Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #9,616 of 10,572
There’s always room for other audio devices……:sweat_smile:
I often go "hot or cold" on my setups.

I bought the Mojo2 and used it quite a bit initially (new toy syndrome). However, I ended up listening to my Naim Uniti HE and Folkvangr setup more. Then I bought the IER Z1R and the Poly. That is my new bedside setup.

Digging out your other gear gives you appreciation for the more expensive stuff, or it refreshes why you bought the other stuff in the first place. :)

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #9,617 of 10,572
I can say that Mojo2 drives the E3 more than just fine on its own. Technically, you can max them out at 118dB, but in practice, you will be getting the most transparency and quality driving the, directly at reasonable listening levels. That said, you may prefer the sound with the added equipment.
Thanks! Definitely not looking to drive them at 100dB+. Also, per my understanding (of both Mojo 2 and E3 specs), Mojo 2 should drive E3 fine. Yet, claims like "it needs 1.5W to drive them properly" still throw me off. (Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied!)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #9,618 of 10,572
Thanks! Definitely not looking to drive them at 100dB+. Also, per my understanding (of both Mojo 2 and E3 specs), Mojo 2 should drive E3 fine. Yet, claims like "it needs 1.5W to drive them properly" still throw me off. (Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied!)
When people say things like "X headphone really needs Y power from an amplifier to be driven properly," what they actually mean (but often don't know) is that X headphones need more current, not more power. As I understand it, planars tend to be current hungry, not power hungry. This is where you'll run into limitations with the Mojo 2. For example, I *can* run my HE6 pair off of the Mojo 2, but they're missing a lot of lower-end weight and emphasis when I do. Not sure about the E3's though, since I've never tried them with it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #9,619 of 10,572
When people say things like "X headphone really needs Y power from an amplifier to be driven properly," what they actually mean (but often don't know) is that X headphones need more current, not more power. As I understand it, planars tend to be current hungry, not power hungry. This is where you'll run into limitations with the Mojo 2. For example, I *can* run my HE6 pair off of the Mojo 2, but they're missing a lot of lower-end weight and emphasis when I do. Not sure about the E3's though, since I've never tried them with it.
What level of current are we looking at to drive a fairly efficient planar like the HEKSE? Chord state 600 mW 30 ohms (4.2 V RMS) so am I right in thinking that's about 143mA?
I'm probably over-simplifying it but it would be good to know a recommended current for different planars to help people out when choosing an amp.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #9,620 of 10,572
What level of current are we looking at to drive a fairly efficient planar like the HEKSE? Chord state 600 mW 30 ohms (4.2 V RMS) so am I right in thinking that's about 143mA?
I'm probably over-simplifying it but it would be good to know a recommended current for different planars to help people out when choosing an amp.
Possibly helpful threads:
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vol...output-impedance-in-planar-headphones.697974/
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amp...headphones-purely-resistive-impedance.760575/
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amps-ability-to-power-a-headphone.734895/

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #9,621 of 10,572

Yes and no. There are power hungry planars (like the HE6) and easy to drive planars (like the Meze Empyrean). Planars tend to present a constant load to the amp.

As long as you stay away from the known power hungry headphones, Mojo2 will power whatever planar you want. I routinely use the Mojo2 with the DCA Stealth. There's plenty of headroom.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #9,622 of 10,572
Yes and no. There are power hungry planars (like the HE6) and easy to drive planars (like the Meze Empyrean). Planars tend to present a constant load to the amp.

As long as you stay away from the known power hungry headphones, Mojo2 will power whatever planar you want. I routinely use the Mojo2 with the DCA Stealth. There's plenty of headroom.
By "plenty of headroom" do you mean just raw SPL/gain, or are you talking about until audible distortion, roll off, etc. begins? Because I get far more than enough gain (i.e. "headroom") from the Mojo 2 for my HE6's, but I still wouldn't want to listen to them on it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #9,623 of 10,572
If a headphone needs .25 w at 90db then it would need 2w power to be able to handle 9db peaks when averaging 90db. There are also factors of being able to sustain the output vs being able to handle a short peak, how fast the amplifier can handle large voltage changes etc.

My understanding is that the E3 is pretty just below .25w at 90 db so realistic average volume on a mojo2 would be around 85db with moderate peaks and probably closer to 80db if the music has large peaks.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #9,624 of 10,572
If a headphone needs .25 w at 90db then it would need 2w power to be able to handle 9db peaks when averaging 90db. There are also factors of being able to sustain the output vs being able to handle a short peak, how fast the amplifier can handle large voltage changes etc.

My understanding is that the E3 is pretty just below .25w at 90 db so realistic average volume on a mojo2 would be around 85db with moderate peaks and probably closer to 80db if the music has large peaks.
Ok, let’s use some real examples. I’m driving E3 from Mojo2 on double orange (about 0.12V) which I measure as about 78-80dB on modern music. From that, Mojo2 driving E3 could exceed 95dB no problem. A power calculator though will tell you 631 mW and 4.1275V into 27 ohms at 90dB/mW efficiency will give you 118 dB. Real world it may be lower than 118, but even at 95+ it is plenty without ear damage. E.g, the famous Max Richter Cradle to the Grave track is plenty loud and undistorted.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #9,625 of 10,572
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #9,626 of 10,572
Hey guys, I'd like to ask you one question.

- Which DAP(s) have equal to the Mojo 2 sound quality? Can you, please, name a few?

Thank you

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #9,627 of 10,572
By "plenty of headroom" do you mean just raw SPL/gain, or are you talking about until audible distortion, roll off, etc. begins? Because I get far more than enough gain (i.e. "headroom") from the Mojo 2 for my HE6's, but I still wouldn't want to listen to them on it.

I can continue to increase volume to hearing damage levels. 😄

I've never gotten the Stealths to distort. I cranked up the 20hz and 125hz bass shelf on the Mojo2 for kicks. Then I played EDM. Loud and glorious bass.

I don't know about the HE6. I'm not a HIFiman fan. I do know they are truly harder to drive planars. Like the the HE5 and Susvara. From what I read, you probably wouldn't be satisfied with just a Mojo2.

All the DCA headphones do well with the Mojo2. Diana V2 does well. I don't have any Audeze headphones any more, but the easier to drive ones may be good.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #9,628 of 10,572

Again, not that simple. But it's an okay guideline to follow.

I don't think many people are going to run the E3 off the Mojo2 as their only setup. But you can if you want with good results.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #9,630 of 10,572
Strange thing. I just switched my M2 on, it went through a boot up sequence but it was different to what it normally does ... . Once the boot up finishes the two middle buttons (power up and down) light up as normal but the left hand indicator (volume range) stays unlit, regardless of volume. No output/sound.

I have re-set the device to factory as in the manual.

It worked fine earlier today.

Anyone have any ideas? Short vid of the boot-up coming up ... it's not a riveting watch!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back