Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 2, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #31,516 of 42,773
I had a response from Chord on Twitter to say that "Since 10.3 non-genuine Apple cables are effected. Switching to an authorised cable will clear the issue." I'm using an official genuine apple CCK and then Chords cable or USB block. What other genuine apple cable are they suggesting I use?

Been doing some testing with a few cables. It seems all the unoriginal ones I have (usually with the "lightning to usb" chip in the lightning-part of the cable) are broken by 10.3. Even the one I made myself :-/
It works for like 2 minutes, but then disconnects. I can only get it working again by restarting the phone.
The original cck cable works fine (at least for the last few hours of playback). :) Using a little special adapter makes it "ok" for now.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #31,517 of 42,773
I did a fresh install Friday night, which hasn't stopped it happening but it's definitely slowed the issue down a bit. Took my Mojo for a 7 hour overtime stint at work Saturday. It stopped 17 times in those hours. Still annoying. But I can get through the odd track now. Can't figure out why it's affecting genuine CCK's too

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #31,518 of 42,773

Anyone here using the coax input on the Mojo? I would like to know if you're suppose to be able to adjust the volume on the player or like the USB input, only the Mojo would control the volume?
I think that would depend on the software you are using.

And you're using the volume of the player-transport, at what volume should it be set not to affect too much the ''pure'' sound of the Mojo Dac?
It should be set to the max.

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #31,519 of 42,773
Anyone here using the coax input on the Mojo? I would like to know if you're suppose to be able to adjust the volume on the player or like the USB input, only the Mojo would control the volume?
I think that would depend on the software you are using.

And you're using the volume of the player-transport, at what volume should it be set not to affect too much the ''pure'' sound of the Mojo Dac?
It should be set to the max.

I use the optical coax, I adjust the volume from the mojo itself, I have an asus rog motherboard and that has its own software built in and on that I have the volume set to max, and the main volume control for me has been always done via the mojo itself. This does not effect the purity of the mojo itself and sounds fantastic.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #31,520 of 42,773
Been doing some testing with a few cables. It seems all the unoriginal ones I have (usually with the "lightning to usb" chip in the lightning-part of the cable) are broken by 10.3. Even the one I made myself :-/
It works for like 2 minutes, but then disconnects. I can only get it working again by restarting the phone.
The original cck cable works fine (at least for the last few hours of playback). :) Using a little special adapter makes it "ok" for now.

Yep, same experience, even the up-until-now perfect Meenova cable. 2 minutes after a reset/restart and then it stops. Only CCK functions, and I get the stopping randomly on average a couple times per hour. Supposedly th Meenova was MfI, but perhaps not.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #31,521 of 42,773
Is it worth adding a Linear Power Suppy to Mojo.

Since it more or less seems to run off the battery and power is just going to the charging circuit I was not sure if it would make much difference. And no power is used off the USB data input.

I've seen some on ebay for $50 to $150 from China.

Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/302250658326

I use Mojo strictly as a desktop unit.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #31,523 of 42,773

Since it more or less seems to run off the battery and power is just going to the charging circuit I was not sure if it would make much difference. And no power is used off the USB data input.

I can't hear any differences with the charger plugged in but if were convinced it would change the sound of probably go for an iFi ipower plug "queiter than battery"

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #31,525 of 42,773
  thanks a lot! It just seems that my player is not set to max when I use coax out to Mojo...so I have to manually set it to max when connected to Mojo.

I don't even set to max volume (on DAP) when i use my Coax - i believe the concept is since the signal is bypassing the DAC and Amp portions already so no need to set them. The Mojo will do all the work.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #31,526 of 42,773

I found a thread on them over at /r/audiophile https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/574ri1/linear_power_supplies_for_dacs_overpriced_snake/

I googled asking if they were snake oil or not, turns out they can be quite good but become snake oil the higher you go up the chain. Apparently they do make a difference although how much on the mojo I wouldn't know as that thing sounds great to me anyway just plugged in full time via usb to my pc and I don't get any noise or interference of any kind, i use coax optical for sound output as well.

Take a read through the thread I listed above there's some recommendations in there for ones as well. I would certainly check the ones you noted here from ebay to see what others are saying. You don't want it to burn your home down :)

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #31,527 of 42,773
hello all,

i'm leaning towards pairing my chord mojo with a set of focal alpha 50s, but not knowing my way around these sorts of things too well, i'm still a bit lost on the particulars.

two things:

|first, in terms of price point, are the alpha 50s about as good as I can get in the 500-600ish range? or would I need to spend more to get the most out of the mojo?
|second,

However, I don’t think the Mojo will work as a preamp. You’d need to set the Mojo headphone jacks to line out, and hook it up to a separate volume control, like the Schiit Sys, http://schiit.com/products/sys

is this true? will I need to buy some sort of passive preamp in order to rig it like so:
laptop > mojo (via dual rca) > alphas?

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #31,528 of 42,773

hello all,

i'm leaning towards pairing my chord mojo with a set of focal alpha 50s, but not knowing my way around these sorts of things too well, i'm still a bit lost on the particulars.

two things:

|first, in terms of price point, are the alpha 50s about as good as I can get in the 500-600ish range? or would I need to spend more to get the most out of the mojo?
|second,

is this true? will I need to buy some sort of passive preamp in order to rig it like so:

i have the Focal alpha 50s
...they rock for value...

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch

https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/

(wish I'd gotten the slightly larger 65s for more bottom end:
like 'em so much that I'm even considering switching up to the $$CMS 65 series at double the price)

you just need a DAC as the speakers are active...no preamp
just press down both volume buttons of mojo when hookingup, esp for this purpose
i'm using the ifi micro idsd...will soon swap in mojo to try it.

so buy a dual RCA to 1/8'' splitter plug to attach to dual RCA cables like this below by audioquest
(sent to me by another member).you should be all set.
(i'm using bluejean LC-1 cables) https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #31,529 of 42,773
hello all,

two things:

|second,

Consider the HS7's that I have for 400/pair or 200 each. They sound very reference like when fed with a good DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back