Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 17, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #32,311 of 42,765
Do the problem iphones cut out when in airplane mode? The cut outs seem to happen when searching for masts, so I presume this would stop the disconnect?

Good idea, but I didn't find that Airplane Mode made the audio drops any less frequent.

Until Apple gets around to fixing this problem, it might be worthwhile to think of our phones as buggy computers instead of as appliances or audio gear. Right now, I'm thinking the bug has more to do with the iOS app ecosystem and our usage patterns than with any specific hardware-related problems. (Are there any long-time Mac users out there who remember the bad old days when we needed something like Conflict Catcher to sort out software problems?) Anyway, I've adopted the following behaviors which I think make the audio drops less severe:

1. Force quitting backgrounded apps that have earned my suspicion, especially iOS's built-in audio apps like Music (when I'm not using it) and Podcasts, and also force quitting 3rd-party apps that output audio if I'm still having a problem.

2. Turning off background app refresh on these same suspicious apps. For me, that means setting the Podcast app to refresh manually instead of automatically. You can also go into General Settings -> Background App Refresh and take an axe to different apps, but I haven't had to go that far.

3. Power cycling the phone, although I haven't had to resort to this since trying #1 and #2 above.

Admittedly these strategies have not solved the issue completely, but whereas I used to get audio drops every couple of minutes, if I'm lucky, now I can listen to entire albums without experiencing any dropouts. This may depend on the app being used for playback - I use the iOS Music app for iTunes synced content, and Onkyo HF player for HD and DSD, and I think I still get more drops using the Onkyo player, but it's still not as bad as before.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #32,312 of 42,765
Since it's so quiet, here in the thread, here's a little something to feed Mojo, in a spare 5 minutes:

youtube.com/watch?v=dqE871--piM

(original: youtube.com/watch?v=8NQ-Bk63Hs8 )

youtube.com/watch?v=rcVEsNno40w

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #32,314 of 42,765
Thnx for the tip!

Updated my iPhone yesterday evening.. been using the Mojo (with Penon Audio Pure Silver Decoding Cable) for 3 hours total without one single dropout.
I used to have dropouts every few minutes, so it looks promising.

Let's see, will report back if something changes!

After some "break in time" my iOS 10.3.2 returned to normal - aka I experience periodic dropouts ..:expressionless:
I cannot explain the fact that I used it for more than 6 hours without a single dropout on the first day after the update. Sorry for the optimistic misleading first info..

I cannot find any correlation between anything I do and the frequency of the dropouts.. let's just call it "Apple Magic" for the time being.

I'm not giving up on the Mojo so I'll have to find a cheap DAP until/if this gets solved by Apple or just accept I bought the 256 gb version of the iPhone 7 for nothing and buy a proper DAP.

May 18, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #32,315 of 42,765
hi Junix,

Try using the larger Apple CCK kit cable (includes a charging port) as it is more reliable than the single port Apple CCK kit. Buy it direct from Apple.

Apparently over 50% of MFI shown certified cables on Amazon are not really MFI. Apple complained to Amazon about selling these dodgy cables, but nothing Amazon can do about it.

Let us know how it goes with the Apple CCK cable.

Soundizer

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #32,316 of 42,765
After some "break in time" my iOS 10.3.2 returned to normal - aka I experience periodic dropouts ..:expressionless:
I cannot explain the fact that I used it for more than 6 hours without a single dropout on the first day after the update. Sorry for the optimistic misleading first info..

I cannot find any correlation between anything I do and the frequency of the dropouts.. let's just call it "Apple Magic" for the time being.

I'm not giving up on the Mojo so I'll have to find a cheap DAP until/if this gets solved by Apple or just accept I bought the 256 gb version of the iPhone 7 for nothing and buy a proper DAP.

After a few days away from the Mojo, I too decided that I'm not giving up either. Plug and play would be nice, but the iOS combo at the moment won't allow that.

I did find this helpful from cyberhazy:

Good idea, but I didn't find that Airplane Mode made the audio drops any less frequent.

Until Apple gets around to fixing this problem, it might be worthwhile to think of our phones as buggy computers instead of as appliances or audio gear. Right now, I'm thinking the bug has more to do with the iOS app ecosystem and our usage patterns than with any specific hardware-related problems. (Are there any long-time Mac users out there who remember the bad old days when we needed something like Conflict Catcher to sort out software problems?) Anyway, I've adopted the following behaviors which I think make the audio drops less severe:

1. Force quitting backgrounded apps that have earned my suspicion, especially iOS's built-in audio apps like Music (when I'm not using it) and Podcasts, and also force quitting 3rd-party apps that output audio if I'm still having a problem.

2. Turning off background app refresh on these same suspicious apps. For me, that means setting the Podcast app to refresh manually instead of automatically. You can also go into General Settings -> Background App Refresh and take an axe to different apps, but I haven't had to go that far.

3. Power cycling the phone, although I haven't had to resort to this since trying #1 and #2 above.

Admittedly these strategies have not solved the issue completely, but whereas I used to get audio drops every couple of minutes, if I'm lucky, now I can listen to entire albums without experiencing any dropouts. This may depend on the app being used for playback - I use the iOS Music app for iTunes synced content, and Onkyo HF player for HD and DSD, and I think I still get more drops using the Onkyo player, but it's still not as bad as before.

That helped (with thanks to cyberhazy). This morning, I was able to listen Gene Ammon's great Boss Tenor LP

220px-Boss_Tenor.jpg

almost in its entirety without a drop. That, and the superb sound quality of Ammons and the Mojo, convinced me to stick with it.

May 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #32,317 of 42,765
And hes some for people that like a little more meat on the bone :wink:

I've recently been listening to Opeth's Deliverance & Damnation Remixed - well, the Damnation album specifically - through lé Mojo... there's nothing else out there that manages to create a similar atmosphere to it. One of my favourite albums of all time!

May 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #32,319 of 42,765
I've recently been listening to Opeth's Deliverance & Damnation Remixed - well, the Damnation album specifically - through lé Mojo... there's nothing else out there that manages to create a similar atmosphere to it. One of my favourite albums of all time!
I am not at all a metal guy, but I was hooked on Damnation when it was relased about fourteen years ago. One of the best progessive rock albums I have heard since I bough the Led Zeppelins IV in the beginning of the 70s. Now I'm mostly listen to jazz and classical, and this is one of the few rock albums I'm still enjoying from time to time. Now back to my Mojo and Tomasz Stanko Quartet :)

May 18, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #32,321 of 42,765
Which cable are you using for the COAX connection of X5iii with Mojo?

It's a DIY quick cable I tossed together just for testing...It's made with Toxic Cables SPC wire (Viper) and some cheap connectors (that's why it looks ugly). I had Neutrik ends on it, but used them as "Y" split elsewhere. If I decide to stack like this more often, I'll get better connectors and rebuild the cable.

May 18, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #32,322 of 42,765
Can you recommend a good over-ear but portable headphones to use with Mojo? I really like the design and construction of V-Moda's M100 but the sound is just too bassy

May 18, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #32,324 of 42,765
Can you recommend a good over-ear but portable headphones to use with Mojo? I really like the design and construction of V-Moda's M100 but the sound is just too bassy

Audeze Sine, I hear good things about the Meze 99 Classic too (kind of interested in those).

May 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #32,325 of 42,765
Audeze Sine, I hear good things about the Meze 99 Classic too (kind of interested in those).
Sine is on-ear. is it as comfortable as over-ears like pm-3 and v-moda m-100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back