Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #10,411 of 10,527
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #10,413 of 10,527
There seem to be plenty of replacement battery options for the Mojo 1, but none for the Mojo 2. I hear that they’re the same size but different capacity. I’m just wondering if anyone has replaced the battery on a Mojo 2 themselves and if so, where they got it from.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #10,414 of 10,527
There seem to be plenty of replacement battery options for the Mojo 1, but none for the Mojo 2. I hear that they’re the same size but different capacity. I’m just wondering if anyone has replaced the battery on a Mojo 2 themselves and if so, where they got it from.
Given that the Mojo 2 started shipping only two years ago, I doubt that many owners will have needed to replace the batteries yet.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #10,416 of 10,527
I don't think Optical cable makes a different, just buy a generic one from your local store. Mojo2 handles noisy sources better than M1 in my experience, but if source is bad both of them benefits from optical input.

I have a preference for glass optical versus plastic. A glass optical cable I bought sounded better to my ears than a plastic one made by audioquest.
Thank you both again for your comments. I have been testing out glass optical (first to arrive in post) and so far, so good. Will compare with plastic one when it arrives.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #10,417 of 10,527
Got Intona 7055-C today. It seems to democratize cables a lot. It feels like finally Mojo can show what it's made of with 7xx/32 PGGB files. It was quite amazing already earlier, but there was some kind of instability in sound and with bad cables not only did I have constant blasts of white noise, but also some kind of irritation in ears. Now sound is super clean and got a lot of more depth. Also cables that caused blasts don't seem to do it, at least immediately. Interesting weekend ahead :)
I want to continue on this. It's been quite interesting to study what is affecting what. Intona clearly removes most challenges, but cable after Intona still affects sound, just to lesser degree. I get less white noise blasts with all the cables, but that ear irritation is still present with bad cables. Also, it seems to matter what I use before Intona. My guess is that it has something to do with grounding. When I have laptop on battery, I still get some irritation. That disappears when I connect the power cable and laptop battery is full. When I have battery charging on laptop, I get these problems again. I guess that then power goes through laptops battery and that affects things. I now set things up so that I instead use NUC -> Intona -> Mojo 2 and it's absolute purity. Important also to run Mojo on battery. Attaching Samsung charger adds noise (but no ear irritation).

At this point my careful recommendation would be to use non-battery operated machine before Intona with any short shielded cable and then some "good" cable after Intona. Mojo on battery. Just haven't been able to identify what makes a "good" cable. I was assuming that Belkin 15cm USB-IF certified USB-A - USB B would had given the best results, but that wasn't the case. Currently the best has been a random 50cm micro-usb audiophile cable with ferrite core (that seller gave with Mojo). I also noticed that it's better to keep small distance between computer and Mojo. Didn't test this with NUC that has wifi card detached, but at least laptop did affect Mojo when they were 15cm from each other.

Also please note that all this is assuming 768/32 PGGB. Things seem to become more sensitive when feeding Mojo at maximum supported bitrate.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #10,418 of 10,527
I want to continue on this. It's been quite interesting to study what is affecting what. Intona clearly removes most challenges, but cable after Intona still affects sound, just to lesser degree. I get less white noise blasts with all the cables, but that ear irritation is still present with bad cables. Also, it seems to matter what I use before Intona. My guess is that it has something to do with grounding. When I have laptop on battery, I still get some irritation. That disappears when I connect the power cable and laptop battery is full. When I have battery charging on laptop, I get these problems again. I guess that then power goes through laptops battery and that affects things. I now set things up so that I instead use NUC -> Intona -> Mojo 2 and it's absolute purity. Important also to run Mojo on battery. Attaching Samsung charger adds noise (but no ear irritation).

At this point my careful recommendation would be to use non-battery operated machine before Intona with any short shielded cable and then some "good" cable after Intona. Mojo on battery. Just haven't been able to identify what makes a "good" cable. I was assuming that Belkin 15cm USB-IF certified USB-A - USB B would had given the best results, but that wasn't the case. Currently the best has been a random 50cm micro-usb audiophile cable with ferrite core (that seller gave with Mojo). I also noticed that it's better to keep small distance between computer and Mojo. Didn't test this with NUC that has wifi card detached, but at least laptop did affect Mojo when they were 15cm from each other.

Also please note that all this is assuming 768/32 PGGB. Things seem to become more sensitive when feeding Mojo at maximum supported bitrate.

Hmm, when I was reading about those white noise blast issues, before buying Mojo 2, I was quite worried. But now after a brief month of usage (daily), I havent had any noise blasts or noise whatsoever.

This is with Mojo2 connected as a desktop dac, using some spare usb-c cable that I got with my wooting keyboard-nothing special. The computer is however very high end, and has a special new motherboard optimized for best electrical circuitry (itx small factor, with short pathing) and overclocking, maybe that plays a part. Also the PSU is one of the best quality, that is based on GAN transistors and famous as a best on the market.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #10,419 of 10,527
Hmm, when I was reading about those white noise blast issues, before buying Mojo 2, I was quite worried. But now after a brief month of usage (daily), I havent had any noise blasts or noise whatsoever.

This is with Mojo2 connected as a desktop dac, using some spare usb-c cable that I got with my wooting keyboard-nothing special. The computer is however very high end, and has a special new motherboard optimized for best electrical circuitry (itx small factor, with short pathing) and overclocking, maybe that plays a part. Also the PSU is one of the best quality, that is based on GAN transistors and famous as a best on the market.
You indeed may have been lucky, but also source rate matters. I don't have problems with basic hires either, but problems start at DXD rates and higher. I had white noise problems even with Hugo 2 + 2Go a few times when using 7xx rates from card, especially when changing rates.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #10,421 of 10,527
I have Douk U2 and Kabel Direct. Works well, but as I'm using PGGB, it's not an option due to sample rate / bitrate limitations. It's a really nice reference for what a quiet (no noise from USB) source sounds like with Mojo 2. Silence is blacker than black. That also made me realize how noisy Poly is. I have Intona 7055-C incoming and praying headphone gods that I will get the 98% of the silence of optical and data rates of USB (some internal noise may still be generated within Mojo 2 due to operating with USB).

Something I also noticed: be prepared for perceived smaller soundstage. With optical everything sounded more "in my head" in comparison. However, I have a feeling that I just interpret some high-frequency noise as something that happens at a distance and when that is cut out, space just feels smaller. In terms of purity of sound, optical won hands down.
Thanks Rayon, I have been playing around with laptop > Douk U2 > Mojo 2 via optical and I do know what you mean about the soundstage. It's also crystal clear, almost jarringly so.

Unfortunately, I didn't research the U2 well enough before buying and hadn't realised that a phone would not give enough power via USB for the U2 to function properly. (At least my Samsung S22 Ultra, though others have reported the same with other phones). That's a dealbreaker for me, as beyond the experimentation with cleaner SQ I wanted the conversion to optical for a reasonably portable safeguard against white noise blasts from Mojo 2. I only get white noise when playing from phone (WASAPI exclusive from laptop doesn't produce it ) so will probably return the U2 and overpriced glass optical cable.

For others thinking of trying it out, the U2 Pro is only a few quid more and has its own power supply so should be fine with any input. But obviously less portable that way. Also don't think that you'll be able to swap out the ugly USB cable that comes with it... Have tried about a dozen replacements and it won't read with any of them.

Thanks to all who advised, anyway.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #10,422 of 10,527
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #10,424 of 10,527
The U2 works perfectly on 2 different Xiaomi phones.
Strangely enough on one of them I have to set phone volume buttons to max for it to work and steer volume with the mojo DAC.

Only on xiaomi poco f1 is usb sound hell, a known xiaomi error.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back