Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #30,661 of 42,788
Simon, How in the world did that happen ? And you want money back after six months? Come on !

You expect Lavricables not to be biased and selective in his response? In the interest of transparency for this thread I will publish the full transcript of emails to a site in which someone who wishes to take his side might like to see the evidence first. This is not a support experience that enamoured me to the seller of a €100 cable.

Did you read my two lengthy posts in which I described how the cable broke first before the plug came off? Or my point about how the cord in its natural position puts strain on the cable and the port? In the second and third posts Chord themselves warn against this problem and it's why alternative designs like a right-angled plug are recommended (I will post those details to follow). The cable clearly has reliability and longevity issues.

Point 1: I was completely polite and explained fully that the cable stopped working before the plug came off. The plug separated *after* trying to massage the broken port in a desperate attempt to get it functional. I was on a plane and really wanted the music. My brother who was with me is one of the witnesses who saw me restarting my phone and Mojo dozens of times in an effort to get it to work because the cable at that point seemed intact and I was more concerned about a broken Mojo!

After the flight, and still in a desperate attempt to get it to work (yes the Mojo is that addictive) I gave it to him and he must've yanked it or something to break the remaining pins and completely separate the plug.

This is relatively inconsequential since the plug was already broken and it does not validate my consumer rights according to Australian law. I thought the EU had even better protections than Australia but it appears that's not the case. I'm writing to let others know in case they thought buying from from a small seller in Europe gave them better protections.

Point 2: The seller states 6 months but it was actually less than five. This highlights his tendency to twist and distort the facts in his favour.

I don't plan to derail this thread but I do feel very aggrieved by this seller and will provide the facts and argue my case, which I believe I have done.

There are many other makers of similar cables out there and nearly all of them are cheaper and I plan to get one that has a right-angled plug so that strain on the cable and ports is minimised and is instead much more absorbed by the bend in the cable.

Point 3: I gave the seller credit where due and I generously offered the broken cable on here to anyone that wants to repair it for $30 US. Instead the seller rudely suggested I mistreated the cable without providing any logical evidence as to why I'd do that.

Point 4: The seller did not state that return shipping was included (but now does in this thread) so he has changed the story for the purposes of this thread. In all honesty I probably would've happily accepted those terms and this whole dispute would've never happened! He also still refuses to expedite the process if I were to go ahead with the repair.

I just realised that another option is to seek resolution through PayPal.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #30,662 of 42,788
Hi WayTooCrazy,

Are you saying you heard Better Sounding with AQ Forest Micro USB Cable compare to Meenova Micro USB Cable while using them as Charging Cable?

I'm do encounter better sounding on one Side when using USB C Cable (USB C is reversible) to charge my MOJO.

I tried 5 different MicroUSB cables as charging cables. I used a PalmPre 1A charger, a Samsung 2A charger, a Sony Xperia Charger (don't remember the amperage), a Jawbone 1A charger, and finally picked up an Anker PowerPlug 2 charger and PowerLine cable. Nothing stopped the whine, but it is when hitting "trickle" charge that it makes the noise. If I play music, it dies down to almost inaudible, but during silent passages and when I turn it off and on... it changes pitch as well. When "done" trickle charging, the Mojo will remain silent. I've re-linked to my videos here...

Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #30,663 of 42,788
I am enjoying my Mojo. The low noise/high resolution does however reveal problems with some sources. I am currently watching a TV series online and there are sound edits in it that are painfully obvious through the Mojo. They raise and lower the level of things like background sounds and the steps are clearly and slightly distractingly audible. This is not really noticeable through lesser equipment but the Mojo tells you all about it. 

I am not complaining, truth is better than lies. 

If you try listening to sporting broadcasts, which include a feed of the crowd noise, the extra clarity in the audio does help to make it feel like you are physically at the event.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #30,664 of 42,788
Hi WayTooCrazy,

Are you saying you heard Better Sounding with AQ Forest Micro USB Cable compare to Meenova Micro USB Cable while using them as Charging Cable?

I'm do encounter better sounding on one Side when using USB C Cable (USB C is reversible) to charge my MOJO.

No. It was running off battery. The Meenova cable was purchased because of how it would connect my tablet to Mojo. I purchased the Mojo to accompany my tablet as transportable, not my phone. The LG V20 has excellent audio for a phone and I find no need to pair it. The other cables were built/purchased for charging due to suggestions in this thread. I just decided to try them in the signal path since I already had them.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #30,665 of 42,788
As a new Mojo user, I spent the last day trying it out a really do like how it sounds, looks, and feels. A great product (especially from the comments I read in this tread and elsewhere).

A few noob questions: when I gently shake the Mojo, I hear a soft rattling sound and then I realized that it is the globes over the color lights. Is that normal or could my unit have a defect?

The other quirk was that when I was using the Mojo with my iPhone 6 for a run this morning, I placed the iPhone and the Mojo into my waist runners pack (my daughter calls it a fanny pack :) with the Chord-supplied USB cable and the Apple - Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter (I think that is the CCK). Once it was all in place and I was ready to go the music suddenly stopped coming out of my IEMs and started playing on the iPhone speaker. After a few attempts I left without the Mojo. Once I returned, I applied the cables and everything was fine. The pack was a bit tight so I wonder if the Mojo USB socket disconnects under some very a mild stress. Also, the CCK and USB cable lengths don't give much play. I did swap the Chord-supplied USB with a generic USB cable that didn't work at all so I thought the Chord-supplied USB is something other then generic.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a new running pack is in my future.

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #30,667 of 42,788
  As a new Mojo user, I spent the last day trying it out a really do like how it sounds, looks, and feels. A great product (especially from the comments I read in this tread and elsewhere).

A few noob questions: when I gently shake the Mojo, I hear a soft rattling sound and then I realized that it is the globes over the color lights. Is that normal or could my unit have a defect?

The other quirk was that when I was using the Mojo with my iPhone 6 for a run this morning, I placed the iPhone and the Mojo into my waist runners pack (my daughter calls it a fanny pack :) with the Chord-supplied USB cable and the Apple - Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter (I think that is the CCK). Once it was all in place and I was ready to go the music suddenly stopped coming out of my IEMs and started playing on the iPhone speaker. After a few attempts I left without the Mojo. Once I returned, I applied the cables and everything was fine. The pack was a bit tight so I wonder if the Mojo USB socket disconnects under some very a mild stress. Also, the CCK and USB cable lengths don't give much play. I did swap the Chord-supplied USB with a generic USB cable that didn't work at all so I thought the Chord-supplied USB is something other then generic.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a new running pack is in my future.

Thanks.

The globes will rattle slightly on mine. Others have also reported this, so I don't consider it a defect.

If the output switches from the Mojo to the iPhone speakers, this is controlled by the iOS. This is usually fixed by restarting the iPhone. Sometimes it will require a reset (hold down both the power button and the home button until you see the Apple logo. No data or apps will be lost in the process!). 

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #30,668 of 42,788
it seems this little beauty is becoming my small desktop system too. my fiio x3 ii gen and mojo stack is so good I can anytime attach it to small diy single driver speaker and enjoy the music in my living room .

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #30,669 of 42,788
I know the Mojo costs a lot more, and I know it isn't meant for that, but I was trying out a friend's fidget cube, if any of you know what it is, and I must say, the turning the mojo's balls is FAR more satisfying than that fidget cube :p

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #30,670 of 42,788
can anyone verify if a shielded cable can minimise or prevent radio interference when using the mojo ? 

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #30,671 of 42,788
Not in my experience no, only a longer cable seems to make any difference so that the phone and Mojo can be placed further apart. Some say a ferrite core works too but I've never tried one of these.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #30,672 of 42,788
  Not in my experience no, only a longer cable seems to make any difference so that the phone and Mojo can be placed further apart. Some say a ferrite core works too but I've never tried one of these.

:frowning2: 

I was thinking of getting one to connect to my iphone and/or ipad at my bedside. 

sigh. 

i don't think i can deal with the interference.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #30,673 of 42,788

I was thinking of getting one to connect to my iphone and/or ipad at my bedside. 

sigh. 

The iphone does seem prone to interference, but there can be other contributory factors, such as how far your phone is from the phone mast (the farther away, the more the phone has to ramp up its signal, to communicate with the mast).
Even so there are several things that you can try to reduce the issue of RFi:
  1. longer cable
  2. longer shielded cable
  3. ferrite cores
  4. this solution using thin ferrite sheeting, which was reported to remove virtually all RFI http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/28935#post_13164965

So don't despair yet, all is not lost. 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #30,675 of 42,788

sigh. 

get a Poly when it's released and say good bye to interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back