Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #18,346 of 42,765
  I am a new Mojo owner. Can say that It is an upgrade from my Fiio X7 AM2. I have a question and am sure it must have been discussed before so pardon my ignorance.  When I connect the Mojo with my Macbook Air the Bit Rate indicator stays fixed at 768 (purple)  irrespective of the rate of the track played. Is this normal. Its works as perfectly with my lenovo Vibe P1 (only in the Airplane mode) though. I also connected it to my iPad and Iphone and I felt there was quite a lot of interference on my Iphone as compared to the iPad which was in the Airplane mode. I am using a shure SE846 for my initial listening. Thanks

That is because, Mac up-samples the data. You need an app that feeds bit perfect data into Mojo. There are a number of apps out there that can do bit-perfect: Vox, Audirvana +, Jriver, Amarra..

You can manually set the output bit-rate/depth on OS X without having to use additional software to do it.  Under Applications/Utilities run the "Audio Midi Setup" tool and you can specify the output to be what you want it to.  If you set it match your source files, then no re-sampling will occur.

Now, if you have lots of files at different bit-rates/depths, it's much easier to use one of many other music players to do this as they pretty much all reset these settings  on the fly based on the file you're playing.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #18,348 of 42,765
  I'm just curious, why is special about the Apple Lightning -> USB connector that allows it to work aside from the fact is has an MFi chip? 

I've seen quite a few third party charging cables that advertise that they are MFi certified, would it work if we use a female usb->microusb and then use this with standard Apple charging cable to connect to the Mojo? Or does the Apple Lightning to USB has some other special chip that allows it to interface with the Mojo?

Or maybe even this, which is an official Apple product which I believe should also contain an MFi chip, so any microusb->microusb cable can be used?

I don't have one myself, just wondering if anyone has tried 
smile.gif

I just got around to testing this and, sadly, no it doesn't work.

No error message or anything, but the DAC doesn't show up as an output option.  I tried it with the Mojo and a few other DACs I have around here.  No go.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #18,349 of 42,765

I just got around to testing this and, sadly, no it doesn't work.

No error message or anything, but the DAC doesn't show up as an output option.  I tried it with the Mojo and a few other DACs I have around here.  No go.

All right, thanks for testing it! Then I guess the CCK cable is much more than just a Lighting -> USB connector and has some other chip inside.. which it better have because it isn't cheap for what seems to be a simple cable! 

I'm wondering where do the makers of the unofficial lighting->usb cables on the first page get their DAC enabled MFi lightning connectors from.. it has to be sourced from somewhere if they're not making the connectors themselves. I would want to use the official Apple cable but it is bulky and not a good looking cable as well..

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #18,350 of 42,765

All right, thanks for testing it! Then I guess the CCK cable is much more than just a Lighting -> USB connector and has some other chip inside.. which it better have because it isn't cheap for what seems to be a simple cable! 

I'm wondering where do the makers of the unofficial lighting->usb cables on the first page get their DAC enabled MFi lightning connectors from.. it has to be sourced from somewhere if they're not making the connectors themselves. I would want to use the official Apple cable but it is bulky and not a good looking cable as well..

Absolutely correct. 

The custom cable makers actually buy the Apple cable and take that chip or that part of the cable out and just put it in their cable. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #18,351 of 42,765
Mojo vs DAC-19 feeding your Crimson is pretty interesting. Can you do this comparison?

I find them to be very close, but I've grown to prefer the Mojo over the DAC-19. That said, I use the DAC-19 to the Liquid Crimson I (still) have on loan because I just don't want to deal with battery management in a desktop scenario. The biggest difference is in the depth and smoothness with the Mojo, yet it's still very detailed. Like I said though, it's close.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #18,352 of 42,765

Music player such as Audirvana + will help matching music source file rate to output rate in the preferences of A+ in OSX.

That is because, Mac up-samples the data. You need an app that feeds bit perfect data into Mojo. There are a number of apps out there that can do bit-perfect: Vox, Audirvana +, Jriver, Amarra..

Thanks Guys. Will try 

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #18,354 of 42,765
  Another question. What works well with Iphone for bit perfect sound. Thanks

The built-in music player, along with things like the native clients for TIDAL, Spotify and so on, all play bit-perfect (no-upsampling) as standard.

If you want something with more control, or to play high-resolution files, things like Onkyo's HF Player will do the job.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #18,357 of 42,765

As @shultzee mentioned you may have grounding issues. Are you sure your desktop computer is connected to ground ?
If you are using an AC multi socket plug verify the grounding too.Because the only time I experienced an electric feeling/buzz in my ETHER C's was two days ago when outside weather was stormy with lightenning.
I know you are enjoying the combo so much but not at such point. Cheers
dt880smile.png

Yeah apparently my sockets aren't grounded. Ordered an optical cable now since I think its only the data cable which is causing the problem of cutting out and Rob said optical sounds best out of the Mojo too. :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #18,358 of 42,765
i wonder if optical out from pc mobo (realtek though) makes a difference from usb out. dsd over optical?

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #18,359 of 42,765
i wonder if optical out from pc mobo (realtek though) makes a difference from usb out. dsd over optical?

No DSD over optical with any device - that I know of.

I know better. Yes, DSD64 over DoP.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #18,360 of 42,765
No DSD over optical with any device - that I know of.

doing by DoP? and is pc mobo optical any reliable on sq? or usb better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back