Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 19, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #20,191 of 42,765
Interesting interview with John. It's a good watch, but I particularly like the part at 10min 45seconds.

Can't embed the video so I'll link it (if you just press play it should jump to the appropriate spot):

https://vimeo.com/174185746#t=10m45s

TL;DR
Basically John meant to say the Mojo has the same clarity and performance as HUGO, but is tuned slightly smoother. Instead he mistakenly said the Mojo has the same clarity and performance as DAVE.... Oops! Of course, he immediately corrected himself. I wish it were true!

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #20,192 of 42,765

Adding up to already cluttered thread: The mojo is freakin' amazeballs. I went to buy a Fiio e18 the saleslady pointed out the mojo and now I'm stuck on what body part to sell, damn you saleslady!

And BTW to clear up the Windows Phone confusions, it's confirmed otg is only supported on newer models that supports 'Continuum' for example the Lumia 950/xl. I am not sure about older models but my Lumia 830(running the latest windows 10m preview) does not work with the mojo.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/395360-external-audio-dac-support-usb-otg.html

Welcome to the show - many posters express the same sentiments, that the Mojo was not on their original list of DACs to try, but they don't regret their choice.

Enjoy the music for a while, before you venture onto the posts recommending $1500 headphones as essential to enjoy Mojo, or you will be back wondering about which body part to sell. 
wink.gif

Pah!   $1500 is nothing!
biggrin.gif

Mojo cannot be truly enjoyed unless you pair it with one of the most complex and priceless pieces of technology ever witnessed on planet earth.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #20,194 of 42,765

Mojo cannot be truly enjoyed unless you pair it with one of the most complex and priceless pieces of technology ever witnessed on planet earth.

You must be referring to the human brain, or do Chord have something up their sleeve. 
biggrin.gif

Yes, the human brain (and the attached humanbeing
rolleyes.gif
)

I don't think Chord are secretly developing an android, yet, to better appreciate the SQ of their products than a humanbeing currently can.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #20,197 of 42,765
In the end an all in one CCK aftermarket cable will help, for sure, but it can still stress the input depending on how the stack is taken care of. I guess what I'm saying is that whether using the Mojo or any other device stacked with a DAP, care should be taken with regard to stress on the inputs.

I've been imagining the design of a wallet of some sort that could clip on a belt or ride in a pocket to hold the stack and keep the volume buttons accessible.  Have you seen or know of anything like this?

"but even a DAP using optical or coaxial or OTG USB may stress their inputs"  Do the optical and coax Mojo inputs have a shallow seating?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #20,199 of 42,765
PMSL at my lowly 128Gb (full up) Macbook air trying to decode and play DSD256 with no buffer space! Errr, comedy value 100%, play value 0%. :)
VOX is gone, long live Audirvana! Superb program, will have to pay for it though. Shweet

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #20,201 of 42,765
When you pair up the mojo does it matter what pair it up with? I am using it with my lg G4 at the moment but would there be any sound differences with for example a HTC 10?

None. Only possible difference is if DSP of some kind is running on one device and isn't on the other...

I used a $20 bad ESN phone from ebay as a transport for my mojo dedicated. I was happy with it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #20,202 of 42,765
When you pair up the mojo does it matter what pair it up with? I am using it with my lg G4 at the moment but would there be any sound differences with for example a HTC 10?

The biggest differences between phones are which operating system do they use (each operating system has different default settings for audio), which music player do you use, and can you add a SD card (to increase the amount of music that you can store on the phone).

Both the phones that you mention run Android, and have a SD card slot, and you can chose the music player that you want to use (this affects the DSP) - so potentially there is no sound difference.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #20,204 of 42,765

One of the biggest factors in how good a smartphone will sound with Mojo is whether or not you are able to minimise any stray RF by using it in airplane mode.

In other words, almost any phone (as long as it is not interfering with the bitstream by DSP or EQ or upsampling) will sound good with Mojo as long as RF is minimised as much as possible.

To put it yet another way, a cheap smartphone in airplane mode is likely to sound at least as good as an expensive smartphone that isn't in airplane mode, and probably better (if you decide to buy a cheap smartphone, just to use with Mojo, in airplane mode, then check that it is compatible with USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP), so that Android's automatic upsampling can be bypassed, and check that the smartphone definitely supports USB audio output).

However, some people find that some DAPs with a co-axial connection to Mojo sound (to their tastes) slightly better than other DAPs with a co-axial connection to Mojo.

Similarly, some people find that some DAPs with an optical connection to Mojo sound (to their tastes) slightly better than other DAPs with an optical connection to Mojo.

So, there are possible small nuances in how well the digital-output of different devices has been designed and implemented.

This is why it can be a controversial topic.

But, Rob assures us that Mojos measured digital performance is equivalent, across all Mojos connection types (USB, optical, co-axial). You can read about this in Rob's discussions, which you will find in post #3 ('Detailed & in-depth Information on Mojo, by Rob Watts' > 'Does Mojo measure different performance depending on which input is used?'), and also in the section entitled 'Is one of the input types better than the others?', further down the page, in post #3.

Nuances aside, and broadly-speaking, the main thing, no matter what transport device you choose to feed a digital signal to Mojo, is to try to ensure RF is being minimised, and ensure that the device is not tampering with the purity of the bitstream prior to sending it to Mojo. The RF issue can slightly favour choosing optical transmission, since this is relatively invulnerable to RF (I say relatively, because although the connection itself may be immune to RF, it doesn't automatically make Mojo totally immune to stray RF in the immediate environment).

This is not unique to Mojo - all electronics, all DACs, all DAC-Amps, are susceptible to slightly-reduced audio performance in the presence of RF - that's just the way life is.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #20,205 of 42,765
Android users, what is your feedback on Foobar2000 for Android? Especially trying to pair with Mojo. Can it do bit-perfect? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back