Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #30,631 of 42,788
  I am using my Mojo as the sound-device for my computer  (i.e. desktop use) both for listening to music (spotify premium/fidelify), and also for playing games and watching videos etc etc etc.

There is 1 thing that annoys me a little bit, and that is that when no audio has been played for a while (say +5 seconds), then any further audio playback is like 0,25-0,50 seconds delayed... it's like the Mojo has gone into a semi-idle state...

For example, when you recieve a message on Steam you normally get a sound-notification. When I recieve a message on steam without listening to anything (other than that) I only hear the last 25% of the sound-notifaction, so it's almost silent actually, it can easily be missed.

I am using Windows 7.

Is this just a normal behaviour of USB Dacs in general ? Or is this something that can be fixed? Or is my Mojo defect? 

I must admit it feels silly to pay for such an expensive DAC and then there are issues like this :S

My PC is top notch performance wise by the way, quality components all the way, I7-cpu etc, Samsung SSD, so it's not that my pc isn't fast enough. I have disabled all power saving features, intel C states, speedsteep etc, tried different usb ports, both 3.0 and 2.0 etc etc, nothing seems to resolve the issue :>

Also tried different cables.. also 100usd expensive QED reference USB cable, which did improve detail seperation by the way

It's because the Mojo has a slight delay due to the extra processing it does.

I programmed foobar2000 to insert a bit of silence before tracks to avoid cutting off the beginning.

But if there's continuous uninterrupted audio like playing a song or video, there should be no delay once it's begun.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #30,633 of 42,788
  All of these cables were purchased to clean up the "charging" whine that I have. I just decided to test them as the actual source to see if there was such a difference. I used to believe whole heartedly that there would be no change in sound. I heard it, and 2 other people who are NOT into quality listening and can care less heard it. I swapped wires back and forth behind their back and they noticed the changes. Does it matter to me that you strongly believe against it? Not at all. I know what I heard and trust that the people who sat with me did as well. None of these cables are expensive. I mean, the Mogami one can be reproduced for $5 or so. The AudioQuest one will be returned as it is too stiff for my use, but I will most likely build something like it in a much shorter and more pliable form. I would like to know if the Mojo truly is Async and can request dropped packets or information from a streaming source (such as a phone) and then re-clock it so that it is a continuous stream with no interference. In that case, I can understand that a cable would make less of a difference. In the end, I'm not trying to convince you to go out and try it, I don't care what you do. What I was stating is that the other people who do claim that USB cables can make a difference... I now believe you. I still won't buy megabuck cables, because if I adjust to the quality of the sound... I'm ok with inferior cables as long as it makes sense to my wallet.

From post #3.

Quote:
  USB is isochronous asynchronous. This means that the FPGA supplies the timing to the source, and incoming USB data is re clocked from the low jitter master clock. So again source jitter is eliminated.

Rob

Regarding dropped packets:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/27630#post_13103256

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #30,634 of 42,788
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if mojo/jotunheim combo allow for balanced output like the mojo/LC combo does? I know the cavalli LC converts the signal input from the mojo to allow a balanced output from the LC. Does the schiit jotunheim do the same?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #30,635 of 42,788
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if mojo/jotunheim combo allow for balanced output like the mojo/LC combo does? I know the cavalli LC converts the signal input from the mojo to allow a balanced output from the LC. Does the schiit jotunheim do the same?

Yes, you can feed the Jotunheim a single-ended input via it's RCA inputs, and still get a proper balanced output at the headphone socket.  I use mine that way.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #30,636 of 42,788

Yes, you can feed the Jotunheim a single-ended input via it's RCA inputs, and still get a proper balanced output at the headphone socket.  I use mine that way.

I wanted to do this with RSA amps (and my Mojo)... are RSA amps relevant anymore? It looks like discussion and Ray building anything new may have stopped a few years ago.

Note: Vendor is taking back my Mojo and replacing it. Hoping the new one is a bit more silent during trickle charging.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #30,637 of 42,788
  I wanted to do this with RSA amps (and my Mojo)... are RSA amps relevant anymore? It looks like discussion and Ray building anything new may have stopped a few years ago.

You'd want to ping Ray and ask if he's still doing his thing ... I imagine he is.

Unless you're talking about one of his non-portable amps, though, I'm not sure what you'd gain by adding one after the Mojo.  Yes, you could get balanced output, but I can't see that being worth it on it's own.  But beyond driving a few very-power-hungry cans more authoritatively excepted, it's not going to get you anything else over just connecting your headphones directly to the Mojo.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #30,638 of 42,788

You'd want to ping Ray and ask if he's still doing his thing ... I imagine he is.

Unless you're talking about one of his non-portable amps, though, I'm not sure what you'd gain by adding one after the Mojo.  Yes, you could get balanced output, but I can't see that being worth it on it's own.  But beyond driving a few very-power-hungry cans more authoritatively excepted, it's not going to get you anything else over just connecting your headphones directly to the Mojo.

It was a thought in passing. I'm no longer looking at this point.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #30,639 of 42,788
Once again, the best way to tell if your (QR coded) Mojo does this:

Mojo powered left powered on.
Mojo connected to computer via USB, but no music playing.
Mojo left charging; noise usually kicks in at some point after the charge light goes white, this is usually within an hour but varies.

Wait, I may have misunderstood all this time. The charge whine is not triggered if one uses optical spdif in for the music signal? But only if one uses USB for the music signal?

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #30,640 of 42,788
I am enjoying my Mojo. The low noise/high resolution does however reveal problems with some sources. I am currently watching a TV series online and there are sound edits in it that are painfully obvious through the Mojo. They raise and lower the level of things like background sounds and the steps are clearly and slightly distractingly audible. This is not really noticeable through lesser equipment but the Mojo tells you all about it. 

I am not complaining, truth is better than lies. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #30,641 of 42,788
  Extremely tempting- limited number of Mojos left, but they are available for $498 currently through Amazon reseller FatWyre for anyone on the fence...

If for what ever reason you don't like the Mojo, FatWyre has an outrageous %20 Restocking Fee !! Try to find dealers that are Fullfilled through Amazon.
See the "Help" Tab when you lookup the FatWyre Vender on Amazon.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #30,642 of 42,788
Wait, I may have misunderstood all this time. The charge whine is not triggered if one uses optical spdif in for the music signal? But only if one uses USB for the music signal?

I get the whine when using Spidf as well. Though, it is nice to be able to plug my SACD player into my Mojo and then out to my LCDs.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #30,643 of 42,788
I get the whine when using Spidf as well. Though, it is nice to be able to plug my SACD player into my Mojo and then out to my LCDs.

S/PDiF (Sony/Phillip Digital interface Format) is both optical and coaxial. So are you saying both to are you saying coaxial?

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #30,644 of 42,788
S/PDiF (Sony/Phillip Digital interface Format) is both optical and coaxial. So are you saying both to are you saying coaxial?

Sorry, Optical input. I've not tried the Coax (I no longer have a cable for that interface).

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #30,645 of 42,788

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Can I ask, if I was to opt for the Jotunheim with the amp/dac combo and still use the mojo for the main dac via the rca inputs will it use the mojo at all for the dac or would the dac inside the Jotunheim take over completely?

Just tossing up whether or not to just get it as an amp only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back