Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #28,636 of 42,765
I'll be buying a poly; having said that I think the retail price is definitely wrong and can't imagine it what Chord were aiming for.
Obviously Brexit/currency has played a part, but if it were looking more expensive than the Mojo most manufacturers would compromise somewhere (profit, features, quality), but we all know Chord doesn't compromise!

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #28,637 of 42,765
Since the core team that has to generate all this is lucky to be getting 4 hours of sleep a night right now, sit back, enjoy the **amazing** titles at Sound Liaison and Blue Coast Records that they're practically giving away right now, pop some popcorn, and wait for additional info on the new goodies to come out.

----------------
sound liason and blue coast eh? Will check them out thanks...chesky records from the ces show is supposedly to make some signif announcement

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #28,638 of 42,765
Here's my take on the Poly. Before I begin, I would just like to make it clear that I have nothing but respect for Chord's products. I do not have experience with the higher end stuff, but the Hugo and the Mojo have impressed me so much, and I absolutely love them. A couple of trained engineers I know who happen to be audio enthusiasts also have nothing but praise for Rob Watts and the stuff he says regarding his technology. I do not claim however, to be fully versed in the techy side of things.

I was really, really looking forward to the Poly, and i to be honest the pricing was quite a shock to me, and I was rather disappointed, because I could not see myself forking that money out for a transport which only works for the mojo. I do not doubt what John has said about the mojo, that it is technologically advanced and difficult to engineer. However, I personally (and probably many others who are unhappy about the price), find it difficult to justify that the technology in the poly is worth more than the technology of the mojo. Sure, it's probably also true that the Mojo could have been priced much higher, but the fact is that it isn't. 

I think the main reason why people are unhappy with the price, is this. The mojo was deliberately priced as such, by Chord, to make it a product for the masses. Mind you it's cheap only to us crazy fanatics, but nonetheless, it was extremely fairly priced, and we have nothing to complain about. Problem here, is that people who buy the mojo buy it expecting to have a reasonably priced solution to fantastic portable sound. Now, buying the poly requires them to not just top up, but more than double what they would pay in total, and the whole package is not at a price that most mojo owners are willing and able to pay. It almost feels like it's going against the whole idea of having amazing sound made affordable and reachable.

That said, I am in no way criticising chord, or any of their products, simply the pricing of the Poly. That's all. I've not completely put off the poly at this point, and will still be extremely interested should it really sound far better than any DAP on the market as a transport, but I find the pricing rather too high at this point. In any case, I still do hope the poly is a success and would still love to try it.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #28,639 of 42,765
Here's my take on the Poly. Before I begin, I would just like to make it clear that I have nothing but respect for Chord's products. I do not have experience with the higher end stuff, but the Hugo and the Mojo have impressed me so much, and I absolutely love them. A couple of trained engineers I know who happen to be audio enthusiasts also have nothing but praise for Rob Watts and the stuff he says regarding his technology. I do not claim however, to be fully versed in the techy side of things.

I was really, really looking forward to the Poly, and i to be honest the pricing was quite a shock to me, and I was rather disappointed, because I could not see myself forking that money out for a transport which only works for the mojo. I do not doubt what John has said about the mojo, that it is technologically advanced and difficult to engineer. However, I personally (and probably many others who are unhappy about the price), find it difficult to justify that the technology in the poly is worth more than the technology of the mojo. Sure, it's probably also true that the Mojo could have been priced much higher, but the fact is that it isn't. 

I think the main reason why people are unhappy with the price, is this. The mojo was deliberately priced as such, by Chord, to make it a product for the masses. Mind you it's cheap only to us crazy fanatics, but nonetheless, it was extremely fairly priced, and we have nothing to complain about. Problem here, is that people who buy the mojo buy it expecting to have a reasonably priced solution to fantastic portable sound. Now, buying the poly requires them to not just top up, but more than double what they would pay in total, and the whole package is not at a price that most mojo owners are willing and able to pay. It almost feels like it's going against the whole idea of having amazing sound made affordable and reachable.

That said, I am in no way criticising chord, or any of their products, simply the pricing of the Poly. That's all. I've not completely put off the poly at this point, and will still be extremely interested should it really sound far better than any DAP on the market as a transport, but I find the pricing rather too high at this point. In any case, I still do hope the poly is a success and would still love to try it.
you feel better now?

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #28,640 of 42,765
Because I want to use my phone as a phone. Which means stacking with rubber band is out. Plus it only has 16GB

I'm with you on this. Using your everyday phone in a stack is a PITA IMHO. I use an old 5S that I happen to have. Probably not the best solution possible both I happened to have it and it works great. I haven't found the need for vast storage yet but if I do then either a phone with SD card facility or maybe even the Poly. If I can afford it! :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #28,641 of 42,765
It doesn't take direct, abusive behavior to be disrespectful.

Someone on this thread in his/her anger about the price suggested it was a fluke that the Mojo sold so well ... I couldn't believe someone could make such a comment. As to the thickness of John's skin, it's not relevant. We are all different and have different abilities. John's happens to be running a highly successful company with sales in the tens of millions, if not more.

I don't know if you are referring to my post when I suggested that the pricing of the Mojo was almost a fluke. If so you misinterpret what I meant.
Simply that I am amazed and grateful that Chord were able and prepared to release such a high end product at such a relatively affordable price point.
I certainly meant no disrespect to Chord or the Mojo. One of my very favorite audio purchases.
If I could afford the Poly. I would buy it. I can't afford it at the moment. That is my problem. Not Chord's !!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #28,642 of 42,765
I'll be buying a poly; having said that I think the retail price is definitely wrong and can't imagine it what Chord were aiming for.
Obviously Brexit/currency has played a part, but if it were looking more expensive than the Mojo most manufacturers would compromise somewhere (profit, features, quality), but we all know Chord doesn't compromise!

It would be interesting to know how much a complete new product, of single construction would cost:  mojo and quality dap together, made in the UK, with the same level of manufacturing construction excellence.   

Contextually, I  am comparing the cost of the combo versus  some of the very high priced AK models of DAPs.  AK has a rep for high prices, but few argue against their quality.  

As things are now, we, the consumer, are given a choice:   DAC only (mojo) or adding on module, giving us both far below the cost of a single unit like the AK high line model.  Both companies known for quality.  

It would be interesting to compare the Mojo/poly combo, quality/price/choice  versus the top of the line AK model.   

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #28,643 of 42,765
Maybe some Mojo owners would be interested in something similar to this, if such a device contained some buttons to select tracks etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/1620#post_13050516

Possibly such a device does not exist, but I do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the devices available for DIYers.
I am just trying to throw an idea into the pot.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #28,644 of 42,765
If we use US dollars, the retail price of the Mojo and the Poly is the same, $599. If we use pounds, the Mojo's price is 399 pounds. 50% of the Mojo price is 199.5 pounds. Thus, your assertion is correct if the retail on the Poly is 598.5 pounds. It's not, it's 499 pounds. John has already explained that due to the Brexit vote last year, the pound has devalued 20-25%. That is the reason why in the U.K. the Poly is 100 pounds higher than the Mojo. Chord has no control over monetary policy or the exchange rate.

If you're talking about a different currency, please keep in mind that what a Chord distributor, say in India as an example, charges for a product is its decision, not Chord's. They are the sanctioned distributor, and although Chord may suggest a retail price in India, again as an example, ultimately the distributor decides since they are responsible for inventory, marketing, sales, and service and whatever costs that are associated with these duties.

What i dont get is why though.  Chord are a British company the products are made in Britain so Chord will deal in £s how does Britain leaving the EU (which hasnt happened yet) mean the £ price in their own country goes up yet the $ price remains the same (if we compare to mojo pricing)

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #28,645 of 42,765
Imagine how John must have felt preparing for CES with three new products, one of which is the Hugo 2, a surefire hit (I'm going to buy one) that's going to create a lot of excitement.

He gets to the show all pumped up about the release news, and then starts reading comments based on conjecture and ignorance ... it was bound to burst his bubble. I'd react too to such gibberish.

The product is made in England. If Chord wanted to, they could have had a Chinese firm build it for half of what it cost them. I respect Chord for not buckling to the pressure to outsource its product. I'm sure they are proud it's built in their homeland and I'm also sure its employees are happy too, especially with all the excitement Chord enjoys these days from hitting so many homeruns.

No one has to agree with Chord's pricing policies, and yes, it's okay to criticize its action. Just do it with the respect that these guys deserve.

Very good point.These Chord products are made in UK not china.They are not outsourcing like most companies.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #28,646 of 42,765
Maybe some Mojo owners would be interested in something similar to this, if such a device contained some buttons to select tracks etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/1620#post_13050516

Possibly such a device does not exist, but I do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the devices available for DIYers.
I am just trying to throw an idea into the pot.
regular_smile%20.gif

Anyone chime in on how the M1 sounds with Mojo?

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #28,647 of 42,765
 What i dont get is why though.  Chord are a British company the products are made in Britain so Chord will deal in £s how does Britain leaving the EU (which hasnt happened yet) mean the £ price in their own country goes up yet the $ price remains the same (if we compare to mojo pricing)

You forget that Chord needs to buy processors, coprocessors, rights for the usage of Bluetooth protocols, APTx, Airplay, etc....Most of these are certainly in USD or EURO....They already did a hell of a job keeping the price of the Mojo on the same level since the GBP fell down....If they would have increased the price as all the other manufacturers have done recently in GB, there would be some outcry around here ...

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #28,648 of 42,765
Which is the minimal expression of Mojo-compliant transport?
My specs are:
- able to run Tidal so I guess needs Android or iOS
- able to run an audio app able to decode local lossless hi-res 24/96-192 files in format like WAV, FLAC, etc.
- at least one digital output to connect to Mojo (USB or Coax or TOSlink)
- (micro) SD slot 128-256GB capacity compliant
- wifi for upload/download
- Chromecast compliant
Does it exist? If so, which are the brand/mode and price?
Now I am using an IPod Touch 5G 64GB using only this, not any other app, that is the reason I am looking for an alternative. I paid 335 euro.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #28,649 of 42,765
chord won't dare to release anything with screen because screen are easily breakable . if at all they would, it would br of extremely well built, making it even more expensive than poly. after all, all the chord dacs are tank proof. that is the main reason the module does not have any screen . imho poly is a bit over priced but not much , considering that if it can replace micro rendu like devices. waiting for its comparison with micro rendu. the biggest plus point of ploy is that it is battery powered so it does not need any expensive lps . having said that many like me will be happy with fiio x3 ii or shanling m1 as transport to mojo.

Chord Dave has a screen FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back