Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #32,266 of 42,788
I'm using Mojo with Jriver. I have disabled all upsampling in Jriver but I'm getting this when I click DSP window:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Input: 44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch from source format FLAC

-No changes being made-

Output: 44.1kHz 32bit 2ch using Core Audio (direct connection)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note the change from 16bit to 32 bit. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be the same for bitperfect playback?

I tried to go to my Audio-Midi Setup on my MacBook Pro but none of the options there seem to make a difference.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #32,267 of 42,788
I upgraded to iOS 10.3.2. Big mistake for me (and why such variation as reported in this thread?). I was at first intrigued as my Mojo played without fail for a solid six or seven minutes this morning and then bam!, same old, same old. It's gotten even worse. Now it plays for a few seconds. Any sudden touch of the iPhone and the Mojo stops and my music comes out of the iPhone speaker. The iPhone displays "Cannot Use Device. Mojo: The connected device is not supported."

I love the sound, but I'm seriously considering bailing on the Mojo. And I do wish Chord would respond more so than telling folks to wait for the next iOS update. And here we are...

May 16, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #32,268 of 42,788
I'm wondering if the different reports from people who seem to have the same model of iphone and IOS version, yet have different results may have to do with hardware, either on the CCK connector or different hardware found in different production batches of the iphone.

May 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #32,269 of 42,788
I'm wondering if the different reports from people who seem to have the same model of iphone and IOS version, yet have different results may have to do with hardware, either on the CCK connector or different hardware found in different production batches of the iphone.
The original reports from Oppo, mentioned that the power to the cable was reduced, when the phone needed to increase the radio signal power used to connect to the nearest cellphone mast.
So it is quite possible that some users experience no problems, if their phone/ipad just sits on a desk, compared to someone who may be driving/walking/commuting and their phone/ipad is needing to keep connecting to different cellphone masts.
People are reporting their hardware, and OS number, but not if their phone/iPad is stationary or moving.

May 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #32,270 of 42,788
I upgraded to iOS 10.3.2. Big mistake for me (and why such variation as reported in this thread?). I was at first intrigued as my Mojo played without fail for a solid six or seven minutes this morning and then bam!, same old, same old. It's gotten even worse. Now it plays for a few seconds. Any sudden touch of the iPhone and the Mojo stops and my music comes out of the iPhone speaker. The iPhone displays "Cannot Use Device. Mojo: The connected device is not supported."

I love the sound, but I'm seriously considering bailing on the Mojo. And I do wish Chord would respond more so than telling folks to wait for the next iOS update. And here we are...
What are you expecting Chord to do?
The problem is affecting all DACs from all manufacturers, even MFI certified dacs like Oppos HA2.
All manufacturers can only wait until Apple sort the software out.

May 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #32,271 of 42,788
Since Apple will release iOS 11 beta 1 in three weeks time at the WWDC I now don't expect non-beta users to get a fix before the iOS 11 general release in Autumn (the Fall). This time last year Apple messed up VPN for many iOS 9 users and didn't fix it until iOS 10. History will likely repeat itself - if there's a fix at all.

Well I got that one wrong, at least partially. Apple have tonight released a 10.3.3 beta. I will try it as soon as the public beta is available.

May 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #32,272 of 42,788
The original reports from Oppo, mentioned that the power to the cable was reduced, when the phone needed to increase the radio signal power used to connect to the nearest cellphone mast.
So it is quite possible that some users experience no problems, if their phone/ipad just sits on a desk, compared to someone who may be driving/walking/commuting and their phone/ipad is needing to keep connecting to different cellphone masts.
People are reporting their hardware, and OS number, but not if their phone/iPad is stationary or moving.

That kinda makes sense. When I'm at home in Glasgow I am able to use the Mojo for hours without a disconnect. When I'm in London I find it drops regularly. Must have something to do with cell tower switching. I used to find Apple Music would pause at a cell tower switch. This feels like that but worse.

May 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #32,273 of 42,788
That kinda makes sense. When I'm at home in Glasgow I am able to use the Mojo for hours without a disconnect. When I'm in London I find it drops regularly. Must have something to do with cell tower switching. I used to find Apple Music would pause at a cell tower switch. This feels like that but worse.
@Slaphead posted some illustrative numbers about 99% of Apple users want to have increased battery life, and only less that 1% are audiophiles interested in maintaining connection to their external DACs.
It is easy to understand why Apple may have the motive to focus more on cell mast connections, and not lose too much sleep over DAC owners.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #32,274 of 42,788
I'm using Mojo with Jriver. I have disabled all upsampling in Jriver but I'm getting this when I click DSP window:
Input: 44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch from source format FLAC

-No changes being made-

Output: 44.1kHz 32bit 2ch using Core Audio (direct connection)
Note the change from 16bit to 32 bit. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be the same for bitperfect playback?

I tried to go to my Audio-Midi Setup on my MacBook Pro but none of the options there seem to make a difference.

For bit-perfect the most important factor here is to keep the 44.1KHz sampling rate constant so there is no sample rate conversion. The 16bit data will fit into 32bits with the extra bits padded with zeros so there is no real conversion taking place at all. The output should be identical to 44.1Khz 16 bit in this case.

Edit:

Or select 16bit in the list below then it should force 16bit playback:

upload_2017-5-16_19-37-3.png

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #32,275 of 42,788
What are you expecting Chord to do?
The problem is affecting all DACs from all manufacturers, even MFI certified dacs like Oppos HA2.
All manufacturers can only wait until Apple sort the software out.

Communicate with their customers. I know Rob Watts regularly posts here (and I appreciate that). I feel that we're not getting any guidance about what Chord may be doing with any communications they may have had with Apple, or any workarounds if there are any (other posters are trying many things- some work in some environment, others don't). I wrote to Chord a few times on their product support page (and not all about Apple) and haven't heard back once and that is somewhat frustrating. I really like Chord and the Mojo, but I need the Mojo to work for me. Otherwise, what's the point?

Interesting. When I was at home this morning it worked with periodic drops. Now at work, it drops more than it works, so maybe it is the location and movement. However, the drops were fairly consistent with 10.3.1.

My hardware/environment: iPhone 6, Apple CCK cable, usually on the move (driving, running, etc.) Occasionally stationary.

May 16, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #32,276 of 42,788
Communicate with their customers.

I am not trying to start a row, but they have communicated already that there is nothing that they can do to cure the problem.
I realise that you are frustrated, but trying to blame the easy target Chord, will not cure your Apple issues.

Seriously though, it has also been pointed out that an additional trigger for the phone to contact the cell mast, can be when the phone receives an alert about a message or email, plus possibly also if you have your phone set to discover your location (cellmasts or GPS ?).

Overall it would be difficult to not experience any dropouts, unless you switch the phone to airplane mode - which is probably a step too far for most people.

May 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #32,277 of 42,788
Communicate with their customers. I know Rob Watts regularly posts here (and I appreciate that). I feel that we're not getting any guidance about what Chord may be doing with any communications they may have had with Apple, or any workarounds if there are any (other posters are trying many things- some work in some environment, others don't). I wrote to Chord a few times on their product support page (and not all about Apple) and haven't heard back once and that is somewhat frustrating. I really like Chord and the Mojo, but I need the Mojo to work for me. Otherwise, what's the point?

Interesting. When I was at home this morning it worked with periodic drops. Now at work, it drops more than it works, so maybe it is the location and movement. However, the drops were fairly consistent with 10.3.1.

My hardware/environment: iPhone 6, Apple CCK cable, usually on the move (driving, running, etc.) Occasionally stationary.

Are you using the Wider Apple CCK cable which allows you to charge at the same time?

It has been observed recently that it seems to be better and more reliable for Audio connection compared to single port Apple CCK cable.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #32,278 of 42,788
Are you using the Wider Apple CCK cable which allows you to charge at the same time?

It has been observed recently that it seems to be better and more reliable for Audio connection compared to single port Apple CCK cable.
Maybe that could be because you would be powering the chip in the cable, using mains power, rather than the phone battery.
It would be interesting to hear the experiences of as many users of that cable as possible.

May 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #32,280 of 42,788
I would love to see next Chord Mojo utilising Bluetooth 5.0. Samsung new S8 has Bluetooth 5.0 which is over 3 times better range than Bluetooth 4versions. Then on top of Bluetooth 5 include support for:
AptX
AptX HD
AAC

if Apple iPhone 8 has BT5, then it is even more compelling.
Who needs all the fuss with cables.

That new Mojo Poly makes the Mojo too big.
I am sure if Apple offer BT5 on iPhone 8 we will see many BT5 DACS in 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back