Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 16, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #41,806 of 42,765
Yes, I actually bought it for a laptop DAC.
I am still getting accustomed to its presentation. I am mostly an IEM user.
I'd say it is more oriented on the lower mids/bass region from a first impression.
From this, I would predict that it must be more suited for more neutrally set multi-BA IEMs rather than warm-sounding DD ones.
Do you have any opinion regarding best IEM match for the MOJO?
No. I replaced the USB cable and the sound signature and detail retrieval changed.
It seems my previous cable was of low quality or damaged for some reason.
Now more forward and extended highs than before as well as the whole presentation.
Much better now. Also the soundstage is not quite intimate.
Ignore my previous posts about my perceived Mojo SQ as they were misguided.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #41,807 of 42,765
I've tested Mojo today over an optical input and there is an improvement over USB. Sound is a bit more fuller and rounded and there is in general a bit more meat on notes. However differences are very minor and if you need to use USB get a quality or at least shortest USB cable. When Mojo is used with long, poor quality USB sound is thinner and edgier up top. Mojo like it's bigger brother Qutest is prone to Jitter from noisy sources like laptop. I've done comparison against my desktop equipment and was pleasantly surprised with Mojo. Not as critical listening during daytime use, but to my ears mojo punches 80-85% of desktop performance at least.

Attachments

• tempImage4ogt0o.png
    tempImage4ogt0o.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #41,808 of 42,765
I've tested Mojo today over an optical input and there is an improvement over USB. Sound is a bit more fuller and rounded and there is in general a bit more meat on notes. However differences are very minor and if you need to use USB get a quality or at least shortest USB cable. When Mojo is used with long, poor quality USB sound is thinner and edgier up top. Mojo like it's bigger brother Qutest is prone to Jitter from noisy sources like laptop. I've done comparison against my desktop equipment and was pleasantly surprised with Mojo. Not as critical listening during daytime use, but to my ears mojo punches 80-85% of desktop performance at least.
Errrr ... not exactly!
Mojo (as well as other Chord DACs) are virtually jitter free, don't take my word for it, just read any review with measurements you can find on the net.
This lack of jitter is partly one of the major reasons why they sound so good.
Mojo alone (not the rest of Chord family) does not have siolation on its USB input. That is because proper isolation uses power, and battery power is at premium for a Mobile device, so it was decided against.
That makes Mojo prone to RFI , though I personally never have experienced any, but others have.
RFI on USB input messes with Mojo.
Now Optical input by default is isolated! so in a NOISY environment it will sound better than USB.
Remember, people swear by sound quality of Mojo-Poly combo. Poly connects to Mojo through USB input!
A short USB cable, could in theory put Mojo close to a noisy phone, and magnify RFI.
I reckon a shielded quality USB cable of 50/100 cm with a ferrite core at DAC end to be the best solution for USB input.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #41,810 of 42,765
Just curious, I've seen companies selling dual 3.5 mm (male) - 4.4 mm (female) adapters and cables, basically using both 3m5 outputs. I know you can't turn SE to Balanced that way, but does it have any effect on power output or anything ?

I currently just use ddhifi's 3.5 to 4.4 adapter for my stuff with 4.4...

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #41,811 of 42,765
Just to add something about my findings, I have just recently moved on from USB connection with Mojo directly from my Iphone 6S using custom 20cm Lightning to Micro USB cable. They sound decent at best but mainly its quite neutral, flat soundstage and imaging and above average separation but nothing special given my other gears already great performances. Vocal at times can be perceived as quite harsh.

Later after few years, I pulled out DX200 and use its SPDIF output connecting them to Coax input of Mojo. The result was superb and I cant go back
to using USB connection again. It even outputs DSD64 natively( white orb appeared). Making them sounds more richer, black background is more blacker, separation bested my DX200(surprisingly) and much more 3 Dimensional sound. Oh, the dynamic especially macrodynamic also improve a lot compared to the USB input. It makes most of my IEMs and headphone sounds floated and disappeared from the system. A complete transparency I suppose. I’m not sure what sorcery is with Coax input with Mojo but it surely much better than my experience with any USB connection I had in the past. IIRC, I have been quite unhappy with Mojo for so many years especially for its retail price but Coax input totally changed my mind. My mind is blown right now with the surprising result. YMMV

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #41,812 of 42,765
Just curious, I've seen companies selling dual 3.5 mm (male) - 4.4 mm (female) adapters and cables, basically using both 3m5 outputs. I know you can't turn SE to Balanced that way, but does it have any effect on power output or anything ?

I currently just use ddhifi's 3.5 to 4.4 adapter for my stuff with 4.4...
No, it will not make any difference.
The two output sockets on a Mojo are wired in parallel.
Mojo by design is single ended.
Mojo does not have two outputs/two amps , it just has two sockets connected to the same amp/output point.
Think of it as one of those dollar-shop Y adaptors with a male 3.5mm jack into two 3.5mm sockets.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #41,813 of 42,765
Hey guys.
Should I use the USB 3.0 PC port to connect to the Mojo instead or it doesn't make any difference?
Also, anybody with any usb cable recommendations?
Thanx
USB 3 socket on a computer, detects if a USB 2 device is connected - so it goes into USB 2 mode.
The actual plug and socket are also wired differently, so it will make no difference.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #41,815 of 42,765
I understand.
What about different cables?
Are there any specialized audio ones?
Just a standard USB cable.
If it is shielded or screened, the better.
Don't know, and don't care about audiophile ones, just saying that as disclosure, so I am the wrong person to ask.
I make my own interconnect cables.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #41,816 of 42,765
Does anyone tried powering active studio monitors with mojo ? I think it should push performance further than my macbooks dac

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #41,818 of 42,765
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #41,819 of 42,765
Yes, I actually bought it for a laptop DAC.
I am still getting accustomed to its presentation. I am mostly an IEM user.
I'd say it is more oriented on the lower mids/bass region from a first impression.
From this, I would predict that it must be more suited for more neutrally set multi-BA IEMs rather than warm-sounding DD ones.
Do you have any opinion regarding best IEM match for the MOJO?

Need to know your preferences, the Mojo is an excellent source for IEMs, I'd just consider the character of the Mojo when chosing the IEM for you.

The character of the Mojo puts the mids in the spotlight. Rich, smooth, expressive, detailed.
Bass is full sounding and more mid bass focused, here the Hugo 2 has quite a bit more extension and definition. Mojo is more fun and relaxing.
Treble is a bit like bass, a little relaxed and shimmery rather than the extended, sparkly and aggressive.

Personally I really like the Sony IER-M9 with the Mojo, very versatile. The Moondrop Variations is also very good, especially for the money, but only if you are ok with the visceral low bass and some thinner, slightly recessed mids. Those two are the ones I have ended up after a couple of years of search.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #41,820 of 42,765
Need to know your preferences, the Mojo is an excellent source for IEMs, I'd just consider the character of the Mojo when chosing the IEM for you.

The character of the Mojo puts the mids in the spotlight. Rich, smooth, expressive, detailed.
Bass is full sounding and more mid bass focused, here the Hugo 2 has quite a bit more extension and definition. Mojo is more fun and relaxing.
Treble is a bit like bass, a little relaxed and shimmery rather than the extended, sparkly and aggressive.

Personally I really like the Sony IER-M9 with the Mojo, very versatile. The Moondrop Variations is also very good, especially for the money, but only if you are ok with the visceral low bass and some thinner, slightly recessed mids. Those two are the ones I have ended up after a couple of years of search.
Thank you for the reply.
I do get your remark about the richness of the mids.
I've been experimenting with my 4-BA IEMs for the time being (Shure SE846 & Mackie MP-460).
The sound is truly awesome.
I own also the single DD Senn IE400 PRO which I look forward to listening to with the Mojo.
As for your recommendations, I was thinking about the Moondrop Blessing 2 as a candidate for a new purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back