Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 29, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #40,306 of 42,765
I'm planning a DAC upgrade to my Mojo, for a desktop-only, headphones-only setup. The obvious choice would be the Chord Qutest. However, even used, the Qutest is not cheap. What DAC, do you reckon, would be a reasonable upgrade for the Mojo and would not go beyond the £800 threshold? I am considering the Topping D90 but not sure if it is the right way to go.

May 29, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #40,307 of 42,765
I'm planning a DAC upgrade to my Mojo, for a desktop-only, headphones-only setup. The obvious choice would be the Chord Qutest. However, even used, the Qutest is not cheap. What DAC, do you reckon, would be a reasonable upgrade for the Mojo and would not go beyond the £800 threshold? I am considering the Topping D90 but not sure if it is the right way to go.
What is your preferred sound signature? Also your headphone and Amp? Without knowing these any suggestions would be futile

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #40,308 of 42,765
What is your preferred sound signature? Also your headphone and Amp? Without knowing these any suggestions would be futile

The sound I prefer, I think, can be described as analytical, with a hint of warmth.
The music I listed to the most is Orchestral and Opera and also the likes of Ren Harvieu, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton.
Every now and then, I also listen to punchy electronics or even metal, but I'd rather fine-tune my hifi setup to classics than tehno and metal.

The best headphones I've listened to are: HD800s, the HEDD headphone (the one I listened to was a pre-prod prototype) and Fostex TH900 Mk2. I have yet to find a planar or especially electrostat that I like, though Audeze LCD-4 came really close.

The best DACs / amps I've listened to are:
1) The best system by a mile that I've ever listened to: Hugo TT 2 + M-scaler + Fostex TH900 Mk2. It was like an angel whispering in my ear. Right next to it, there was the Dave. I unplugged the TH900 from the TT and plugged them into the Dave and it was not nearly as magical. Btw, I dound the sound of the Dave similar to that of dCS Bartók - smooth as silk, pure as a baby's tear but not engaging.

2) the HEDD headphone (a pre-prod prototype) with Hugo 2. Also tried it Mytek Brooklyn, which was close but not as good as the Hugo 2 to my ear. That headphone is a game changer, a miracle.

3) The HD800s with Chord Mojo. The two together get on like house on fire, despite the HD800s being picky about its amplification. I bought my Mojo the day after listening to this combination. But my Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart is just not on the same level as the HD800s.

I will buy an HD800s soon.

May 29, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #40,309 of 42,765

Why do you feel you need an “upgrade”? Listen and see if the new dac is really better. (Probably not.)

May 30, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #40,312 of 42,765
Who else is hearing a loss of bass impact, if you have music playing on an iPad or laptop, and you change programs or browser tabs? Is there an explanation for this?
Generally I use Audirvana or Roon as Music player and never noticed it. Audirvana has a setting to give it highest priority to avoid such issues. What player are you using?

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #40,313 of 42,765
Generally I use Audirvana or Roon as Music player and never noticed it. Audirvana has a setting to give it highest priority to avoid such issues. What player are you using?
I'm using 320 kbps mp3's from streaming sites zk.fm and ru-music.com, and this is where I hear loss of bass impact when I change to other tabs or applications.

May 30, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #40,315 of 42,765
Oh wait nevermind, it's the specific new album that I was listening to that didn't have much bass in it to begin with. The transparency of the Mojo is definitely tricky sometimes!

Seems to me like the album would come across with weak bass regardless of the DAC used...

May 30, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #40,316 of 42,765
Seems to me like the album would come across with weak bass regardless of the DAC used...
The bass is actually more consistent with my iPad DAC, I always know what to expect, it's always at the same general level.

However because the Mojo is so transparent, the bass can get weak or very punchy depending upon the recording, so when you hear a new album, which the artist always had strong bass in in his previous albums, you expect to also hear that strong bass, but turned it out this album was recorded with weak bass.

To clarify on my previous posts; yes, the bass does get slightly weaker when I change tabs or applications when listening through my browser, but it's minor and it just shows how transparent the Mojo is. So when you listen to an album that's bass light, and it gets slightly lighter when you change tabs, you start to wonder if it's the DACs fault.

May 30, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #40,317 of 42,765

I think you should be very happy with the D90. Also consider Denafrips Ares 2 and Gustard A22. Any of these with a good headphone amplifier should be a very noticeable step forward from the Mojo.

May 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #40,320 of 42,765
123.jpg
Just got mine today. Sounds a bit dark with my Elear tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back