Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #10,458 of 10,572
For iems/headphones? None. For speakers, it depends on what you are driving.
Yeah for iems, for example I feel with Anni which are more power hungry, that a bigger power headroom will profit a lot and give it the just needed. I am already pushing blue on Mojo2 with them a lot of times.

I was looking at Kobo 475 which is a popular option. But then also theres CMA15 available for similair price at the moment.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #10,459 of 10,572
Yeah for iems, for example I feel with Anni which are more power hungry, that a bigger power headroom will profit a lot and give it the just needed. I am already pushing blue on Mojo2 with them a lot of times.

I was looking at Kobo 475 which is a popular option. But then also theres CMA15 available for similair price at the moment.
As the chart linked here shows, even if you are on double blue (which seems unlikely with iems) you still have 10 db of headroom to 0, and much more power available after that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ge-95-of-thread.885405/page-696#post-18086735

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #10,460 of 10,572

Blue isn't bad. Even if you're approaching the end of the color spectrum, there's still plenty of headroom left to go. Just try pushing it into the upper purples, and you'll quickly see just how much the Mojo 2's got left. Also: don't actually do that.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #10,461 of 10,572
As the chart linked here shows, even if you are on double blue (which seems unlikely with iems) you still have 10 db of headroom to 0, and much more power available after that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ge-95-of-thread.885405/page-696#post-18086735
I can push double blue and more, Anni23 are quite power hungry, I could see for example on Monarch MK3 I could use yellow/green and get loud levels, while on Anni had to go considerably more power. Also its been said all around threads and review the set of IEMs scales with additional power headroom and opens up more. Nevertheless, I wanted to expand and add the amp to the chain hence my question.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #10,462 of 10,572
I can push double blue and more, Anni23 are quite power hungry, I could see for example on Monarch MK3 I could use yellow/green and get loud levels, while on Anni had to go considerably more power. Also its been said all around threads and review the set of IEMs scales with additional power headroom and opens up more. Nevertheless, I wanted to expand and add the amp to the chain hence my question.
What is this "Anni23" you are referring to?

Is it the Chord Anni? If it is what do you mean its power hungry its an amplifier!

Check your source whatever it is and make sure its not outputting a low level digital signal because if its feeding Mojo 2 with a digitally attenuated signal (it should not BTW as this is bad, like crossing the streams) then low input = low output.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #10,463 of 10,572
What is this "Anni23" you are referring to?

Is it the Chord Anni? If it is what do you mean its power hungry its an amplifier!

Check your source whatever it is and make sure its not outputting a low level digital signal because if its feeding Mojo 2 with a digitally attenuated signal (it should not BTW as this is bad, like crossing the streams) then low input = low output.

Oh sorry, its Elysian Annihilator 2023 IEM's in my signature. Although Mojo2 drives them without many issues, I feel adding an amp will add the dynamics, body, punch and more with an amp. I was able to test some with an 1985 Kenwood KA990AX integrated amplifier, and I could already feel it got much better then just going directly to the Mojo. Since I don't really trust that amp for a daily driver, and its far to big, I am looking for a more portable option. So far I've narrowed it down to either Mass Kobo 475, Tsuranagi or going desktop like CMA15\18 master.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #10,464 of 10,572
Thanks. I need to try it first. I love the sound of my HD25 (maybe because I'm accustomed to it, using it for many years for djing) and I'd like to find something like that, with a bigger soundstage. I love dynamic, sharp sounding, micro details. I don't want to enter in a never ending headphone quest too
Not sure what your budget is or if you have a preference for headphones over IEM's.....But ive just upgraded from a pair Campfire Audio ARA to there Solaris Steller Horizon IEM. WOW........Ya want soundstage and detail, these deliver in spades and them some. Massive dynamic soundstage and able to zone in on any micro detail contained in the song. Thats as far as my reviewing skills will stretch to!!......Hope it helps......

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #10,465 of 10,572
Oh sorry, its Elysian Annihilator 2023 IEM's in my signature. Although Mojo2 drives them without many issues, I feel adding an amp will add the dynamics, body, punch and more with an amp. I was able to test some with an 1985 Kenwood KA990AX integrated amplifier, and I could already feel it got much better then just going directly to the Mojo. Since I don't really trust that amp for a daily driver, and its far to big, I am looking for a more portable option. So far I've narrowed it down to either Mass Kobo 475, Tsuranagi or going desktop like CMA15\18 master.
Now I understand. :) Good luck with your search. I've not really got any other advice to offer as I'm on the fence about this whole more power thing, well slightly on the side of Mojo 2 has plenty of power available to drive most headphones and IEM's perfectly fine, for what its worth.

By the numbers:

Mojo 2
  • 90 mW 300 ohms (5.2 V RMS)
  • 600 mW 30 ohms (4.2 V RMS)
Kobo 475

MAXIMUM OUTPUT WITHOUT DISTORTION
Balanced 165mW (with 32 ohm load, 1kHz, THD+N 0.05%)
Unbalanced 45mW (with 32 ohm load, 1kHz, THD+N 0.05%)

So that would eliminate the Kobo 475 as you'd end up with less power?

The Tsuranagi you mention will give you a bit more power, around 800mW

Of course none of this power is really required as others have said the Mojo 2 will in theory get you easily to ear-busting volumes with the Annihilator (sensitivity 94 dB @100mV)

I just tested Mojo 2 with my old Mr Speaker Aeon Flow (95dB sensitivity so similar to your IEM) It for me the level starts getting uncomfortable after double red with white on.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #10,466 of 10,572
Would it be possible to have two amps connected at the same time to the Mojo?

I’m looking to use two different amps, and with my newfound love for the Mojo, hoping to use it as a DAC for both. 😃

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #10,467 of 10,572
Now I understand. :) Good luck with your search. I've not really got any other advice to offer as I'm on the fence about this whole more power thing, well slightly on the side of Mojo 2 has plenty of power available to drive most headphones and IEM's perfectly fine, for what its worth.

By the numbers:

Mojo 2
  • 90 mW 300 ohms (5.2 V RMS)
  • 600 mW 30 ohms (4.2 V RMS)
Kobo 475

MAXIMUM OUTPUT WITHOUT DISTORTION
Balanced 165mW (with 32 ohm load, 1kHz, THD+N 0.05%)
Unbalanced 45mW (with 32 ohm load, 1kHz, THD+N 0.05%)

So that would eliminate the Kobo 475 as you'd end up with less power?

The Tsuranagi you mention will give you a bit more power, around 800mW

Of course none of this power is really required as others have said the Mojo 2 will in theory get you easily to ear-busting volumes with the Annihilator (sensitivity 94 dB @100mV)

I just tested Mojo 2 with my old Mr Speaker Aeon Flow (95dB sensitivity so similar to your IEM) It for me the level starts getting uncomfortable after double red with white on.

From what I can see Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow is a 13ohm impedance headphones.. Anni 23 is 22ohm. On double red\yellow with white the sound is low. I have to push to the double green\blue to get power and depending on the song levels even further. As a comprising, on Monarch MK3's which are reported as 20ohm at 99db sensitivity, I can run double yellow just fine. Also it's probably safe to bet that measurements can largely differ here..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back