Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #31,486 of 42,783
Yes, it's the FiiO L16 and it works with the X5-1's separate 3.5mm TS coaxial port. Yes, I know, I know, it's a stereo TRS cable meant for line-out connections and not a shielded 75 Ohm coaxial standard cable. It does work though as the signal and ground line up with the pin outs.

For the Cayin i5 you need to use their USB C to coaxial cable as they don't have a 3.5mm coaxial port for the i5. There's plenty of information on the i5 thread if you do a search for coaxial output, or just ask there (Andy Kong usually replies rather quickly).

thanks for the quick reply. yeah, i also asked and did a search in the i5 thread. I also looked at the N6 thread and found some answers. Someone did mention that the i5 also has Coax out - but now i have the pin configuration (TS Plug - Data at Tips, Ground to Sleeve) for the cable - just need Andy to confirm the Coax for i5

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #31,487 of 42,783
thanks for the quick reply. yeah, i also asked and did a search in the i5 thread. I also looked at the N6 thread and found some answers. Someone did mention that the i5 also has Coax out - but now i have the pin configuration (TS Plug - Data at Tips, Ground to Sleeve) for the cable - just need Andy to confirm the Coax for i5

Did you read the link in the edit I made to my previous post?

Here it is again:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/2085#post_13033755

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #31,488 of 42,783
Did you read the link in the edit I made to my previous post?

Here it is again:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/2085#post_13033755

This is so perfect! Thank you for providing the link and helping out! I really appreciate it. Now time to look for the parts 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #31,489 of 42,783
Hi all.

Well I just picked up this baby (the mojo) a few days ago and the SQ has blown my mind.  I have a hifi set up but I use the Mojo with the PC in my bedroom.  I already had a pair of HD650's and a Rega Ear lying about so I thought why not put them to good use.  So I bought a Dragonfly Black which used for a few days but I just got the upgrade itch and decided to splash out on the Mojo.  I'm so glad I did as this thing is phenomenal.  The Dragonfly was nice for the money but this is on another level. 

The first day I used the Mojo connected to my Rega Ear due to not having an adapter but now I run the HD650's straight from the Mojo.  Now I'm getting the upgrade itch for some more headphones (oh no what have I started!).

So if you had £300 to spend on some headphones, new or 2nd hand, what would you say if the best for synergy straight from the Mojo?  I have tinnitus so I favour smoothness, midrange and bass over analytical detail.  I mean I still like detail but not by the bucket loads.

I frequent a classifieds forum that is members only and someone is selling a pair of practically brand new Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon for £300. 

Cheers.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #31,490 of 42,783
  Hi all.

Well I just picked up this baby (the mojo) a few days ago and the SQ has blown my mind.  I have a hifi set up but I use the Mojo with the PC in my bedroom.  I already had a pair of HD650's and a Rega Ear lying about so I thought why not put them to good use.  So I bought a Dragonfly Black which used for a few days but I just got the upgrade itch and decided to splash out on the Mojo.  I'm so glad I did as this thing is phenomenal.  The Dragonfly was nice for the money but this is on another level. 

The first day I used the Mojo connected to my Rega Ear due to not having an adapter but now I run the HD650's straight from the Mojo.  Now I'm getting the upgrade itch for some more headphones (oh no what have I started!).

So if you had £300 to spend on some headphones, new or 2nd hand, what would you say if the best for synergy straight from the Mojo?  I have tinnitus so I favour smoothness, midrange and bass over analytical detail.  I mean I still like detail but not by the bucket loads.

I frequent a classifieds forum that is members only and someone is selling a pair of practically brand new Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon for £300. 

Cheers.

Go for the Nighthawk. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you give some time to your brain to adjust to its unique sound signature, you may fall in love with them. Great synergy with Mojo. I still love this combo for many-many months now. Amazing sound imo, and great value for the money.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #31,491 of 42,783
I had a response from Chord on Twitter to say that "Since 10.3 non-genuine Apple cables are effected. Switching to an authorised cable will clear the issue." I'm using an official genuine apple CCK and then Chords cable or USB block. What other genuine apple cable are they suggesting I use?

I've upgraded to 10.3 and, for the first time with the official CCK, am having occasional random sound loss. I have to pause the track, unplug and plug back in the lightning connector. Kind of annoying. Not frequent, but random. Average once or twice an hour, maybe? Hopefully Poly fixes that for good.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #31,492 of 42,783
Hi Betula.

Really no way.  They are interesting sound wise.  I'm just reading some more reviews of the AQ NHC now.  I'll have a think about it.  I think I need to do some more research about them first before I splash out or does an early bird catch the worm?  I don't think they will sell today but you never know.

Any other phones for £300 ,preferably 2nd hand as I can get more bang for buck?

Must have great synergy being driven from the Mojo!

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #31,494 of 42,783
Hi Betula.

Really no way.  They are interesting sound wise.  I'm just reading some more reviews of the AQ NHC now.  I'll have a think about it.  I think I need to do some more research about them first before I splash out or does an early bird catch the worm?  I don't think they will sell today but you never know.

Any other phones for £300 ,preferably 2nd hand as I can get more bang for buck?

Must have great synergy being driven from the Mojo!

The M1060 sounds glorious with Mojo. I listen on red/orange and there is plenty of power to spare. Right now they are $400 on amazon but the msrp is $300. Monoprice is going to be restocking them mid April and hopefully with some tweaks to the build.

Zeos just did a review of them which came out today. He liked them better than the LC-2 and said they are in line with the LCD-X in the sound quality dept. I don't always agree with his reviews or the way he tests his equipment but this time he is pretty spot on about these headphones.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #31,495 of 42,783
Can Mojo be used 24/7 with pc as dac? It seems not because when i use Mojo for longer periods of time (almost whole day) of contious use, it auto shutdowns and can be used only after while. So does it mean the unit depleats it's battery capacity quicker than it is able to replenish it? Or could it be some other problem? Maybe overheating? Or some auto sleep function going mad? I use it on Windows 10, 24bit/96khz. It went off on two differenc ocsasions. Both when playing two different games for few hours. Battery is charged from pc whole time it is connected as dac. Unit is few weeks old.

The small light next to charging port is white when connected and flashes red when disconected. - does it mean battery is low? how can i tell battery level when it is being charged?

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #31,496 of 42,783
  Can Mojo be used 24/7 with pc as dac? It seems not because when i use Mojo for longer periods of time (almost whole day) of contious use, it auto shutdowns and can be used only after while. So does it mean the unit depleats it's battery capacity quicker than it is able to replenish it? Or could it be some other problem? Maybe overheating? Or some auto sleep function going mad? I use it on Windows 10, 24bit/96khz. It autoshutdowned when playing two different games for few hours. Battery is charged from pc whole time it is connected as dac. Unit is few weeks old. thanks

You need to make sure it's fully charged before using it as a desktop DAC.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #31,497 of 42,783
Can Mojo be used 24/7 with pc as dac? It seems not because when i use Mojo for longer periods of time (almost whole day) of contious use, it auto shutdowns and can be used only after while. So does it mean the unit depleats it's battery capacity quicker than it is able to replenish it? Or could it be some other problem? Maybe overheating? Or some auto sleep function going mad? I use it on Windows 10, 24bit/96khz. It went off on two differenc ocsasions. Both when playing two different games for few hours. Battery is charged from pc whole time it is connected as dac. Unit is few weeks old. The small light next to charging port is white when connected and flashes red when disconected.

Flashing red means 2% battery left, so it is not surprising that is shuts down.
The chord advice is to fully charge the battery first, and then you can use the mojo connected to your pic, with no issues of overheating.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #31,498 of 42,783
  Can Mojo be used 24/7 with pc as dac? It seems not because when i use Mojo for longer periods of time (almost whole day) of contious use, it auto shutdowns and can be used only after while. So does it mean the unit depleats it's battery capacity quicker than it is able to replenish it? Or could it be some other problem? Maybe overheating? Or some auto sleep function going mad? I use it on Windows 10, 24bit/96khz. It went off on two differenc ocsasions. Both when playing two different games for few hours. Battery is charged from pc whole time it is connected as dac. Unit is few weeks old.

The small light next to charging port is white when connected and flashes red when disconected. - does it mean battery is low? how can i tell battery level when it is being charged?

You are experiencing this problem, because Mojo is not charging from USB ports. It needs 1A for charging, and USB ports provide only 500mA. You need at least 1A wall charger for Mojo. Listening and charging at the same time is OK according to Chord, but Mojo will run hotter than usual. You do not have to worry about heat though, as the unit will shut off before over-heating thanks to security circuits. (This is not what you are experiencing at this point, you simply drain the battery.) There are three ways to avoid overheating and auto shut off: 1, start using Mojo after it is fully charged (leaving the charger cable plugged in) 2, turn the unit on its side, this way you double the surface to loose heat and shut off won't happen 3, use Mojo from battery, and charge at night. (If you need more than 7-8 hrs listening a day, you can still plug the charger in for an hour or so without any issue.) According to Rob Watts battery should give you at least 10.000 hrs of usage before it starts to loose its capacity. That is more than 5 years, if you listen 5 hours every day.

This is how the charging lights tell you the battery level:

On a personal note: I did use my first Mojo plugged in 24/7, but somehow killed the battery. I was not paying attention to keep it fully charged before using it though, and it was a very early production unit. With my replacement unit I chose the 3rd way, charging at night and using the battery. Works well for me, and it is also one cable less this way. :wink:

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #31,499 of 42,783
The M1060 sounds glorious with Mojo. I listen on red/orange and there is plenty of power to spare. Right now they are $400 on amazon but the msrp is $300. Monoprice is going to be restocking them mid April and hopefully with some tweaks to the build.

Zeos just did a review of them which came out today. He liked them better than the LC-2 and said they are in line with the LCD-X in the sound quality dept. I don't always agree with his reviews or the way he tests his equipment but this time he is pretty spot on about these headphones.
Hoping to grab those as well once they come back in stock. I'm just afraid they'll sell out before I put in my order with how much hype Zeos gave them.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #31,500 of 42,783
Hi all.

Cheers.

FYI, Rob Watts (the Mojo designer) prefers the Nighthawk due to its performance and smooth delivery. I picked up the Nighthawk when it was 40% off before the Nighthawk Carbon was released and it basically matches your description for your preferences. What I really like about them is the flat impedance response and the very low distortion. I think the Mojo/Nighthawk combo is fantastic. When I want to hear everything in the music with ridiculous dynamic punch I use the Focal Utopia with the DAVE. When I want to lose myself in the smooth warmth of the music I use the Nighthawk with the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back