Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 18, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #20,161 of 42,765
Thanks again xRELICx!!!    To paraphrase; By holding down the volume while powering up automatically selects the 3v output (which is optimal for using another amp in conjunction with the Mojo DAC) but hitting the volume in that mode will give a variable output and basically it is operating normally for headphones or increased power if I am still using a separate amp.     

Yes. To be crystal clear the line-level setting of 3V is simply a shortcut to that volume level, with the feature that it is not remembered after powering off. Nothing fundamentally switches inside the Mojo, it's always essentially a variable line out.

For some amps 3V is too hot and you may encounter clipping. If you'd like to get to the standard 2V then press Volume Down 4x from line level to get to 1.9V (close enough).

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #20,162 of 42,765
Your contributions to this device are amazing

Thanks it is appreciated 

Cord should give you a Hugo to play with for all your help  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #20,165 of 42,765
Yes i agree but i think if its anyone that deserves a gift from chord it would be mython. Hes done this since thread day 1.

Both Relic and Mython have made tremendous contributions and it wouldn't be fair to pick one. I will relieve you all from the trouble and will make the ultimate sacrifice of accepting the HUGO myself 
wink.gif

I guess the Ultimate Sacrifice would be accepting a DAVE, and I am ready for that as well..

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #20,166 of 42,765
Quote:
...€500 and the darn thing doesn't even come with it's own PS...
tongue.gif

But the darn thing is indeed coming with an USB charging cable. Yes it is short, yes it stiff, No it doesn't have fancy silver.
But it is very good for USB data audio too.

Yes, the darn thing does come with a great USB cable - perfect for the data interface, which I presume is what it's intended for and indeed, what I use it for
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Quote:
Rob has certainly mentioned that some cheap USB cables have a resistance that can be too high to function well, for charging purposes.

... €500 and the darn thing doesn't even come with it's own PS...
tongue.gif

...Mojo brings a level of performance to the price-point that puts the rest of the market... well...

Touché
beerchug.gif
  Given Arpiben's "suggestion" above, one can even say the Mojo comes GTG. After all, I do believe the lads over @Chord presumed we'd be using the Mojo OTG and eventually charging it "overnight", much like we do with our Smartphones*
*Unless you own one of those pesky iPhones which needs recharging 3x daily
biggrin.gif

...Please find hereafter my Mojo`s battery result. You were right: 7h45. Test condition; Load ETHER C: 23 Ohms / Volume: varying between the first double red and 4 dB/clicks down... / Audio data: USB / Listenning sessions: 2  (2h + 5h45) / Mojo switched Off: 3h between the two sessions
Mojo`s Led status:
Blue:         1h30min
Green:      5h35min
Red:             30min
Red blnking: 10min
Note: My eyes didn`t see the yellow Led status.

Quote:
You should expect 8-10, 7 would be on the low end although I've seen reports of 6.

8-10? I WISH!!!
frown.gif
I've had my brand new Mojo (SN# M035nnn) almost a month now and I guesstimate 7hrs tops. This is based on continuous use (tried to burn it in overnight and ~7hrs later I awoke to a warm, but turned-off Mojo)... . The power LED is blue for <2hrs, and green until about the 4hr-total mark at which point it turns yellow. Yellow represents approximately the 50% mark. So maybe, when not using it in one long session, it might come out to a total of 8hrs in multi-sessions. I will investigate further... .

Okay, I did another run, this time during daylight hrs (so that I could monitor it more closely) and using Arpiben's most scientific approach (above):

Load: 32ohms, 99dB (spl@1mW)
Volume: medium double-red
Data path: Foobar2000->USB 3.0->Mojo
Session: 1 continuous run
EDIT 2:
Warmest surface temp noted 29.5C (24.5C Ambient) 11C over ambient*
*I now own an IR measurement tool which is clearly much more accurate than my first attempt using a household device.

Blue:              1h45mins 22%  (78% vs. Rob's 80%)
Green:           2h15mins 29%  (49% vs. 50%)
Yellow:           3h15mins 41%  (8% vs. 10%)
Red:              0h30mins 6%    (2% vs.  2%)
Red blinking: 0h8mins 2%      (<2% vs. <2%)
Grand Total:  7h53mins 100%

Looks like Rob was spot on re. the pwr LED colors and the implied % of remaining charge
cool.gif
And he was smart enough to publish percentages (and not mins)
wink.gif

In any event, I used what I would say are "average" IEMs in terms of sensitivity and impedance. Furthermore, I didn't feel as if the more efficient JHA Angies (17 ohms, 117dB) got more time from the Mojo suggesting that indeed the DAC/FPGA uses much more of the juice than the analog output stage...

EDIT
Charging Mojo with my Samsung "ETA-U90EWE" 5V/2A PS: 6hrs*
Using my Notebook's "hot" USB 3.0:                                 ~6hrs*
*Typical charge is 4 hours when Mojo's not completely depleted. Mojo cools down after a max. of 4hrs charge-time indicating either it (or the charging module) is in trickle-charge mode for the last 2 hrs.
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #20,167 of 42,765

Quote:
I thought I read that the Mojo has safety built in for an adapter that is too many volts amps or whatever the correct term is. Didn't ​ ​ state this?
Am I crazy or is the above statement true?

Surges protection wrote Rob.

Lightning is big surge.
o2smile.gif
 (obviously kidding)

Now seriously, what it is not clear for you regarding all those protections?
Rgds.

That reminds me of something well-worth feeding Mojo:

(click image)

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #20,168 of 42,765
Wow! OMG and various other acronyms and stuff. lol.
I am a new Mojo user. Its been charging and i've only just started using it. Coldplay..........awesome. A different soundstage to my ZX2, however with that I am using a balanced cable and the ZX2 sounds just sublime. The Mojo is only just getting going now. It is so so nice to be able to use my Qobuz stream on a better screen/gadget than that poxy Android system on the ZX2 though. iPhone wipes the floor with that, of course, in terms of user interface and ease of use. For me this is due to the fact I need glasses too, so the much larger iPhone screen is most welcome.

Not sure I like the volume being colours however I will get used to it. 
Colours for the type of file playing is good - I will always know I am really listening to hi-res files, etc.

Thanks to you all for the awesome Mojo thread and help on here, I really do appreciate all your efforts on that.

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #20,169 of 42,765
Wow! OMG and various other acronyms and stuff. lol.
I am a new Mojo user. Its been charging and i've only just started using it. Coldplay..........awesome. A different soundstage to my ZX2, however with that I am using a balanced cable and the ZX2 sounds just sublime. The Mojo is only just getting going now. It is so so nice to be able to use my Qobuz stream on a better screen/gadget than that poxy Android system on the ZX2 though. iPhone wipes the floor with that, of course, in terms of user interface and ease of use. For me this is due to the fact I need glasses too, so the much larger iPhone screen is most welcome.

Not sure I like the volume being colours however I will get used to it. 
Colours for the type of file playing is good - I will always know I am really listening to hi-res files, etc.

Thanks to you all for the awesome Mojo thread and help on here, I really do appreciate all your efforts on that.

You can press both volume buttons at the same time to adjust brightness. High or low. Just in case if you were wondering.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #20,170 of 42,765
Hi all, I am trying to play a DSD256 file via Macbook Air, VOX and Mojo. Vox says the file is only 352 Khz when it is supposed to be quad DSD. Mojo colour looks to reflect the fact it is 352 Khz.
So although I downloaded the DSD256 files, what am I missing here? It is connected to Macbook via USB .
Thanks,
Rich,

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #20,171 of 42,765

Even putting aside SQ issues, not sure at all that the hub will work. More experienced headfiers may answer that point more properly.
Since you `only` want to have USB unplug/plug reachability why not considering a simple USB cable extender ?
Keep the whole thing (End to End) as short as possible let`s say around 1m and you should not face SQ issues.
Rgds

After a little bit of jigging about I managed to run my Mojo USB cable to another USB port. It's accessible and makes unplugging easy. Therefor I can use this method for input selection. It does however leave me with a problem when I need both my PC's front USB ports. E.g. for my blu-ray external drive when I want to watch on my PC. I could of course buy an internal BR-player, however for now I will jig about the cables. Thank you again.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #20,172 of 42,765
There are multiple reasons why using a DAP with the Mojo makes more sense for different people. To each their own.

I am working with the Mojo/iPhone6 using the recommended Apple CCK connector with the supplied Mojo USB connector.  It is awkward and difficult to configure to make sure I am not stressing the shallow USB input on the Mojo. It has been hard  to carry the combo in even large pockets without the potential for stressing the USB input.  I have noted the custom cable discussions of USB-Lightning cables that include the Apple chip, but I am still concerned that over time these cables, too,  will stress the USB input.  Am I overly concerned about this or is this a strong argument for a DAP?

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #20,173 of 42,765
Regarding the charging, I believe there is something funky with Samsung chargers (or cables.) They don't seem to charge non-Samsung devices very well. Same goes for charging Samsung devices with non-Samsung chargers. I have one Samsung charger at home from an old Samsung phone, and another at work for a Samsung tablet, and both have problems charging other devices.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #20,174 of 42,765
Regarding the charging, I believe there is something funky with Samsung chargers (or cables.) They don't seem to charge non-Samsung devices very well. Same goes for charging Samsung devices with non-Samsung chargers. I have one Samsung charger at home from an old Samsung phone, and another at work for a Samsung tablet, and both have problems charging other devices.

I never had such scenarios or heard of it, i just use any charger that i can find and charge as it is, htc or asus or any device, I charge with the sam charger and measures fine, maybe it's that particular charger having problems

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #20,175 of 42,765
After a little bit of jigging about I managed to run my Mojo USB cable to another USB port. It's accessible and makes unplugging easy. Therefor I can use this method for input selection. It does however leave me with a problem when I need both my PC's front USB ports. E.g. for my blu-ray external drive when I want to watch on my PC. I could of course buy an internal BR-player, however for now I will jig about the cables. Thank you again.

why not use a powered by usb hub ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back