Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 19, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #20,208 of 42,765
Jul 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #20,209 of 42,765

Thanks for the link. I was aware of Android's up-sampling. I am trying to find out if Foobar can by-pass the Android up-sampling, and do bit-perfect like the UAPP, so that FooBar can be recommended to Android users. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/17940#post_12599781

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/1965#post_12019350

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/1980#post_12019446

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #20,210 of 42,765

Thanks once again. As you can see, all those posts refer to Foobar2000 for Windows PC. (Also, one of the links is to a post that I made
wink.gif

Foobar released a mobile version of their app for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile. I am not too concerned about the iOS version, as iOS already outputs bit-perfect through CCK and there are a plenty of app options.

But there is no app other than UAPP that outputs bit-perfect for Android devices. But UAPP can do bit-perfect, only for streaming and not the local music file playback. As we know that, Mojo works best with bit-perfect signals, I am trying to find out if Foobar for Android can do bit-perfect.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #20,212 of 42,765
Now that I've lived with the Mojo about a month I think I'll offer my two cents. Overall it's impressive in just about every way that matters and is a stunningly good value. I would not hesitate to pay $600 just for the DAC portion alone. The fact that it has a pretty damn good headphone amp built in makes it a complete no-brainer.

The only slight drawback I've noticed (and it could be just the character of my headphones coming out) is that it can sound a little bit polite at times. Additionally, the bass is pleasing but it doesn't hit very hard nor does it go all the way down. In just about every other category it is excellent to amazing (especially considering the price). I've heard DAC's costing twice as much that didn't have this much resolution nor rendered the music in such a listenable and pleasing way. I have no doubt it will be looked back on as one of the most significant audiophile products of all time.    

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #20,213 of 42,765

Thanks once again. As you can see, all those posts refer to Foobar2000 for Windows PC. (Also, one of the links is to a post that I made
wink.gif

Foobar released a mobile version of their app for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile. I am not too concerned about the iOS version, as iOS already outputs bit-perfect through CCK and there are a plenty of app options.

But there is no (to my knowledge) app for Android that outputs bit-perfect, except UAPP. But UAPP can do bit-perfect, only for streaming and not the local music file playback. As we know that, Mojo works best with bit-perfect signals, I am trying to find out if Foobar for Android can do bit-perfect.

All I can say is that I was using Foobar2000 on my android phone, and then the version of android got updated, and I started to get a lot of  pops/crackles (call it what you will). Changing to HiBy yielded no improvement. I installed UAPP and 99% of the interference disappeared. There is still some occasional low-level noise, but I am not sure of the cause. I interpret this to mean that android was causing resource limitations of some form, leading to stuttering/pops whilst the music stream stopped then restarted.

I think UAPP is superior to Foobar2000, and worth the cost of €8.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #20,214 of 42,765
...But there is no (to my knowledge) app for Android that outputs bit-perfect, except UAPP. But UAPP can do bit-perfect, only for streaming and not the local music file playback...

what makes you think that, something already discussed and determined here on Head Fi?
confused.gif

When I run UAPP to play my "local" music files, the app indicates the sample rate and bit-depth of the source and sample rate of the connected DAC. Mojo's input type is correctly illuminated to indicate the sample rate of the song I'm playing.
Please be so kind to provide a link to the discussion (thread) regarding UAPP's limitations, thanks.
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #20,215 of 42,765
..The only slight drawback I've noticed (and it could be just the character of my headphones coming out) is that it can sound a little bit polite at times. Additionally, the bass is pleasing but it doesn't hit very hard nor does it go all the way down...

Compared to what other DAC(s)?

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #20,216 of 42,765
  what makes you think that, something already discussed and determined here on Head Fi?
confused.gif

When I run UAPP to play my "local" music files, the app indicates the sample rate and bit-depth of the source and sample rate of the connected DAC. Mojo's input type is correctly illuminated to indicate the sample rate of the song I'm playing.
Please be so kind to provide a link to the discussion (thread) regarding UAPP's limitations, thanks.
beerchug.gif

My bad. It was a misunderstanding. I had seen posts that said, UAPP can stream Tidal but cannot play the Tidal Offline Files*. That gave me the impression that it was a client app for streaming services and not a player for Local Music Files**. Thanks for correcting me. 

* Tidal Offline Files - The tracks that you browse on Tidal and can be downloaded to your device for 'Offline' use. These tracks can be accessed only through the Tidal app.

** Local Music Files - The music files that you own by downloading from web/ripping from CDs you purchased. The actual files that you can actually transfer from your PC/Mac to your mobile devices or vice versa.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #20,217 of 42,765

My bad. It was a misunderstanding. I had seen posts that said, UAPP can stream Tidal but cannot play the Tidal Offline files. That gave me the impression that it was a client app for streaming services and not a player for local music files. Thanks for correcting me. 

I only play music stored on my phone, and UAPP works perfectly.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #20,218 of 42,765

That reminds me of something well-worth feeding Mojo:

(click image)

Be assured that we are allways following your suggestions & advice religiously.
I am now feeding Mojo and awaiting for charge to start but It seems not working for time being most probably due to some unknown Rob's trick.
wink_face.gif

Once again thanks. Time for me to listen.
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #20,220 of 42,765
I've been imagining the design of a wallet of some sort that could clip on a belt or ride in a pocket to hold the stack and keep the volume buttons accessible.  Have you seen or know of anything like this?

"but even a DAP using optical or coaxial or OTG USB may stress their inputs"  Do the optical and coax Mojo inputs have a shallow seating?

Not at all, just that, for me, I'm kind of particular about adding stress on the jacks, with any device when in the pocket. Actually, I'd say the optical and coaxial input jacks are about as robust as any device I've ever used.

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back