Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #40,276 of 42,765
Hi @dpastern, could I ask you what your impressions were on the build of the Chord C-Lite? I recently ordered an AudioQuest Forest OptiLink and I was surprised at how incredibly thin it is. It's going back. It just doesn't have the right feel / durability for the price point.

The cable feels well built to me - solid and looks well built. I don't have any other optical cables to compare it to. It's prolly 8-9mm thick at a guess does coil but doesn't kink. I wouldn't call it thin.

On a side note, is there some kinda pro tip on how to insert the optical cable into the Mojo unit? The optical door is horrible imho. I'm concerned at damaging the optical fibre end trying to get the damn cable door open so I can plug the damn cable in...stupid design.

May 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #40,277 of 42,765
I have been using the Mojo for the past three weeks and love the sound. The past few days I've noticed with any movement, whichever device is plugged in will be paused. I was sitting listening and touched the usb and it stopped the music so I know it's the connection. Is there any solution? Is this a common issue with the mojo? I have a week to make an exchange if needed, but would love to make it work.

May 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #40,278 of 42,765
I have been using the Mojo for the past three weeks and love the sound. The past few days I've noticed with any movement, whichever device is plugged in will be paused. I was sitting listening and touched the usb and it stopped the music so I know it's the connection. Is there any solution? Is this a common issue with the mojo? I have a week to make an exchange if needed, but would love to make it work.
Mojo doesn't have the ability to pause the player. But some players (like usb player pro) do pause if the connection is lost. First, I'd check with a different cable, a different cellphone and if the problem persists, send it back because there era no user serviceable parts inside Mojo (besides a battery change). Regards.

May 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #40,279 of 42,765
Mojo doesn't have the ability to pause the player. But some players (like usb player pro) do pause if the connection is lost. First, I'd check with a different cable, a different cellphone and if the problem persists, send it back because there era no user serviceable parts inside Mojo (besides a battery change). Regards.

Thanks for tip. I’m hoping it’s the cable because it worked fine for two weeks.

May 21, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #40,280 of 42,765

If that’s the stock cable, it’s poorly constructed and prone to that. I use a better built 3rd party USB cable which never gave problems

May 21, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #40,283 of 42,765
It has to be the cable. I just did another experiment while charging. If I moved the mojo the charge would stop and show the battery level indicator. Thanks for the help.

You’re welcome
I use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon BTW. Costly but durable connectors

1648C51B-83AB-480E-AAD5-45635867BE43.jpeg

May 21, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #40,284 of 42,765
People often asking on advice for file players to attach to Mojo. I was looking at the new FiiO M9, and it has USB to external DAC, and coaxial out. Plus it can support up to 2TB cards.

EDIT: Sorry I said optical out originally, and than decided to double check. It does USB and coaxial out.

Talking about using USB, I put a Jitterbug between my DAP and Mojo/Hugo 2. Hugo 2 input is supposed to be filtered but I leave the Jitterbug there.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #40,285 of 42,765
Hey guys. I don't check this legendary thread anymore, but I found a interesting Mojo comment so I thought I post. I have no energy for this hobby anymore so this will be my last post. Hope to see you in the Hugo3 and Mojo2 threads. Will not be checking this thread ever again (moved to legacy), so please refrain from replying.

I'm in the finding leaks in the game, enjoying the music final phase. I'm considering powering my digital source directly instead of via PC while still being portable, so stumbled upon this Mojo comment. Reminder, 98% of the optical sources out there sound like TV out optical. You need the right optical chip and implementation to do things right.

On my digital source + Hugo2, I get 'Mini-DAVE' vibes sometimes. I know it's a reach / stretch, but then I see comments like this comparing a Mojo with a $6000 DAC. Using this digital source + Mojo + only neutral done right CIEM ever is a treat:

r4.png

mojodigi.png

I'm mostly doing redbook extraction from SACD these days because the top mastering engineers work on SACDs only. DSD is a flawed tech and the Chord DACs expose this flaw heavily, so redbook is a workaround:

11239149.png

Best of luck guys.

This is a copy and paste from another thread if I have not posted here already:

Of course a special thanks to Phuca whom inspired the idea.

Pros:

• I can actually listen to RBCDs now. RW was right all along about RBCD.
  • PrAT. The music slows down a bit, takes a deep breathe and then just performs at such a amazing beautiful pace. I cannot live without this Pro now. It's like a completely different Chord device.
  • I can control UI wirelessly with almost zero lag / latency even with an Apple Watch or IR Remote Control which is a great option for portability.
  • Separation of duties and true Plug-and-Play. Any iOS updates will not cause issues with SQ or connectivity issues. The back-end handles the processing and the playback. The front-end only handles the UI. So no silly re-sampling via iOS or an iOS app. I'm using Lifatec glass optical so I can swap between Hugo2 and Mojo with no issues, it's just an optical source like a TV/PS4/Mac optical out; but with an audiophile-grade implemention of a WM8804 optical decoder.
  • It takes away the warmth of the Mojo. Since I'm using a neutral CIEM monitor. The combo of an ground loop-free, noise floor-free and rfi/rf noise-free and neutral monitor turns the Mojo into a neutral device. No warmness at all. It makes sense since Mojo measures flat but very sensitive to it's environment (USB and RF noise) which may contribute to this warmness. Those environmental concerns are completely eliminated by going battery-power and optical.
  • I need a battery pack.
  • No USB involvement. PCM data from CPU travels via i2S audio bus to WM8804 optical decoder to Lifatec glass optical. It's pure SQ at it's finest. Optical gives the Chord devices better depth for a more 3D sound vs just wide. RW is a depth fanatic and I'm trying to learn to become one too.
  • I'm no longer looking at uber-expensive exaggerated TOTL CIEMs. I'm focusing on neutral flat accurate CIEM monitors only as I'm running the most neutral, accurate, resolute and transparent transportable (Hugo2) along with the most neutral cable (SilverFi R4) one can procure. Neutral and accurate plays well through different time periods, while exaggerated FOTM comes and go. It doesn't make sense to me using an exaggerated transducer when everything in the chain measures flat. This can change tho as having a complete flat neutral foundation allows you to optimise the CIEM whether flat or exaggerated.
  • The music file plays via RAM not SD card. RAM > SD card for music playback.
  • It runs the same back-end / playback software as the highest-end of music streamers.
Cons:

• I have to extract SACD redbook layer now instead of DSD stuff. I try to run everything PCM now.
  • I need a battery pack.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #40,286 of 42,765
I can't say I understand what the above post is saying but let's face it, the Mojo is a gateway drug!

I started with the Mojo and was so impressed with it that I got a Hugo TT at the time. Then on to what I currently own, the Hugo TT 2, M Scaler, along with the Hugo 2 :gs1000smile:

May 21, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #40,287 of 42,765
I can't say I understand what the above post is saying but let's face it, the Mojo is a gateway drug!

I started with the Mojo and was so impressed with it that I got a Hugo TT at the time. Then on to what I currently own, the Hugo TT 2, M Scaler, along with the Hugo 2 :gs1000smile:

Yeah I didn't understand @AC-12 post above. Shame because the idea I got about what the topic was meant to be, looked interesting. Then I just got lost.

Am only an M-Scaler behind you, but I have a Qutest too.

May 21, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #40,288 of 42,765
Yeah I didn't understand @AC-12 post above. Shame because the idea I got about what the topic was meant to be, looked interesting. Then I just got lost.

Am only an M-Scaler behind you, but I have a Qutest too.

I think he is saying Mojo is really good. I have a TT2 and it’s great with my speakers (Omega SAMs) as well as headphones for when the family demands I be quiet. But when not in my “office” upstairs with the TT2, I am using the Mojo (+Poly) with the DCA A2C headphones and it is simply.freaking.awesome. Could be anyone’s endgame setup, with full portability.

May 21, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #40,289 of 42,765
I think he is saying Mojo is really good. I have a TT2 and it’s great with my speakers (Omega SAMs) as well as headphones for when the family demands I be quiet. But when not in my “office” upstairs with the TT2, I am using the Mojo (+Poly) with the DCA A2C headphones and it is simply.freaking.awesome. Could be anyone’s endgame setup, with full portability.

Yeah I really wish I had the push to get a Poly. For now I would only use SD-card playback so it's an expensive option. I use Hugo 2 when away from TT2, but I still wish I had SD card playback for Mojo. I use a DAP for either Hugo 2 or Mojo.

With having Hugo 2, it sort of makes Mojo redundant for about the home. Sometimes though, Hugo 2 is flat or sometimes I just sit down with Mojo. I have even listened to Mojo while it was sat on top of my TT2. I am emotionally connected to it, because of the way it night and day changed how I listened to music.

I would like Poly also though to be able to use Mojo/poly for out of home. My DAP is OK, but Mojo flattens it.

May 22, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #40,290 of 42,765

That’s so true that Mojo is a gateway drug
Although I took a separate path then yours but have kept Mojo with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back