Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #33,361 of 42,765
I think the android issues may be fit to the cable, I've ordered the meenova c-b cable, the reviews state it works with dacs so we shall see.

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #33,363 of 42,765
You know you're a Mojo fan when the first link that shows up in Firefox when you type the letter M is this thread. :L3000::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Has anyone tried the Schiit Eitr with mojo? Impressions?

I'm mildly curious about it, but since it's $179 and only outputs coaxial, I probably won't try it. I've read Rob Watts' posts about how TOSLINK sounded better to him than coaxial for the Hugo. (And I think the Mojo too.) I already use TOSLINK via a Behringer UCA202 audio interface that only cost $30. (Though this particular device can't output anything past 24-bit / 48 kHz, but this isn't an issue for me since nearly all my music is 16-bit / 44.1 kHz.)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #33,364 of 42,765
The Meenova lightning-usb cable works perfectly with iOS 10.2.1 (it's cheap too), I'd really like to know if it works with the iOS 11 beta (anyone?), but I'll just wait and see on that.

If this doesn't get resolved soon I'll probably end up buying a cheap DAP, can anyone recommend one that takes 2 microSD cards and also does optical out?

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #33,365 of 42,765
The Meenova lightning-usb cable works perfectly with iOS 10.2.1 (it's cheap too), I'd really like to know if it works with the iOS 11 beta (anyone?), but I'll just wait and see on that.

If this doesn't get resolved soon I'll probably end up buying a cheap DAP, can anyone recommend one that takes 2 microSD cards and also does optical out?
Half the problem is that so many people had updated to 10.3.x before they discovered the issues.

I don't think many cheap DAPs do optical out, but I could be wrong.
Why not wait a couple of weeks for the Poly to ship, and that can take 2Tb cards, and there is no need for the optical connection.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #33,366 of 42,765
Half the problem is that so many people had updated to 10.3.x before they discovered the issues.

Why not wait a couple of weeks for the Poly to ship, and that can take 2Tb cards, and there is no need for the optical connection.
Ok i have a mojo and was wondering if there's a popular osrticulst

Most definitely! Opus1 has 2 slots and optical out and if you check reviews, pinkypowers and glassmonkeys and the thread you will see most think it's a fantastic dap in its own right.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #33,367 of 42,765
Ok i have a mojo and was wondering if there's a popular osrticulst You have lost me there. Even google has never heard of osrticulst

Most definitely! Opus1 has 2 slots and optical out and if you check reviews, pinkypowers and glassmonkeys and the thread you will see most think it's a fantastic dap in its own right.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #33,368 of 42,765

I wasn't aware that 2tb Micro SD cards even existed! I'd imagine they're pretty expensive...
I'm not interested in Poly for a few reasons:
1. It's £500. I'm not saying this is bad value, but I just want a DAP, I'd be paying for a load of functions I'd never use.
2. As a DAP it requires an iPhone to work. All the digital devices I've ever used have at some point suffered from connection problems when they need to talk to each other, and I have a hard time believing that Poly will be rock solid with regards to this 100% of the time (I'd love to be proved wrong on this). Since iPhones running 10.3.x have problems talking to a Mojo using a cable, it's a bit worrying that Poly is so reliant on Apple stuff playing nice. (Yes 'get an Android' I know).
3. Unlike a DAP, Poly seems like it will only work with Mojo, which right now I'm fine with, but god knows what fancy DACs I may want to try over the next few years.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #33,369 of 42,765
"Portable Source Gear" forum.

Thanks. I might try that.

However I am becoming resigned to thinking that the LG G5 SE will not support OTG. (I have bought an OTG cable to test out the Mojo and G5 SE. In a shop if the opportunity arises.)

I re-contacted LG and queried why so many reviews said the G5 SE does support OTG, but they said not. .... They explained that initially it did, but it was not stable so they removed OTG support later. Adding that if they fix it, an update will be applied. (I couldn't help thinking that they were prodding me toward a more expensive model, like the normal G5. Only because that's what so many companies do.) ... Anyway the LG G5 SE that I have bought is new and still boxed and sealed, so it can be returned.

It's a shame because the G5 SE has a removable battery. Also I bought the LG Hi-Fi Plus (add-on-DAC) module, for when not using the Mojo.

However all is not lost, and I may find a solution. ... I have made a discovery with the website 'gsmarena'. They actually state if a phone supports OTG in their specs listing. Like one phone I looked at, e.g actually says: USB microUSB 2.0, USB Host. This is for a phone called a CAT S40. http://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s40-7456.php

I found the S40 by looking on Carphone Warehouse. I started looking for cheaper phones to try find one with a usable camera. As soon as I saw: CAT-phones, and an Archos 50 Saphir 4G, and wanted one instantly. This is what I want a phone to be like: an appearance derived from being designed tough and sturdy. .... I never liked the look of normal smart-phones, because they just look flash. It's one reason why I have staunchly held off ever wanting to by one. .... However the CAT S40 and the Archos 50 Saphir 4G don't review so well. The Archos phone has a camera that even at 13MP takes dark and blurry pictures.

Back to square one looking for a phone, camera, file transport. At least I know what I am looking for now though.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #33,370 of 42,765
I wasn't aware that 2tb Micro SD cards even existed! I'd imagine they're pretty expensive...Yes i have yet to see any advertised, but give it a few years. I bought 200Gb cards when they were on sale, and have only managed to fill a few GB so far.
I'm not interested in Poly for a few reasons:
1. It's £500. I'm not saying this is bad value, but I just want a DAP, I'd be paying for a load of functions I'd never use. Yes but majo123 has suggested a DAP which costs £429, which isn't much cheaper.
2. As a DAP it requires an iPhone to work. All the digital devices I've ever used have at some point suffered from connection problems when they need to talk to each other, and I have a hard time believing that Poly will be rock solid with regards to this 100% of the time (I'd love to be proved wrong on this). Since iPhones running 10.3.x have problems talking to a Mojo using a cable, it's a bit worrying that Poly is so reliant on Apple stuff playing nice. (Yes 'get an Android' I know).
3. Unlike a DAP, Poly seems like it will only work with Mojo, which right now I'm fine with, but god knows what fancy DACs I may want to try over the next few years. This question was asked a few days ago, and it seems like the Poly will work with other DACs if you use a USB cable.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #33,372 of 42,765
Hmmm, John Franks in the Poly thread: "Because at present Poly can only be switched on by being connected to a Mojo that is switched on."
In January the Poly design could operate in standalone mode. The statement a few days ago was more ambiguous - 'at present' infers that a future software update could change the situation.
I will be disappointed if the Poly can no longer also work with the Hugo 2. Luckily I already have the Shanling M1, which does work with the Hugo 2.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #33,373 of 42,765
Is the Mojo always safe to turn on and off when connected to a turned on power amp and passive speakers?

I got that power amp today. It's larger than I expected and can output up to 750 watts. When I turn the Mojo off with my active speakers connected and turned on, it makes a sound. Not a problem in this case, but I'm not sure if it could be an issue with a really powerful amp. Could it cause it to send all its power into the speakers and potentially damage them? (I'd be using the Mojo as a digital preamp.)

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #33,374 of 42,765
Tidal HiFi is most definitely not always 44.1 if you get the Masters.

Tidal Masters are most definitely not Tidal HiFi, but the Masters are offered to HiFi subscribers. :)

Tidal HiFi is CD lossless 16/44.1. Tidal masters is MQA.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #33,375 of 42,765
Is the Mojo always safe to turn on and off when connected to a turned on power amp and passive speakers?

I got that power amp today. It's larger than I expected and can output up to 750 watts. When I turn the Mojo off with my active speakers connected and turned on, it makes a sound. Not a problem in this case, but I'm not sure if it could be an issue with a really powerful amp. Could it cause it to send all its power into the speakers and potentially damage them? (I'd be using the Mojo as a digital preamp.)

I would always turn on Mojo first, and check the volume, before turning on the amp, to be on the safe side. Also, Mojo cannot be used as a "digital preamp" as it only has analog output. You can use it as a Dac/ line source for your amp, but it's output into the amp is analog line most any other line souce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back