Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 18, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #20,148 of 42,765
Subjectively, the 'better' sound will depend on whether you like the Mojo's smoother presentation over the Hugo. Objectively, the Mojo actually measures better and supports more sampling rates for PCM and DSD. The Hugo has crossfeed and Bluetooth and more input/output options (but the inputs/outputs are really no better per-se). Mojo and Hugo share the same output power but the Hugo's battery lasts longer per charge. Subjectively, only you can determine if you like it better than the Schitt gear you have, but I know of many who prefer the Mojo to the Bifrost, but I also know of some who prefer the Bifrost. Measureably the Mojo is better than the Bifrost Multibit and Valhalla2.

Definitely better than Schitt I'd say.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #20,149 of 42,765
  I didn't realise there were USB chargers exceeding the 5V standard - in that instance, I suppose the charger could (depending on how well Mojos charging circuit is protected) potentially 'force' charging at an undesired rate.

However, knowing how fastidious Rob, John and Matt are in their circuit designs, I suspect they would take the precaution of including over-voltage protection on Mojos charging input.

Yes there is over voltage protection on the charging port. This is intended for initial protection upon connection to avoid inductive over voltage surges damaging Mojo. The USB input must be a USB legal 5v input; the over voltage chargers have a communications protocol to set the voltage higher than the usual 5v; Mojo does not have this protocol, so a USB charger should not be able to deliver more than 5v.

Rob

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #20,150 of 42,765
I didn't realise there were USB chargers exceeding the 5V standard - in that instance, I suppose the charger could (depending on how well Mojos charging circuit is protected) potentially 'force' charging at an undesired rate.

However, knowing how fastidious Rob, John and Matt are in their circuit designs, I suspect they would take the precaution of including over-voltage protection on Mojos charging input.

there is the oppo vooc charger which delivers 9v 2a for their vooc charging

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #20,152 of 42,765
  Rob has certainly mentioned that some cheap USB cables have a resistance that can be too high to function well, for charging purposes.

Hmm...
...that brings up the thought I had the other day... €500 and the darn thing doesn't even come with it's own PS...
tongue.gif

Yes, like everyone else here, I already have a half-dozen >1A USB chargers that came with my smartphone(s) but...
...just sayin'
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #20,153 of 42,765

Rob has certainly mentioned that some cheap USB cables have a resistance that can be too high to function well, for charging purposes.

Hmm...
...that brings up the thought I had the other day... €500 and the darn thing doesn't even come with it's own PS...
tongue.gif

Yes, like everyone else here, I already have a half-dozen >1A USB chargers that came with my smartphone(s) but...
...just sayin'
wink_face.gif

Yes, that's a fair comment (and I know you said it amicably
wink_face.gif
), and, let's face it, the more-expensive Hugo does come with a (non-USB) power supply - but, even so... you know what I'm going to say...
biggrin.gif

Mojo brings a level of performance to the price-point that puts the rest of the market... well...

The price for mojo is definetly reasonable (just so I don't get shot here, with these people)

But 600$ is quite high for something that was intended to Accompany a phone. I sure enjoy it, too me perceived value is about 350 tops

I'm sure we could have achieved that price had we just done what everyone else in this industry does. That is to put a industry standard Dac chip inside. But had we done that it would sound like every one else's does too. Instead inside mojo you have got a reference quality custom Dac that has about five hundred times the signal processing that other Dacs have including forty or more DSP cores running similtainiosly. Never underestimate something just because it is small. surprisingly Mojo has far more active electronics than virtually all desktop dacs too.

Quote:

Hi John,

Sounds like you have quite a few Mojo addons in the pipeline. You have talked about three or four additional modules, plus Apple and Android "packs" and now a connector. Quite a nice revenue stream if dealers are prepared to stock them and customers can track them down. Will you be offering a direct mail order service in the UK? I bought a second Hugo charger directly from Chord but I know this is not currently an advertised service.

Ian

In truth we are not really considering these first add on items as a significant revenue stream instead we see them as a way of getting new people started and able to use Mojo. We had to keep them as separate items from Mojo as we were fighting every penny to get to the magic sub four hundred pounds. This was a very very tough thing to do,it's a price performance issue. That had we'd failed we would not have been able to address a wider audience. You see it our intention to bring more non audiophiles into this business this will help the whole industry not just us. We intend to take very little profit then from these start up kits but by making things easier we will win more customers overall.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #20,155 of 42,765
  ... Does anyone have recommendations for a relatively cheap charger + USB data cable for the Mojo in a home set-up?

A bog-standard Apple-certified charger will do the job nicely. Absolutely standard - no 'boost' charge modes or anything like that. Just an ordinary, standard, certified-quality, 'dumb' USB charger (with at least 1 amp, or more, output).

As for USB data cables, for use at home, you won't go far wrong with a QED or Audio Technica cable.

Having said that, I encourage you to choose one that does not have large plugs, so that you don't place unnecessary strain/leverage on Mojos microUSB socket.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #20,157 of 42,765
Am I crazy or is the above statement true?

You are not crazy
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/13155#post_12418232

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #20,158 of 42,765
  Hmm...
tongue.gif

...just sayin'
wink_face.gif

But the darn thing is indeed comming with an USB charging cable. Yes it is short, yes it stiff, No it doesn't have fancy silver.
But it is very good for USB data audio too.
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #20,159 of 42,765

Quote:
I thought I read that the Mojo has safety built in for an adapter that is too many volts amps or whatever the correct term is. Didn't ​ ​ state this?
Am I crazy or is the above statement true?

Surges protection wrote Rob.

Lightning is big surge.
o2smile.gif
 (obviously kidding)

Now seriously, what it is not clear for you regarding all those protections?
Rgds.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #20,160 of 42,765
Basically it already does output straight from the DAC with only an I/V converter necessary for output. No other opamps in the output stage like traditional designs, and it's about as transparent as you can get from the DAC. Think of the Mojo as having variable line out instead of seperate headphone amp. Because of the DAC performance it's different from other DAC/amp combos. You can read Rob Watts explanation in the third post of the thread. The line level setting is just a volume shortcut to 3V.

Thanks again xRELICx!!!    To paraphrase; By holding down the volume while powering up automatically selects the 3v output (which is optimal for using another amp in conjunction with the Mojo DAC) but hitting the volume in that mode will give a variable output and basically it is operating normally for headphones or increased power if I am still using a separate amp.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back