Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #9,601 of 10,458
The reason for 3v being Chord standard DAC OP is more historical. Going back to the 90's, it was common to use passive pre-amps (that is a simple analogue volume control and nothing else), and a common complaint was 2v was not enough to drive power amps with quiet CDs - so I added some more voltage to 3v, and that became the standard OP voltage.

But things have moved on considerably since then, notably with my 100% transparent volume controls and the DACs becoming digital pre-amps rather than fixed voltage out DACs. And I found that the 3v was too high a level for some pre-amps - hence why Qutest had 1v, 2v and 3v fixed OP options. And of course, headphones are needing more voltage to drive them, and IEMs are insanely sensitive, so DAC amps are being pulled in two opposing directions.

So if I had a line level OP it would need to be adjustable, and I didn't want to make Mojo 2 more complicated to control, so the line level feature was dropped.
Sweet. Straight from the horse's mouth. Thanks. Love the Mojo 2.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #9,603 of 10,458
I've been using uber 2 stack for years and I like it.
I'm using it with Fidelio x2 and Dunu SA6 and I am planning to get some planar headphones soon (probably Nano or Organic).
Would Mojo 2 be considered an upgrade? I would be mostly using it as a desktop dac/amp.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #9,604 of 10,458
I've been using uber 2 stack for years and I like it.
I'm using it with Fidelio x2 and Dunu SA6 and I am planning to get some planar headphones soon (probably Nano or Organic).
Would Mojo 2 be considered an upgrade? I would be mostly using it as a desktop dac/amp.
Can't promise you'll like it more (since that comes down to personal preference), but in terms of build, design, parts, and features: yes, it's a substantial upgrade.

I will also add that my first desktop DAC for headphone use was a Modi. In the years since, I've gone through three other DACs before most recently landing on the Mojo 2. I would easily have to spend over $1000 to replace the Mojo 2 with anything that I think would be a worthwhile "upgrade" (and that's just for a desktop DAC replacement, not a portable DAC/amp).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #9,605 of 10,458
IMG_1194.jpeg
here’s a well connected mojo

This reminds me…..that i must use my Mojo 2 more…..and learn & find out, what i can actually connect it, too ! ??

I purchased last year, connected it to my laptop & iPad & barely used it. ( I’m always listening to my Sony DMP-Z1, which is addictive ! )

I’m not even sure what the Mojo 2, actually is ! :relaxed:

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #9,606 of 10,458
Hello! Would it be a good idea to pair Mojo 2 with JDS Labs El Amp II+ for more power-hungry (planar magnetic) headphones? :thinking:

I like my Mojo 2 very much and would ideally not replace it, but I am looking to upgrade from Sony MDR-A1M2 (or complement with) Dan Clark Audio E3. There are mixed opinions on whether Mojo 2 can drive it properly on this forum, so I am considering more juice just for peace of mind, without losing Mojo 2 as a DAC.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #9,607 of 10,458
Hello! Would it be a good idea to pair Mojo 2 with JDS Labs El Amp II+ for more power-hungry (planar magnetic) headphones?

Yeah, you’d still have the quality Mojo 2 source, but with around four times the output power with the JDS. Should be a fantastic system and some serious peace of mind!

~600 mW into 32 ohms vs 2,300 mW into 32 ohms!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #9,608 of 10,458
I use the mojo 2 as a dac / pre-amp for a little dot mk4, works beautifully with my hd800s & hd600.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #9,610 of 10,458
This reminds me…..that i must use my Mojo 2 more…..and learn & find out, what i can actually connect it, too ! ??

I purchased last year, connected it to my laptop & iPad & barely used it. ( I’m always listening to my Sony DMP-Z1, which is addictive ! )

Ah, don't worry about it. You clearly don't need it. Put up for sale for 50 quid ... someone will appreciate it and snap it up :dark_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #9,612 of 10,458

Having a £7000 dap to play with might make me overlook my £400 mojo2, too...

:)

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #9,614 of 10,458
Hello! Would it be a good idea to pair Mojo 2 with JDS Labs El Amp II+ for more power-hungry (planar magnetic) headphones? :thinking:

I like my Mojo 2 very much and would ideally not replace it, but I am looking to upgrade from Sony MDR-A1M2 (or complement with) Dan Clark Audio E3. There are mixed opinions on whether Mojo 2 can drive it properly on this forum, so I am considering more juice just for peace of mind, without losing Mojo 2 as a DAC.
I can say that Mojo2 drives the E3 more than just fine on its own. Technically, you can max them out at 118dB, but in practice, you will be getting the most transparency and quality driving the, directly at reasonable listening levels. That said, you may prefer the sound with the added equipment.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #9,615 of 10,458

I think the only advantage the Mojo 2 would offer you is its smaller size (and the greater peace of mind it might give you if you were to lose or damage a component that is 1/10 the price of your Sony!).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back