Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #30,601 of 42,765

Thanks again.
Is this the same issue that's discussed in the FAQ in post #2 under "charging noise"? If so, looks like it's always been there. If it's not, bummer. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post#post_11992415

I have a 49XXX unit and definitely hear some of the charging noise from time to time but it definitely fits the description of what I read in the 2nd post and changes depending on cable/charger used. So it sounds like its not an issue, just an annoyance at worst and is nothing to worry about.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #30,602 of 42,765
@Chikolad I think it's different, in that under #3 'charging noise' they basically say that's it's not Mojo, it's the charger, and if you change to better/charger cables the noise will go away.
I've tried short 20AWG cables, Anker Powerline Cables, and the supplied Mojo Cable, none of these made any difference.
I've tried charging from a Macbook (both plugged in, and from battery), the Apple iPhone charger, the Apple iPad charger, Anker 2.4w charger, and finally a iFi iPower 'noise free' charger, none of these changed the behaviour even slightly. I'm saying this to hopefully save others the time, hassle and money trying to fix this unfixable (to my knowledge) problem.

If the charging noise really is because of 'substandard' USB chargers/cables (i.e. Mojo is picky) then why the hell do Chord not supply a charger and cable that does actually perform to Mojo's spec? If for some reason that's too difficult, even a short list of 'approved' chargers and cables in the manual would save their customers a lot of hassle when stuff like this arises.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #30,603 of 42,765
Ok, so... I did a quick cable shoot out... and.. well...

- Meenova USB-C to MicroUSB Cable
- DIY Mogami W2893 USB to MicroUSB Cable
- AudioQuest Forest USB to MicroUSB Cable

My source was my LG V20 phone to the Mojo and then out to my LCD-2F.

Meenova Cable:
This cable I thought sounded OK at first, but it wasn't till I put it against the other cables that I realized that it was very thin and cheap sounding. 

Mogami Cable:
This cable was easy to tell the difference from the Meenova cable. The Bass, Mids, and Highs all were much cleaner and definitely better. It gave the sound of almost going to a Tube amp from a cheap Solid State amp but was still well defined.

AudioQuest Forest:
This cable was better still. It sounded clearer, as if the background had less hiss and was darker during quieter passages. The voices and instruments were more crisp and better defined. Going to this from the Mogami sounded like going from a decent mid-range Tube amp to a Very Good Solid State amp. 

Now, I didn't believe it. You know, I'm with everyone else. This is the "digital realm". Just "1" and "0". In the Analog space, you'd hear a bit more...but not much, not in the digital realm. I was wrong! I had my son try it and my wife as well and they heard the same thing. My son is a gamer and listens on Logitech cheap headphones. My wife, listens on a pair of $20 Sony headphones that I picked up while waiting in-line at Best Buy. If they could hear it and tell a difference, then there must be something to it. Now... I'm almost interested in purchasing the Cinnamon and trying that out.  If only AQ made a USB-C to MicroUSB cable.

Note: Since there are enough people claiming that the "charging" whine is present for them, I'm going to see if the vendor swaps for me, if not... I'll just keep it. I don't intend to use it in my desktop rig (as I still prefer the sound and weight of the Audeze Deckard with my LCD-2F) and just use this when going "transportable". I still very much like the sound.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #30,604 of 42,765
popcorn.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #30,605 of 42,765

I love it with softer recordings, but not with everything. (Though it still sounds good with everything.) I did a trial trade for a TH900. The owner only wanted to try the Elear to see if he wanted to buy it. Since he was already done with it, he was kind enough to send the Elear to someone I'm trading with for an LCD-X, and he's letting me keep his TH900 for awhile longer.

You should start to do neck exercises while hanging weights from your ears.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #30,606 of 42,765
Now, I didn't believe it. You know, I'm with everyone else. This is the "digital realm". Just "1" and "0". In the Analog space, you'd hear a bit more...but not much, not in the digital realm. I was wrong! I had my son try it and my wife as well and they heard the same thing.

USB is both digital and analog. (Data and power.) And technically, digital is also analog, since it's electrical impulses and whatnot.

You should start to do neck exercises while hanging weights from your ears.

Guess we'll see how well I can handle it. Mine includes an additional head strap, which may improve the comfort.

Oddly, when I auditioned the Abyss (which weighs a bit more), it felt heavy in my hands, but not that heavy on my head. Must be well-designed.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #30,607 of 42,765

Meenova Cable:
This cable I thought sounded OK at first, but it wasn't till I put it against the other cables that I realized that it was very thin and cheap sounding. 

Mogami Cable:
This cable was easy to tell the difference from the Meenova cable. The Bass, Mids, and Highs all were much cleaner and definitely better. It gave the sound of almost going to a Tube amp from a cheap Solid State amp but was still well defined.

AudioQuest Forest:
This cable was better still. It sounded clearer, as if the background had less hiss and was darker during quieter passages. The voices and instruments were more crisp and better defined. Going to this from the Mogami sounded like going from a decent mid-range Tube amp to a Very Good Solid State amp. 

Now, I didn't believe it. You know, I'm with everyone else. This is the "digital realm". Just "1" and "0". In the Analog space, you'd hear a bit more...but not much, not in the digital realm. I was wrong! I had my son try it and my wife as well and they heard the same thing. My son is a gamer and listens on Logitech cheap headphones. My wife, listens on a pair of $20 Sony headphones that I picked up while waiting in-line at Best Buy. If they could hear it and tell a difference, then there must be something to it. Now... I'm almost interested in purchasing the Cinnamon and trying that out.  If only AQ made a USB-C to MicroUSB cable.

Note: Since there are enough people claiming that the "charging" whine is present for them, I'm going to see if the vendor swaps for me, if not... I'll just keep it. I don't intend to use it in my desktop rig (as I still prefer the sound and weight of the Audeze Deckard with my LCD-2F) and just use this when going "transportable". I still very much like the sound.

Yeah, digital is not zero's and one's. They don't actually exist. Digital is sampled data (that's the definition of digital) and it's transmitted as voltage/current down a wire. The threshold above a certain voltage is labeled a one and below the threshold is labeled a zero. Being a real world voltage transmitted down a physical wire the potential to pick up noise is real and that can get in to the analogue components easily and alter the sound.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #30,608 of 42,765

Hey buddy, you are not alone on that experience. Although I haven't tried different USB cables, I do hear a difference between different sources (Fiio X3ii vs iPhone vs Macbook/PC). When I get a chance in the future, I would like to try different USB cables. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #30,609 of 42,765

Meenova Cable:

Mogami Cable:

AudioQuest Forest:

At last... i have done these tests months back :) And still people don't believe that USB cable changes the sound @GRUMPYOLDGUY Are you listening :D

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #30,610 of 42,765
Do you guys test your SATA cables too? Do you test your micro SD cards too?
I've heard Sandisk Extremes have unbelievable imaging. Only after a few weeks of burn in of course.

This is just nuts.

It's an asynchronous DAC !! Do you know what that even means?

USB Data Cables won't make a difference. If it did nothing would work !!!

Have a friend do a double blind test on you, you WILL fail.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #30,612 of 42,765
I test my microSD's but never thought to test my SATA cables? I only use SATA cable that comes with good motherboards.

What do you mean by imaging in microSD context?

I was joking. It's an Async DAC. DATA is copied to it in little chunks, 100% accurately, every time and RECLOCKED out !!!

Do you test the airways when you download a music file over WIFI or LTS.

Let me guess, you folks do test that.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #30,613 of 42,765
Do you guys test your SATA cables too? Do you test your micro SD cards too?
I've heard Sandisk Extremes have unbelievable imaging. Only after a few weeks of burn in of course.

This is just nuts.

It's an asynchronous DAC !! Do you know what that even means?

USB Data Cables won't make a difference. If it did nothing would work !!!

Have a friend do a double blind test on you, you WILL fail.

Exactly!  Thanks for posting this.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #30,615 of 42,765
I have read about this and understand it's a known issue. When mojo is being charged at the far end of being full, I hear the hissing noise.

I can't find the post that mentioned this.

Should I ask for an exchange? Or shall keep it considering it's harmless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back