/etc...)
The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear view of  your Mojo's Outputs' connections even if not used.
The troubleshhoter head-fier must have a clear idea of your issue occurence: always/10*clicks per hour/during night/during day/randomly 
The troubleshooter head-fier must have a clear idea of any probable occurence correlation with other factors ( clicks when playing 3D games/ switching on AC/etc...)

If you like let's start with your DAB tuner - stock optical TOSLINK-Mojo. In a previous post you mention a sampling rate of 48 kHz.
Issue posted: very regular clicks.

May I suggest you to switch off all your surrounding devices (Desktop/Screens/etc) and only have your DAB/Mojo on battery/Output Headphones.
Then tell us if in those circumstances you are still facings regular clicks?

Additional information: DAB tuner reference ?

Please do note that a DAB tuner, despite outputing digital , is mainly a RF receiver who should include a small cable acting as an antenna.
As such, it is very likely to catch and amplify any eventual interference. Put your mobile (RFswitched On) on top of your DAB and you should experience clicks/pops every 2-3 minutes.

Regards

That's quite a fair appraisal because there are two worries.

1. Getting clicks when using USB from PC which is 95% of my Mojo's duty.
2. Clicks when using optical from DAB tuner- only noticed on one channel so far though.

I'll write a brief overview, but please do not feel obliged anyone. It would be great if somehow we worked out these clicks though. A cure for all of us who have them would be most welcome.

DAB tuner first.
I have it running now on Classic FM which was the culprit station. The music is a bit lively and I am not hearing any clicks. I only noticed clicks one day and was very surprised as I have not heard them on any channel before. Even in speech parts in-between tracks. However I do not use my DAB tuner much. 

The tuner is a (fairly old) Denon TU - 1800 DAB FM Tuner. (A very highly regarded tuner.) DAB tuners have separate DAB aerials from the FM aerial.
I use a basic £2 optical cable to run to my Mojo.

My PC.
Is sat on the floor.
I use only CD FLAC files so far. (I have one album in 96KHz which is the set of Beethoven Symphonies 1-9.)
I use a standard £2 USB Nokia phone cable to connect to Mojo.

Clicks in music are random but only heard in quiet passages or quiet albums. The album Katie Melua - call off the Search, makes the most clicks. About ten or a few more in a play though. (I just thought - what I must do is listen to this album on my Meridian Explorer. To identify if clicks are from using Mojo. There is the possibility that I had clicks with my Meridian Explorer, but never noticed them. The Mojo is considerably more revealing, for portraying the soundstage evenly. Additionally I may have disregarded clicks on my Explorer because I considered the DAC to be budget.)

Sometimes of course other albums I don't hear any clicks because the music has no quiet passages. However I have other quieter albums that get a much lower click count.

The Mojo
The Mojo is plugged in all the time.

Only one output is used at a time, either:
A QED Reference Audio J2P connects to desktop Q Acoustics BT3.
or
My headphones are plugged in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back