Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #30,646 of 42,788
Thanks so much for the feedback.

Can I ask, if I was to opt for the Jotunheim with the amp/dac combo and still use the mojo for the main dac via the rca inputs will it use the mojo at all for the dac or would the dac inside the Jotunheim take over completely?

Just tossing up whether or not to just get it as an amp only.

You already have the Mojo. Why pay extra for the additional DAC you don't need?

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #30,647 of 42,788

Can I ask, if I was to opt for the Jotunheim with the amp/dac combo and still use the mojo for the main dac via the rca inputs will it use the mojo at all for the dac or would the dac inside the Jotunheim take over completely?

The Mojo can't be used as a transport/passthrough as it has no digital outputs. The whole point of the Mojo is to use its sophisticated DAC. When using any analogue connection (3.5mm from Mojo to RCA input of an amp for example) it will already be converted to an analogue signal. Remember, a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter (sampled data to continuous data). Unless wanting to compare the quality of the DAC in the Jotunheim with the Mojo I'd save your money and just get the amp without the DAC option if you really want to add more components to your chain.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #30,648 of 42,788
You already have the Mojo. Why pay extra for the additional DAC you don't need?

That's true. I'm having hard time deciding between the jot and cavalli lc, I just know that the LC converts the signal from the mojo to give a balanced output. But some people say the jot doesnt do this and others say it does. But the jot offers more in terms of pre amp etc out of the box and at a much more compelling price point.

I'm just concerend if it doesnt convert the signal to give me balanced audio from my mojo to the Jotumheim I was thinking just to get it as dac/amp. But the gentelman a few comments above says he uses it this way with out issue.

But is the cavalli LC better at converting the signal to give balanced with mojo or they both work the same way? I heard you need a balanced dac as well with the Jotumheim in order for this to work as intended.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #30,649 of 42,788

It'll use the Mojo if you select the RCA inputs on the Jotunheim.  It'll use the DAC in the Jotunheim if you select the card input.  So you can have both and switch between them at will.

Unless you're not always going to have the Mojo connected to the Jotunheim though, you don't need the DAC card and could just go with the raw Jotunheim amp.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #30,650 of 42,788
The Mojo can't be used as a transport/passthrough as it has no digital outputs. The whole point of the Mojo is to use its sophisticated DAC. When using any analogue connection (3.5mm from Mojo to RCA input of an amp for example) it will already be converted to an analogue signal. Remember, a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter (sampled data to continuous data). Unless wanting to compare the quality of the DAC in the Jotunheim with the Mojo I'd save your money and just get the amp without the DAC option if you really want to add more components to your chain.

I really wanted to try balanced though with the Mojo as the dac, thats why I'm tossing up between LC and Jot.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #30,651 of 42,788
That's true. I'm having hard time deciding between the jot and cavalli lc, I just know that the LC converts the signal from the mojo to give a balanced output. But some people say the jot doesnt do this and others say it does. But the jot offers more in terms of pre amp etc out of the box and at a much more compelling price point.

I'm just concerend if it doesnt convert the signal to give me balanced audio from my mojo to the Jotumheim I was thinking just to get it as dac/amp. But the gentelman a few comments above says he uses it this way with out issue.

But is the cavalli LC better at converting the signal to give balanced with mojo or they both work the same way? I heard you need a balanced dac as well with the Jotumheim in order for this to work as intended.

The balanced headphone output on the Jotunheim will almost certainly sound different than the single-ended one. So in that sense, it's not an issue. If you want a definite answer on how the technical side of things works here, contact info@schiit.com.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #30,653 of 42,788
The balanced headphone output on the Jotunheim will almost certainly sound different than the single-ended one. So in that sense, it's not an issue. If you want a definite answer on how the technical side of things works here, contact info@schiit.com.

Good point, will do, just thought some guys on here might know.

I will contact schiit.

Thanks again.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #30,654 of 42,788
I really wanted to try balanced though with the Mojo as the dac, thats why I'm tossing up between LC and Jot.

I know. You were asking if the Mojo's DAC will be bypassed. I said no, it can't be when using the Mojo. Purchase the amp you want to test balanced.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #30,656 of 42,788
A song I played just now (click here if you wanna listen) nearly brought me to tears with the Mojo and Koss KTXPRO1.

Has anyone else noticed music sounding better at night? It happens consistently for me. I think it may just be a biology thing. Some also theorize it's related to power lines and whatnot. Anyway, my listening session tonight is sublime. I played music earlier today and it didn't sound nearly as good as now, for whatever reason.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #30,657 of 42,788
A song I played just now (click here if you wanna listen) nearly brought me to tears with the Mojo and Koss KTXPRO1.

Has anyone else noticed music sounding better at night? It happens consistently for me. I think it may just be a biology thing. Some also theorize it's related to power lines and whatnot. Anyway, my listening session tonight is sublime. I played music earlier today and it didn't sound nearly as good as now, for whatever reason.

I don't think it has anything to do with power line but more with reduction in ambience noise as the traffic reduces, significant reduction in noise from neighbor or person staying upstairs.
Also our mind is more relaxed at night and can concentrate more on music

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #30,658 of 42,788
I don't think it has anything to do with power line but more with reduction in ambience noise as the traffic reduces, significant reduction in noise from neighbor or person staying upstairs.
Also our mind is more relaxed at night and can concentrate more on music

That can't be it. I listen loud. I can't even hear my fist slamming against the desk with louder tracks! lol

I do think it's more likely to just be a brain/body phenomenon than anything weird going on with clean/dirty power.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #30,659 of 42,788
  I test my microSD's but never thought to test my SATA cables? I only use SATA cable that comes with good motherboards.

What do you mean by imaging in microSD context?

Lol I'm not sure if this is serious. Maybe you should try Sonys Premium sound SD cards, i hear the soundstage is out of this world.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-claims-high-end-sd-card-offers-premium-sound

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #30,660 of 42,788

That can't be it. I listen loud. I can't even hear my fist slamming against the desk with louder tracks! lol

I do think it's more likely to just be a brain/body phenomenon than anything weird going on with clean/dirty power.

​Some people swear music sounds better at night due to much lower RF/EMI

I have never noticed any difference but what i do know is if I'm not in a good mood or feel unwell everything sounds bad no matter how much it costs. To me music always sounds best im when relaxed and happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back