Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #20,221 of 42,765
Now that I've lived with the Mojo about a month I think I'll offer my two cents. Overall it's impressive in just about every way that matters and is a stunningly good value. I would not hesitate to pay $600 just for the DAC portion alone. The fact that it has a pretty damn good headphone amp built in makes it a complete no-brainer.

The only slight drawback I've noticed (and it could be just the character of my headphones coming out) is that it can sound a little bit polite at times. Additionally, the bass is pleasing but it doesn't hit very hard nor does it go all the way down. In just about every other category it is excellent to amazing (especially considering the price). I've heard DAC's costing twice as much that didn't have this much resolution nor rendered the music in such a listenable and pleasing way. I have no doubt it will be looked back on as one of the most significant audiophile products of all time.    

You essentially are just hearing the DAC as the 'amp' is nothing more than the necessary I/V conversation and six small discrete resistors on the output. This is partly why the output is so transparent.

Interesting comment about the bass as the frequency response is ruler flat in the bass. I suspect you may be used to added amp bass colouration from another device.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #20,222 of 42,765
You essentially are just hearing the DAC as the 'amp' is nothing more than the necessary I/V conversation and six small discrete resistors on the output. This is partly why the output is so transparent.

Interesting comment about the bass as the frequency response is ruler flat in the bass. I suspect you may be used to added amp bass colouration from another device.

+1

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #20,223 of 42,765
Not at all, just that, for me, I'm kind of particular about adding stress on the jacks, with any device when in the pocket. Actually, I'd say the optical and coaxial input jacks are about as robust as any device I've ever used.

beerchug.gif

Thanks for that perspective. It encourages me to explore DAPs.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #20,225 of 42,765
Now that I've lived with the Mojo about a month I think I'll offer my two cents. Overall it's impressive in just about every way that matters and is a stunningly good value. I would not hesitate to pay $600 just for the DAC portion alone. The fact that it has a pretty damn good headphone amp built in makes it a complete no-brainer.

The only slight drawback I've noticed (and it could be just the character of my headphones coming out) is that it can sound a little bit polite at times. Additionally, the bass is pleasing but it doesn't hit very hard nor does it go all the way down. In just about every other category it is excellent to amazing (especially considering the price). I've heard DAC's costing twice as much that didn't have this much resolution nor rendered the music in such a listenable and pleasing way. I have no doubt it will be looked back on as one of the most significant audiophile products of all time.    
exactly so by EQing the Mojo a bit it bass hits harder and deeper while keeping its smooth details intact.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #20,226 of 42,765
What would one suggest is a better pairing;

CA Andromeda + Mojo
Or
K10u + Mojo

Many thanks

I wish I could comment on the campfires, but the K10u are a great match for the mojo, Some of the best sound I ever heard from a portable setup, that being said, they are a few hundred more. I am sure both would do well.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #20,227 of 42,765
  I've been imagining the design of a wallet of some sort that could clip on a belt or ride in a pocket to hold the stack and keep the volume buttons accessible.  Have you seen or know of anything like this?

"but even a DAP using optical or coaxial or OTG USB may stress their inputs"  Do the optical and coax Mojo inputs have a shallow seating?

I use this on my belt to carry mojo/ipod touch/Penon cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000996BA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not idyllic but it's cheap and it's functional.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #20,228 of 42,765
Mojo plays better to PCM's strengths over the DSD format. Indeed I gave up on DSD a long time ago. I've had the X5 since day one and I can honestly say DSD is NOT worth the hassle, especially where audio fidelity is concerned for me. The X5 outputs at 24/88.2 through coaxial, the X3ii can output DSD over DoP with the latest FW. Really, I would take the dual slots of the X5 over the capability to output DSD any day. Then again, that's just my opinion, YMMV.
wink.gif

Does X5 (1st Gen) have separate Coax output and Line output or both share the same output? If X5 has separate Coax output I can use the regular 3.5mm TRS to TRS stereo cable (instead of custom made 3.5mm Coax cable) to connect X5 to Mojo's Coax iuput. Am I correct? That can save me $35 from buying custom made cable.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #20,229 of 42,765
Does X5 (1st Gen) have separate Coax output and Line output or both share the same output? If X5 has separate Coax output I can use the regular 3.5mm TRS to TRS stereo cable (instead of custom made 3.5mm Coax cable) to connect X5 to Mojo's Coax iuput. Am I correct? That can save me $35 from buying custom made cable.

Yes to both questions (seperate coaxial Jack and able to use a regular TRS interconnect). One of the reasons I haven't sold mine as it's great as a backup transport with dual slots.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #20,230 of 42,765
Yes to both questions (seperate coaxial Jack and able to use a regular TRS interconnect). One of the reasons I haven't sold mine as it's great as a backup transport with dual slots.

Thanks for your speedy answer. One more question. Do you consider the manufacturer refurbished X5 as reliable as regular unit using as the transport for Mojo? or should I wait for the FiiO T3? Thank you in advance.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #20,231 of 42,765
Thanks for your speedy answer. One more question. Do you consider the manufacturer refurbished X5 as reliable as regular unit using as the transport for Mojo? or should I wait for the FiiO T3? Thank you in advance.

I have no idea about the reliability of refurbished FiiO gear. For the T3 you may be waiting a while and it seems FiiO has gone silent on the device for the time being. They do like to announce some products well ahead of manufacturing so I wouldn't hold my breath on the T3. It will have dual full size SD slots for more storage than dual micro SD, and touch screen navigation (which may make it the better choice for navigation for most people), but again, the release date is a complete uncertainty right now.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #20,232 of 42,765
hiby music free app can also do bit perfect like uapp. but hiby is less tweakable and can suffer from clicks and pop in case of high resolution files as in the settings you can't adjust the buffer.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #20,233 of 42,765
hiby music free app can also do bit perfect like uapp. but hiby is less tweakable and can suffer from clicks and pop in case of high resolution files as in the settings you can't adjust the buffer.

Maybe that explains why with Hiby, even with standard resolution files, I was suffering from clicks and pops. Changing to UAPP resolved things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back