Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 17, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #32,296 of 42,773
I upgraded to iOS 10.3.2. Big mistake for me (and why such variation as reported in this thread?). I was at first intrigued as my Mojo played without fail for a solid six or seven minutes this morning and then bam!, same old, same old. It's gotten even worse. Now it plays for a few seconds. Any sudden touch of the iPhone and the Mojo stops and my music comes out of the iPhone speaker. The iPhone displays "Cannot Use Device. Mojo: The connected device is not supported."

I love the sound, but I'm seriously considering bailing on the Mojo. And I do wish Chord would respond more so than telling folks to wait for the next iOS update. And here we are...

I've been testing a prototype device for my company which uses an official Apple sourced LAM (Lightning Audio Module) which is designed to allow charging of the iPhone 7 while listening to music.

When I say prototype I mean that from an electronics point of view the device is finished. It's just the form that's still being worked on. Up until the 10.3.1 beta it worked flawlessly, thereafter the exact same problem that a lot of people are facing in that it would work for a bit before reporting that the device is not compatible, or just reporting that the device is incompatible as soon as it's plugged in, even though all of the electronics are officially Apple and the device would be official MFi. We've now confirmed that the problem still exists with the public release of 10.3.2.

Now if Apple break what is effectively their own stuff with an iOS update what chance to independent manufacturers such as Chord have?

We know that the ability to charge and listen to music would have been a killer feature, and since the iPhone 7 it's a feature that a lot of people have been crying out for. However the project is now on hold as a result of this problem. Also even if it is resolved we're coming to the conclusion we cannot risk even a minimum manufacturing order as there are no guarantees that it won't be broken by iOS 11.

May 17, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #32,297 of 42,773
I just got a XMOS USB decoder for my Mojo. I feel that it certainly elevates things, bringing more stability, focus and authority. I could be imagining all of that, but nonetheless, I feel it was $125 well spent.

May 17, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #32,299 of 42,773
I just got a XMOS USB decoder for my Mojo. I feel that it certainly elevates things, bringing more stability, focus and authority. I could be imagining all of that, but nonetheless, I feel it was $125 well spent.

What product? I've been looking at the Jitterbug and such. I've also built my own USB cable which I like very much (v1.0) I ended up lending it to someone to test and they enjoyed it as well, so I'll be making another, but changing a few more aspects on it (again for testing). This was made for the charge whine...but I like how it sounds for music as well.
0427171957a~01~01.jpg
It is far from attractive, which is why I dubbed it "Ugly USB". It was based on the concept of the "Curious USB" cable and I'm actually going to do the same thing, but this time take the Vcc and GND outside and weave them around each other. I'll have a floating shield on the device side this time and leave the shielding soldered on the Host side.

May 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #32,300 of 42,773
Communicate with their customers. I know Rob Watts regularly posts here (and I appreciate that). I feel that we're not getting any guidance about what Chord may be doing with any communications they may have had with Apple, or any workarounds if there are any (other posters are trying many things- some work in some environment, others don't). I wrote to Chord a few times on their product support page (and not all about Apple) and haven't heard back once and that is somewhat frustrating. I really like Chord and the Mojo, but I need the Mojo to work for me. Otherwise, what's the point?

Interesting. When I was at home this morning it worked with periodic drops. Now at work, it drops more than it works, so maybe it is the location and movement. However, the drops were fairly consistent with 10.3.1.
My hardware/environment: iPhone 6, Apple CCK cable, usually on the move (driving, running, etc.) Occasionally stationary.
I upgraded to iOS 10.3.2. Big mistake for me (and why such variation as reported in this thread?). I was at first intrigued as my Mojo played without fail for a solid six or seven minutes this morning and then bam!, same old, same old. It's gotten even worse. Now it plays for a few seconds. Any sudden touch of the iPhone and the Mojo stops and my music comes out of the iPhone speaker. The iPhone displays "Cannot Use Device. Mojo: The connected device is not supported."

I love the sound, but I'm seriously considering bailing on the Mojo. And I do wish Chord would respond more so than telling folks to wait for the next iOS update. And here we are...

First time poster in this thread and my english is far from being good.

Anyway I dared to post because I've updated in the morning to iOS10.3.2 both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 Plus. I was on 10.3.1 before.
I used the same ol' setup I use since I bought my Mojo and I did not experienced your findings. It works flawlessly as it always has done in the various iOS iterations, since I bought it. No drops, just music. Being it from iPhone or iPad. I never tried beta releases of iOS.

I connect to the Mojo from either iDevices I have through the old CCK, the model with one USB socket w/o charging lighting port. The CCK is connected to Mojo through the USB Adapter Module, the Poly-like box (sold with Mojo Cable Pack http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo-cable-pack/).

I don't have a USB OTG cable to connect Mojo to the CCK, to test if it works w/o the USB Adapter Module or not, but in the setup described above I have nothing to complaint. It just worked and it works since 5 hours ago.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #32,301 of 42,773
Sorry if it's been discussed before but
1. does it make a difference if I connect Mojo to a smartphone or the AK300 DAP? any difference in sound quality?
2. when I use mojo with my phone (4G LTE) it has a very audible noise to the sound. How can I remedy this?

May 17, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #32,302 of 42,773
Hi I have just bought one of these today. I would like to get it a case but the official one is rather pricey. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative?

May 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #32,303 of 42,773
What product? I've been looking at the Jitterbug and such. I've also built my own USB cable which I like very much (v1.0) I ended up lending it to someone to test and they enjoyed it as well, so I'll be making another, but changing a few more aspects on it (again for testing). This was made for the charge whine...but I like how it sounds for music as well.

This, the best version; https://tinyurl.com/m7pv7ap

It makes the jitterbug look like a bad joke, in my own opinion of course, and that decoder is not portable..

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #32,304 of 42,773
Get an inexpensive (sub $100) DAP to connect your Mojo to and store your music there...or BT it over. Then again, you can always wait for the much ballyhooed "Poly" and spend a kajillion dollars to do much of what these small DAPs can do. Personally, I think it is a better idea than getting rid of the Mojo. If Apple ever gets it sorted, you still have your Mojo and you have a DAP that you can use elsewhere...including turning a speaker system into a BT one later on.

I agree with your thinking here. Polly or a DAP is a better option then speding xxxx on Android devices and is a big headache to change mobile OS.

Much better to get future proofed Poly which will hold its value more so than even Flagship Android phones.

I simply don't use Mojo with my iPone as prefer a wireless solution which is where Poly comes in. Poly will be out soon.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #32,305 of 42,773
This, the best version; https://tinyurl.com/m7pv7ap

It makes the jitterbug look like a bad joke, in my own opinion of course, and that decoder is not portable..

Saving this for future! Though, before that...I'll be getting the Furman to quiet down the Trickle charging... "then" this is a possibility.

May 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #32,307 of 42,773
I am sure this has been already asked (I apologize) but after reading again famous post #3 I have not found it.
Which is the specific COAX cable to connect FiiO X5III to Mojo? I understood 3.5mm jack 4-pole at FiiO side and 3.5mm jack 2-pole at Mojo side. Right?
In any case all models you may know, please share
Thanks

May 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #32,308 of 42,773
I am sure this has been already asked (I apologize) but after reading again famous post #3 I have not found it.
Which is the specific COAX cable to connect FiiO X5III to Mojo? I understood 3.5mm jack 4-pole at FiiO side and 3.5mm jack 2-pole at Mojo side. Right?
Thanks
Post #3 shows the plugs and cabling for X5II.
I have looked on the FiiO forum page, and can see no mention of plugs, so maybe your best option will be to post a question on that page. https://www.head-fi.org/f/forums/fiio.180/

May 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #32,309 of 42,773
Thanks
Post #3 shows the plugs and cabling for X5II.
I have looked on the FiiO forum page, and can see no mention of plugs, so maybe your best option will be to post a question on that page. https://www.head-fi.org/f/forums/fiio.180/

Yes, the X5 III is the same as the X5 II.

You can grab something like this, but make sure to choose the 4 pole option:

http://penonaudio.com/Coaxial-Decoding-cable-for-Chord-Mojo-with-DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back