Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #32,251 of 42,788
May 16, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #32,252 of 42,788
It is a good question. I suspect you will here a bigger difference between different quality cables and connectors than you will hear between rca left right vs mini jack. I use the mini jack as a pre out to drive a power amp. It took me a while to find a cable/connectors that I was happy with, but now I am very pleased.

You use the Mojo to drive a stereo speakers system? Pretty amazing, but again this goes a long way to show how great the Mojo is. Cheers.

May 16, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #32,253 of 42,788
May 16, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #32,255 of 42,788
May 16, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #32,256 of 42,788
You mean Rob Watts. :wink:

Yes, Rob Watts. I hope he makes a DAP so I don't have to buy the SP1000. Always prefer a one-brick solution when I am out and about, it makes me look stupid swiping the iPhone with the Mojo connected. At home and when I need some isolation with the IEMs, I always reach for the Mojo though. Simply put, it is indeed better than my AK380Cu in terms of sound quality despite it is many times cheaper.

May 16, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #32,257 of 42,788
Yes, Rob Watts. I hope he makes a DAP so I don't have to buy the SP1000. Always prefer a one-brick solution when I am out and about, it makes me look stupid swiping the iPhone with the Mojo connected. At home and when I need some isolation with the IEMs, I always reach for the Mojo though. Simply put, it is indeed better than my AK380Cu in terms of sound quality despite it is many times cheaper.

Next Mojo addon will be a LCD screen and puff! - here is your DAP from Chord.

May 16, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #32,258 of 42,788
Well you're preaching to the choir. Again, I never said balanced was better by default. Peace.

You got some pretty amazing gear in your signature file. How would you compare the Dave-Utopia setup with BHSE-SR009 (assuming Dave is the source)?

Back to the topic I think the Mojo compares favourably to many desktop DACs. The Mojo beats all Schitt DAC products for example in my opinion. I really hope they release a DAP.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #32,259 of 42,788

Well, given the impending release of the Poly I doubt a DAP is on its way.

You got some pretty amazing gear in your signature file. How would you compare the Dave-Utopia setup with BHSE-SR009 (assuming Dave is the source)?

Back to the topic I think the Mojo compares favourably to many desktop DACs. The Mojo beats all Schitt DAC products for example in my opinion. I really hope they release a DAP.

Thanks, I'm happy with where I've ended up but the Blu mk with the M scaler is seriously tempting me. I haven't heard the BHSE or the SR009, but I wish I did!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #32,260 of 42,788
Well, given the impending release of the Poly I doubt a DAP is on its way.

Just to get your opinion - would you say paying $1K more than the SP1000 for a second hand Dave, is a much better investment than buying the AK SP1000 itself? I am currently using Weiss DAC202 for desktop playback.

May 16, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #32,262 of 42,788
Just to get your opinion - would you say paying $1K more than the SP1000 for a second hand Dave, is a much better investment than buying the AK SP1000 itself? I am currently using Weiss DAC202 for desktop playback.

I am a big fan of Rob's WTA filter and Pulse Array DAC because of the transients and natural presentation, as I hear it. There are those that disagree though. I listen to Classical, Jazz, Acoustic, older Rock (Pink Floyd for example), Electronic, Ambient. Personally, I wouldn't pay the premium for the SP1000 using the AKM4497 off-the-shelf DACs, not counting any personal tonal preferences, and I'm not a fan of AK's amp outputs typically from what I've heard (not saying the amp section is bad). I find Rob's approach takes audio reproduction much further, and I can't fathom why one would pay the premium for AK at this point.

As far as DAVE is concerned let me just say that it is sooooo much more technically capable than the Mojo (for reference), yet it sounds soooo much more natural and analogue as well, and I like the Mojo. The music is much deeper, more expansive, like going from a clean recording studio to a grand cathedral, and the transients are incredibly sharp and fast. More impact, more bass, more low level detail, waaay more depth, cleaner treble, much better dynamics, and it's like there is sound coming from nowhere. I feel the SP1000 may be a slight improvement over the AK380, but still limited by the less capable hardware in the device than even the Mojo.

If it were me I would pick the DAVE over the SP1000 any day. Easy choice, especially at that price!!

The Weiss DAC202 has good specs but I haven't heard it. Having dual ESS9018 DAC chips would keep me from an audition. Based on early reports you can add the M scaler to the DAVE and the experience would be, shall we say, transformational.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #32,263 of 42,788
By the way, probably someone has already asked, can someone recommend a high quality short cable from USB-C to micro USB so I can use my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with the mojo? Thanks.
Depends what you mean by 'high quality'.
If you mean high cost, then Forza Audio Works produce a popular cable, but it is long.

Unexpectedly there are a lot of reports from people happily using cheap short cables, sourced off EBay.

I think links are contained in post #3, but there are plenty of links also on the Shanling M1 thread.

May 16, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #32,264 of 42,788
By the way, probably someone has already asked, can someone recommend a high quality short cable from USB-C to micro USB so I can use my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with the mojo? Thanks.
Look at my answer, two replies above this yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back