Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #20,416 of 42,765

1) Do you mean the Mojo HARDWARE is making a clicking noise, or do you mean you can hear a clicking sound in the audio signal Mojo is producing?

2) What device are you feeding Mojo with? (laptop, smartphone, etc,)

The audio signal is producing a clicking sound, I tried unplugging the charger which made no difference, unplugging the mini jack to my amp completely eradicates the noise which tells me that it's from the Mojo, my sound card does not make this issue when plugging in speakers or headphones directly. I also tried switching the USB plug to my desktop, and also trying to plug into a different USB outlet which also did not change anything.

This is strange since it did not occur prior to the move. I packaged the Mojo inside its original box, inside a cabinet that's very well secured since it contains all my audio equipment, so damage is also out of the question. Only thing that may happen during the move is the heat inside the moving Penske truck, but all my other electronics, including more sensitive ones, are not damaged at all.

The clicking noise ONLY happens with 3D images, and does not happen outside of the game in windows, or if the game intro menu is in 2D. It also seem to sync with the images on screen. For example, changing the menu inside game seems to change the frequency and intensity of the noise. Nothing is done to change the drivers or software settings. This is so weird...

Luckily it's still under sonic electronix's 3 month return policy and if I need I can swap out for another one.

Well one possibility is that your graphics card may be emitting increased RF when it's cores are under load, or inducing more RF in other components (such as your PSU) of your PC, when the GPU is under load. Mojo might be receiving some of that RF.

If your digital cable will permit it, try moving Mojo as far as possible from the PC. Also try a ferrite choke over the same cable.

Let me know what you find out.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #20,417 of 42,765
  The audio signal is producing a clicking sound, I tried unplugging the charger which made no difference, unplugging the mini jack to my amp completely eradicates the noise which tells me that it's from the Mojo, my sound card does not make this issue when plugging in speakers or headphones directly. I also tried switching the USB plug to my desktop, and also trying to plug into a different USB outlet which also did not change anything.

This is strange since it did not occur prior to the move. I packaged the Mojo inside its original box, inside a cabinet that's very well secured since it contains all my audio equipment, so damage is also out of the question. Only thing that may happen during the move is the heat inside the moving Penske truck, but all my other electronics, including more sensitive ones, are not damaged at all.

The clicking noise ONLY happens with 3D images, and does not happen outside of the game in windows, or if the game intro menu is in 2D. It also seem to sync with the images on screen. For example, changing the menu inside game seems to change the frequency and intensity of the noise. Nothing is done to change the drivers or software settings. This is so weird...

Luckily it's still under sonic electronix's 3 month return policy and if I need I can swap out for another one.

"unplugging the mini jack to my amp completely eradicates the noise which tells me that it's from the Mojo" - surely that just shows that if you cut the signal path to mojo, then mojo produces no clicking noise.

I remember one other gamer having issues, but i cannot remember if it was this thread.

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #20,418 of 42,765
  I've never noticed this before, but after my move to another state, I've been getting clicking noises in the background whenever I run a game from using Mojo. It only happens when I plug it into Mojo, and its dead quite when not running games. Is this a known problem or is my Mojo defective after a long 20 day move possibly overheating in a transport truck?

I get them. I get them in music too but less often. Then recently I noticed them regular in quiet music on Classic FM music coming from a DAB tuner through the Mojo. (Though I don't recall clicks on other channels. However that might be soley due to the volume of music played over volume of music from desktop speakers. Meaning volume was up but music was quiet-ish.)

I am playing Far Cry 4 right now and I hear distinct clicks when I am in the trade menu. I don't notice them in general play so I don't worry about it.

I think I may have had faint clicks in other games. I do not recall for now, because I would not worry over just a few faint ones. They would correlate to the way audio from my PC works all the time.

While I have them during music I think it might be interference and I might need a shielded USB cable. Trouble being that I am not happy to spend £70 to try that theory out.

What I was hearing during my recent Classic FM listening has me worried.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #20,419 of 42,765

Well one possibility is that your graphics card may be emitting increased RF when it's cores are under load, or inducing more RF in other components (such as your PSU) of your PC, when the GPU is under load. Mojo might be receiving some of that RF.

If your digital cable will permit it, try moving Mojo as far as possible from the PC. Also try a ferrite choke over the same cable.

@Solarium

Agreeing with @Mython I am just afraid that the whole USB bus as well as all USB ports are suffering from graphic card overload.
You may try a cheap stock Toslink optical fiber instead vs USB.
Another point is how is your digital output sound card configured ? Chord Asynch USB 44.1kHz-768kHz or any other digital output ?

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #20,420 of 42,765
Mojo - 3rd full charge and only getting 7.5 hrs out of it. Come on Mojo you can do better than that! It's only a few FLAC files and DSD, what's wrong with ya? Haha

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #20,421 of 42,765
Mojo - 3rd full charge and only getting 7.5 hrs out of it. Come on Mojo you can do better than that! It's only a few FLAC files and DSD, what's wrong with ya? Haha

Are you playing high res FLAC as well? DSD with 7.5 hours seems pretty good IMO.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #20,422 of 42,765

hahah - well, can you last that long?
etysmile.gif

What cans/CIEMs/IEMs are you using?

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #20,423 of 42,765

"unplugging the mini jack to my amp completely eradicates the noise which tells me that it's from the Mojo" - surely that just shows that if you cut the signal path to mojo, then mojo produces no clicking noise.

I remember one other gamer having issues, but i cannot remember if it was this thread.

I get them. I get them in music too but less often. Then recently I noticed them regular in quiet music on Classic FM music coming from a DAB tuner through the Mojo. (Though I don't recall clicks on other channels. However that might be soley due to the volume of music played over volume of music from desktop speakers. Meaning volume was up but music was quiet-ish.)

I am playing Far Cry 4 right now and I hear distinct clicks when I am in the trade menu. I don't notice them in general play so I don't worry about it.

I think I may have had faint clicks in other games. I do not recall for now, because I would not worry over just a few faint ones. They would correlate to the way audio from my PC works all the time.

While I have them during music I think it might be interference and I might need a shielded USB cable. Trouble being that I am not happy to spend £70 to try that theory out.

What I was hearing during my recent Classic FM listening has me worried.

@Solarium

Agreeing with @Mython
 I am just afraid that the whole USB bus as well as all USB ports are suffering from graphic card overload.
You may try a cheap stock Toslink optical fiber instead vs USB.
Another point is how is your digital output sound card configured ? Chord Asynch USB 44.1kHz-768kHz or any other digital output ?

The thing is my configuration, both physically and software wise is exactly the same as before. My desktop is sitting on a cabinet not close to the Mojo at all. I've never had the noise before either, and nothing has changed since I setup everything again. But I think it's possibly having to do with my GPU load, how I don't know and my Mojo is no where near my GPU.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #20,424 of 42,765
x RELIC x - Yeah, a few CD quality, nearly all hi-res FLAC or DSD. It's a new unit so needs a few cycles in the battery too.
Mython - I am only using Shure SE425, volume is around 6 steps below the Red-Red level! I don't have any cans.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #20,425 of 42,765
x RELIC x - Yeah, a few CD quality, nearly all hi-res FLAC or DSD. It's a new unit so needs a few cycles in the battery too.
Mython - I am only using Shure SE425, volume is around 6 steps below the Red-Red level! I don't have any cans.

Contrary to what many believe, the more efficient IEMs will draw more current and use battery faster than high impedance cans that require more voltage. Also, high res and DSD will eat up more battery life as well. Shoot, on the AK240 it goes from 7 hours playing red book to about 4.5 hours playing High res and DSD. The Mojo is pretty good with this actually.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #20,426 of 42,765
The thing is my configuration, both physically and software wise is exactly the same as before. My desktop is sitting on a cabinet not close to the Mojo at all. I've never had the noise before either, and nothing has changed since I setup everything again. But I think it's possibly having to do with my GPU load, how I don't know and my Mojo is no where near my GPU.

Are you using WiFi with your computer? Having recently moved did you take in to account that you may be getting noise from a WiFi signal not being as optimal as before. Just my shot in the dark.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #20,427 of 42,765
I think it's power issue. Aren't the pops spikes? Your system may be drawing too much power when gpu is being overworked with games but ofcourse it can be anything. So many factors with computer audio.

I would suggest first try changing cables (because I get pops/clicks when I fiddle with cables to secure it tight while music is playing) If that dosen't solve it maybe take it to an Internet cafe and play some games with it with same input and see if you get same issue. If it's the same isssue, then send it in for warranty replacement. If it isn't you should reinstall windows fresh and all programs even though it's PITA.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #20,428 of 42,765

Didn't you say you moved house. I was thinking in terms of EMI interference around your new home. I have no idea though because I have not fixed mine yet.

It's not GPU load with me because I get it when I am sometimes not gaming. My (GTX 980) GPU is fine and the PSU (Corsair RM650i) is plenty to power it. My PC only uses 50% of what my PSU can deliver in the most intensive gaming, (measured using Corsair Link).

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #20,429 of 42,765
I think it has to be power in your new place. Because you moved Mojo across town it's not gonna break it I don't think. I doubt the outside heat will be any higher when Mojo is turned off moving it across town vs. when someone is playing it and have it turned on with their pc. Maybe cables..

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #20,430 of 42,765
Could be a different USB port plugged in to after the move also. Some USB bus's are shared with some very noisy internal hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back