Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #10,426 of 10,527
Just got my first Chord product in the mail from the Classifieds. The Mojo 2!

I plan to use as a pre-amp to the Nitsch Pietus Maximus, for my listening station at work.

I can't find anything in the documentation which explains how to set it to line-out, or at least what volume would be good for a preamp.

Any guidance on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #10,427 of 10,527
Just got my first Chord product in the mail from the Classifieds. The Mojo 2!

I plan to use as a pre-amp to the Nitsch Pietus Maximus, for my listening station at work.

I can't find anything in the documentation which explains how to set it to line-out, or at least what volume would be good for a preamp.

Any guidance on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

The chart below gives voltage outputs at the different settings, indigo is pretty well spot on to nominal 2 volts single ended amplifier input voltage.

There is no button combination that sets to a line out voltage like the original Mojo had, you just hold the volume up button down until you have indigo showing. You could of course drop that down a bit if it suited your application better giving the Pietus more volume pot control, or up a bit if the Pietus is OK with a higher input voltage.

Mojo 2 voltage.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #10,428 of 10,527
The chart below gives voltage outputs at the different settings, indigo is pretty well spot on to nominal 2 volts single ended amplifier input voltage.

There is no button combination that sets to a line out voltage like the original Mojo had, you just hold the volume up button down until you have indigo showing. You could of course drop that down a bit if it suited your application better giving the Pietus more volume pot control, or up a bit if the Pietus is OK with a higher input voltage.

Mojo 2 voltage.jpg
That's very helpful! Thanks, friend!

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #10,432 of 10,527

Not sure why Indigo (2V) is underlined in that version of the voltage output chart. While that is a common line-out voltage for other components, the Mojo 2 performs best in the 3V-4.23V range (Violet to Ultra Violet). IIRC the original Mojo had a line-out voltage of 3V, as do many (all?) other Chord DACs. Rob Watts responded somewhere earlier in this thread about why that is.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #10,433 of 10,527
Not sure why Indigo (2V) is underlined in that version of the voltage output chart. While that is a common line-out voltage for other components, the Mojo 2 performs best in the 3V-4.23V range (Violet to Ultra Violet). IIRC the original Mojo had a line-out voltage of 3V, as do many (all?) other Chord DACs. Rob Watts responded somewhere earlier in this thread about why that is.

It is underlined because I underlined it.

I pointed out in words and on the chart what the colour coded volume setting is for a standard single ended 2 volts line out is given that the amplifier in question is a standard single ended design.

The Mojo 2 might very well work technically best at something well above 3 volts but that doesn’t mean the connected amplifier would be happy with, or would perform best at, that voltage.

Also, frankly I doubt anyone could hear the difference in the line out voltage in a properly controlled volume matched blind test despite that it might technically be slightly superior.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #10,434 of 10,527

I pointed out in words and on the chart what the colour coded volume setting is for a standard single ended 2 volts line out is given that the amplifier in question is a standard single ended design.

The Mojo 2 might very well work technically best at something well above 3 volts but that doesn’t mean the connected amplifier would be happy with, or would perform best at, that voltage.

Also, frankly I doubt anyone could hear the difference in the line out voltage in a properly controlled volume matched blind test despite that it might technically be slightly superior.

As you pointed out, some amps can't take more than the 2-2.5V input.

I found that 3V (compared to 2V) does give more gain on amps that accept the increased voltage. This allowed me to use a lower volume range on the amp. Especially with tube amps as the higher volume range makes the PS noise audible.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #10,435 of 10,527
Pretty sure I have it set to 2V, and indeed, it's more than enough for the Pietus Maximus. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Chord_Mojo2_01.jpg

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #10,437 of 10,527
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #10,438 of 10,527

Didn’t realize you had added it. Pick your poison, I suppose, though most amps would be fine with the added voltage. And as I said, the OG Mojo puts out 3V in line out mode. So it’s a like for like setting.

Sound quality aside, for me the additional voltage is absolutely necessary to drive my HE6se v2, even using a fairly powerful amp. It also has the added benefit of giving me headroom and finer volume adjustment with my other headphones on the amp’s low gain mode.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #10,439 of 10,527
Didn’t realize you had added it. Pick your poison, I suppose, though most amps would be fine with the added voltage. And as I said, the OG Mojo puts out 3V in line out mode. So it’s a like for like setting.

Sound quality aside, for me the additional voltage is absolutely necessary to drive my HE6se v2, even using a fairly powerful amp. It also has the added benefit of giving me headroom and finer volume adjustment with my other headphones on the amp’s low gain mode.

Indeed, and that is pretty well exactly what I said in the post above with the chart.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #10,440 of 10,527
Indeed, and that is pretty well exactly what I said in the post above with the chart.
Not really sure why you want to argue. Do whatever works for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back