Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #20,116 of 42,765
Fair on the "better" sound bit. Thanks for all the comparative info. With the Mojo being objectively better than the Hugo I'm leaning toward it currently especially after reading back through the thread a bit and seeing all of the good impressions regarding it's pairing with the HD 800's. Also with its much lower price point I could pick up and upgraded cable for my HD 800's xD

I paired the hd800 with mojo and it sounded very good. I was using my X7, which is rooted and running V4A, setup for a basshead. With that setup the hd800 hit very hard, I was not expecting that type of bass response at all. I've read mixed reviews with mojo and hd800, but I haven't read about anyone running Viper4Android with it. That could have been a huge difference as it really alters the sound signature.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #20,117 of 42,765
I do use Anker charger. It has intelligent charging system (Anker IQ)

From their website:
PowerIQ™ technology dynamically detects and adapts to your device's unique charging protocol enabling it to charge at full speed. So thanks to PowerIQ™, together with Anker's industry-leading power output, charge faster and save time.

MultiProtect Safety System
Surge protection, short circuit prevention, temperature control and more keep you and your devices safe. 12/24V input.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #20,118 of 42,765
Someone mentioned a while back about Qualcomm's Quickcharge compatible chargers. A while back, I was told by a friend who was specializing in Batteries that, when charging a Lithium based battery, there is no harm for the device's battery if the current output of a charger is higher than the recommended value. But care should be taken not to use a charger that outputs voltage different from what is recommended. So the Mojo can be charged with any 5V charger that outputs equal or greater than 1A current.

Quickcharge chargers (or Quickcharge ports in chargers) have a higher voltage than 5V. So my guess is it should not be used to charge Mojo unless otherwise necessary.

Any clarification on this topic is appreciated!

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #20,119 of 42,765
I didn't realise there were USB chargers exceeding the 5V standard - in that instance, I suppose the charger could (depending on how well Mojos charging circuit is protected) potentially 'force' charging at an undesired rate.

However, knowing how fastidious Rob, John and Matt are in their circuit designs, I suspect they would take the precaution of including over-voltage protection on Mojos charging input.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #20,120 of 42,765
  Someone mentioned a while back about Qualcomm's Quickcharge compatible chargers. A while back, I was told by a friend who was specializing in Batteries that, when charging a Lithium based battery, there is no harm for the device's battery if the current output of a charger is higher than the recommended value. But care should be taken not to use a charger that outputs voltage different from what is recommended. So the Mojo can be charged with any 5V charger that outputs equal or greater than 1A current.

Quickcharge chargers (or Quickcharge ports in chargers) have a higher voltage than 5V. So my guess is it should not be used to charge Mojo unless otherwise necessary.

Any clarification on this topic is appreciated!

IMHO, there is no harm trying such Quick/Boost/Fast chargers since Mojo will never draw more than 1A under 5V.
Provided that they are rated 5V and not 9V or more.

In most cases, if those above do not detect a device (Mojo) using the same language/protocol for charge regulation they;
- either switch to low power 5V/1A in that case no issue or 5V/0.5A ( hence Mython and others advice not to use them in some cases),
- either do not provide the current output

What people need to take care of, in those days where USB cables are used everywhere, is that the USB cable must be properly dimensioned or approved for the rated current.If, by mistake or convenience, you are using a stock USB, from an oldy phone rated at 0.5A max, chances are great that the cable will start slowly, but surely burning if you are using it for Mojo`s charge or worse phablet etc....
Regards

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #20,121 of 42,765
Rob has certainly mentioned that some cheap USB cables have a resistance that can be too high to function well, for charging purposes.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #20,122 of 42,765
  I didn't realise there were USB chargers exceeding the 5V standard - in that instance, I suppose the charger could (depending on how well Mojos charging circuit is protected) potentially 'force' charging at an undesired rate.

However, knowing how fastidious Rob, John and Matt are in their circuit designs, I suspect they would take the precaution of including over-voltage protection on Mojos charging input.

Right. Some over-voltage protections need  the item to be sent back. Probably not the case with Mojo but until Chord do not confirm/infirm better not take any risks.
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #20,123 of 42,765
My advice to anybody who is in a quandry about chargers is to just buy an Apple 12W iPad charger. These are dumb and designed for devices that actually limit and monitor their own charging, like the Mojo itself.

If a charger is doing it's own sensing then it may be that the charger decides to stop even though a device is still on trickle charge - something I've found with battery powerbanks in that when the current draw goes below a certain amount then they'll switch off.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #20,124 of 42,765

Guys, see this post of mine I made a few weeks back. @Traveller, I don't get the dropouts, but I do get those loud pops/clicks when I seek within a track.
@rkt31, I am trying to avoid using ASIO because it seems to sound dull. So I am sticking with WASAPI, even though I get those loud pops. Do you know why ASIO is not sounding as good as WASAPI? Do I need to change any setting?

I received my Mojo yesterday. I installed the driver for Windows 10, and it only installed ASIO without allowing choice of WASAPI. How do I install WASPI? I use JRiver MC. Mojo with DT880-600 ohm sounds very musical and addicting  with amazing treble, mid and bass for  classical music. By the way, when I played DSD file JRiver automatically converted the file to 176Hz in stead of DSD format. Can any one please tell me how to setup and play DSD files with JRiver MC? Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #20,125 of 42,765
  Rob has certainly mentioned that some cheap USB cables have a resistance that can be too high to function well, for charging purposes.

Post #3:

Quote: (bold added by me)
Originally Posted by Rob Watts   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo ideas 

Originally Posted by georgelai57 

Hi Rob, and John,

1. If I leave the Mojo plugged in to the wall wart all the time, that should be fine, correct?
2. I presume that any time I want to resume listening in its present setup (meaning listening via the computer and with the charging cable still connected to the wall wart), the Mojo should be "ready to go" and that there is no need for me to ascertain the battery level? 
3. If I then use the Mojo as a portable, and later on connect it back to the computer for listening (with the charging cable then connected to the wall wart again), what would be the minimum color of the battery light? Green?

1) yes it should be fine
2) overall there is a slight net drain on the battery so starting at blue or green on the battery indicator is a good idea but not mandatory
3) difficult to answer as it depends how long you've been listening whilst mobile but see answer above. Happy listening George!

John answered 1 and 2 fine, but I thought I would clarify exactly what happens when you charge and listen at the same time.

I use a dedicated charging chip for the Li battery, and this has a number of safety features, and works with a number of settings to ensure safety.

Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging. So if you are charging and playing, then when you have finished listening, turn Mojo off, and it will be OK. When Mojo is blue, and you connect the charger, then it is trickle charge mode, and the safety charger is not operating. So if Mojo is green, the safety timer won't trip out, as it will play and leave full charge mode within 8 hours, so you will be OK. It should be OK at yellow too. I guess the easiest way of dealing with it is to turn Mojo off after listening, then you will be fine, unless you listen for longer than 8 hours starting from fully flat.

Note that you can get the flashing battery LED if the USB charger voltage is low, from a charger that can't supply the current, or a USB cable that has high resistance. But you will see this pretty early on.

I hope this clarifies.

Rob

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #20,126 of 42,765

Qualcomm's Quickcharge chargers can output 9V. And I believe the version 3.0 (Quickcharge 3.0 and not USB 3.0) is capable of doing even 12V.

IMHO, there is no harm trying such Quick/Boost/Fast chargers since Mojo will never draw more than 1A under 5V.
Provided that they are rated 5V and not 9V or more.

In most cases, if those above do not detect a device (Mojo) using the same language/protocol for charge regulation they;
- either switch to low power 5V/1A in that case no issue or 5V/0.5A ( hence Mython and others advice not to use them in some cases),
- either do not provide the current output

Thanks for this info!

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #20,128 of 42,765
  I received my Mojo yesterday. I installed the driver for Windows 10, and it only installed ASIO without allowing choice of WASAPI. How do I install WASPI? I use JRiver MC. Mojo with DT880-600 ohm sounds very musical and addicting  with amazing treble, mid and bass for  classical music. By the way, when I played DSD file JRiver automatically converted the file to 176Hz in stead of DSD format. Can any one please tell me how to setup and play DSD files with JRiver MC? Thanks in advance.

I am sorry, I wish I could help. But I have no experience with JRiver and so I'm not aware how to install WASAPI. I use FooBar 2K and there is a WASAPI component for Foobar that needs to be installed.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #20,129 of 42,765
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the Mojo to replace my Schiit. Can anyone recommend a good/well-built 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter? I was thinking https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adapter-Authentic-Genuine-Universal/dp/B00L2SLLIO just because its Sennheiser.  

Also is there any reason I should not consider second hand and purchase a new mojo instead?

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #20,130 of 42,765
You might also consider a Furutech F 63 adapter. A reason not to buy a Mojo used would be if you are super hygienic, going crazy imagening other people dirt rolling on the glass balls....or maybe if it was sold from someone at Superbestaudiohaters... Just come from the Ether Flow thread over there and those guys could really need some happy pills... So yeah you can even buy from them... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back