Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #33,481 of 42,765
As others have pointed out, the Oppo doesn't have an analog in so you can't use it as a headphone amp.

FWIW, I also strongly agree and have stated in the past on this thread that the optical output is fantastic as a source and is really clean and musical sounding with no harshness to speak of.

You nailed it. By comparison the iPhone lightning to Mojo mini USB sounds bright and slightly artificial. In the end more fatiguing. And the iMac sounds worse.

Yourmomm, we're not saying that optical is better than USB. I'm saying the Oppo is the best sounding transport I've plugged my Mojo into. And it happens to be optical.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #33,482 of 42,765
Thanks all, for clearing that up. Oppo have clearly missed a trick...perhaps they don't want to admit that their (what I used to think was a damned fine DAC for the money) is beaten hands down by this little box of magic. I'll get me a decent optical cable and see what I can do with it, instead...

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #33,483 of 42,765
Honestly, i was thinking what is the hype with mojo, my alienware r3 2017 outputs sound really good and I was using bose qc35 before. Then i recently bought the hdvd800, hd800s and chord mojo, still I was feeling like that king who had no clothes but others said great dress. i was contemplating keeping my hdvd800 and selling mojo. To train myself I have been listening to the same 5 songs for a week training my ear to pick up nuances. it was only when I paired mojo with hd8vd800 that my 'wow' moment kicked in so I have decided to keep all 3. Also, i was planning to sell my very old z5500 speakers but now seeing the what a good dac can do, i am planning to connect mojo to the z5500 to see how much it improves. I agree with the veterans and above that something is happening that is making my system sound very very good when i do line out vs just plain mojo.
Thank you for sticking with it and allowing time for your ears and brain to adjust ...... this is one journey you have taken that you'll ever want to retrace your steps

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #33,488 of 42,765
Finally got round to getting my Mojo. Had to part ways with my HA-1. Is there a universally acknowledged best USB cable to connect the Mojo with laptop?

Yes - optical S/PDIF.

OK, that doesn’t answer your question with regards to USB. Quite frankly there are too many variables. A lot depends on how electrically noisy your laptop is. Even the “best” USB cables might not do much to get rid of that problem, whereas optical will (assuming you have an optical out on your laptop).

Basically buying USB cables is a crap shoot, but I will say this: don’t buy a dirt cheap Poundland special cable, and equally don’t buy a £100 cable. Just get a well constructed cable for around £10 to £20.

However I would also suggest looking at optical if your laptop has an optical out - often the standard HP jack functions as an optical out with a 3.5mm S/PDIF optical adapter. Many people, myself included, think that the Mojo sounds best this way.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #33,489 of 42,765
Yes - optical S/PDIF.

OK, that doesn’t answer your question with regards to USB. Quite frankly there are too many variables. A lot depends on how electrically noisy your laptop is. Even the “best” USB cables might not do much to get rid of that problem, whereas optical will (assuming you have an optical out on your laptop).

Basically buying USB cables is a crap shoot, but I will say this: don’t buy a dirt cheap Poundland special cable, and equally don’t buy a £100 cable. Just get a well constructed cable for around £10 to £20.

However I would also suggest looking at optical if your laptop has an optical out - often the standard HP jack functions as an optical out with a 3.5mm S/PDIF optical adapter. Many people, myself included, think that the Mojo sounds best this way.
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE. Just tried googling whether the headphone jack doubles up as there is no optical out. But not a lot coming up on my search.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #33,490 of 42,765
I'm new to the Mojo club here. Just picked up a new condition - used one. I also got my first 128DSD album from Native DSD (Beethoven's 5 & 7). I'm listening with KS through Foobar on Windows 10 pro, via USB out of a Lenovo Thinkpad with my Beyer DT150s.

I'm very impressed with the detail of the highs, especially the brass and woodwind instruments. Though that said, at least on this recording the bass is very full and rich (though not heavy). Wow, I'm hearing breathing (of the conductor?), and the instruments sound so real. The sound is lean, relative to these headphones, but not anemic. On full passages the sound is quite wide and well imaged. I'm not sure if I'm just hearing a great recording or a great dac, but either way, my previous dacs couldn't do native DSD, so I feel like this is a bonus.

The DSD sounds so good I would hate to miss out on that by using only an optical connection, but that said, if it's even more analogue sounding, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to trying to find a USB-Optical converter of some sort.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #33,491 of 42,765
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE. Just tried googling whether the headphone jack doubles up as there is no optical out. But not a lot coming up on my search.

According to this - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19321645 it doesn’t, unfortunately. That’s not totally conclusive though.

However my advice still stands with regards to USB cables. However if you’re passing a bargain basement outfit, and they’ve got dirt cheap USB cables then you could do worse than to give one a try - not much to lose.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #33,492 of 42,765
Anyone tried the mojo with a Schiit Eitr yet?

My Eitr is Arriving today If I have the time I will test it out tonight And let you know.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #33,494 of 42,765
That Would be great, take your time, have not heard from anyone Who used it with mojo so :)

That's USB to Co Ax rather than optical isn't it? (Not a problem, coax is my favoured connection)

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #33,495 of 42,765
I'm new to the Mojo club here. Just picked up a new condition - used one. I also got my first 128DSD album from Native DSD (Beethoven's 5 & 7). I'm listening with KS through Foobar on Windows 10 pro, via USB out of a Lenovo Thinkpad with my Beyer DT150s.

I'm very impressed with the detail of the highs, especially the brass and woodwind instruments. Though that said, at least on this recording the bass is very full and rich (though not heavy). Wow, I'm hearing breathing (of the conductor?), and the instruments sound so real. The sound is lean, relative to these headphones, but not anemic. On full passages the sound is quite wide and well imaged. I'm not sure if I'm just hearing a great recording or a great dac, but either way, my previous dacs couldn't do native DSD, so I feel like this is a bonus.

The DSD sounds so good I would hate to miss out on that by using only an optical connection, but that said, if it's even more analogue sounding, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to trying to find a USB-Optical converter of some sort.

I've never used Foobar but I imagine it would output DSD over optical as DoP. DSD over PCM (DoP) basically packs the DSD stream into 24/88.2 PCM. There is no difference in sound. Not to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back