Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #28,606 of 42,765
What if they pull some similar ******** later?

Mojo was my first Chord purchase and now I'm not so sure. Leaning towards a low end MSB or Berkeley.

The Dave is a state of the art DAC with a price to match. Anybody who can afford one of these is not going to be put off by the cost of any expansion of capabilities. Besides, doesn't the Dave have the functionality of a Poly already? I've not looked at it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #28,607 of 42,765
I'm wondering if all the comment about the Poly price is just an attempt to get Chord to rethink the price. I don't think that's going to happen, no matter how much Chord likes to get feedback from its customers. They knew going in what price point the Poly would likely be set at.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #28,608 of 42,765
It's not a case of anyone being a sycophant, just because they don't see things the same way as you do.

You know as well as I do that what one person sees value in, another won't, and so it goes, ad infinitum.

Personally, I view high-end audiophile cables with strong skepticism, but others sing their praises to the rooftops.

My point, earlier was that clearly, you have found a combo that does suit your needs, so clearly Chord have done something right, in your life, even if Poly isn't that something:

"Perfect" (your words; not mine) really doesn't sound so awfully, terribly bad :happy_face1:

And I made my displeasure clear. They did the Mojo right but don't expect Mojo owners to go for the Poly too.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #28,609 of 42,765
The Dave is a state of the art DAC with a price to match. Anybody who can afford one of these is not going to be put off by the cost of any expansion of capabilities. Besides, doesn't the Dave have the functionality of a Poly already? I've not looked at it.

If I had to pay 8k for a Dave and 12k on top for expansion, I'll just buy something else. I promise you a lot of Dave owners will pay the 8k but not 12k for the expansion.

Your example reminds me of Brabus, a Mercedes tuning house that charges more than the price of the E class for improvements.Their percentage of marketshare amongst Mercedes owners is very low,even amongst the most top factory specced E class owners.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #28,610 of 42,765
If I had to pay 8k for a Dave and 12k on top for expansion, I'll just buy something else. I promise you a lot of Dave owners will pay the 8k but not 12k for the expansion.

Your example reminds me of Brabus, a Mercedes tuning house that charges more than the price of the E class for improvements.Their percentage of marketshare amongst Mercedes owners is very low,even amongst the most top factory specced E class owners.

Good example. The moral of the story is that just because you have the ability to spend money, doesn't mean you have to spend it carelessly.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #28,612 of 42,765

Believe me, the market for $8,000 DACs is for enthusiasts, just like the market for Mercedes performance tuning.

How do you know that Chord is going to charge $12k for an expansion, or for that matter, whether they even plan to offer such an expansion. This is pure conjecture based on zero evidence.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #28,613 of 42,765
I don't see how it's such a stretch to think that someone who could afford a Dave wouldn't buy a poly if they thought it was over priced. I've seen people buy $1k+ iems here, and complain about buying a set of tips for $15 that has sizes they don't want/need because they don't fit. People can get funny with their money and how it's spent or wasted.

GRUMPYOLDGUY You are definitely correct, Chord did not appear happy to hear the complaints about the pricing of the Poly. I feel there were some harsh comments made (not to me, but to others).

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #28,614 of 42,765
Sure hasn't seemed like that recently. I wasn't the only one who noticed a flurry of harsh responses to feedback.

Imagine how John must have felt preparing for CES with three new products, one of which is the Hugo 2, a surefire hit (I'm going to buy one) that's going to create a lot of excitement.

He gets to the show all pumped up about the release news, and then starts reading comments based on conjecture and ignorance ... it was bound to burst his bubble. I'd react too to such gibberish.

The product is made in England. If Chord wanted to, they could have had a Chinese firm build it for half of what it cost them. I respect Chord for not buckling to the pressure to outsource its product. I'm sure they are proud it's built in their homeland and I'm also sure its employees are happy too, especially with all the excitement Chord enjoys these days from hitting so many homeruns.

No one has to agree with Chord's pricing policies, and yes, it's okay to criticize its action. Just do it with the respect that these guys deserve.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #28,615 of 42,765
Believe me, the market for $8,000 DACs is for enthusiasts, just like the market for Mercedes performance tuning.

How do you know that Chord is going to charge $12k for an expansion, or for that matter, whether they even plan to offer such an expansion. This is pure conjecture based on zero evidence.

I'm comparing price relative to the price of the item.

If Poly is 50% more on top of the price of a Mojo, how much would a Dave add on be logically? I have never claimed to use the Poly with the Dave.

Regarding enthusiasts spending more than 100% of the price of their Mercedes, they just buy an AMG or upgrade to a Maserati Quattroporte. There's a reason why Brabus doesn't have a lot of customers for their cars and have been reduced to selling accessories and tuning packages instead of complete cars.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #28,616 of 42,765
Imagine how John must have felt preparing for CES with three new products, one of which is the Hugo 2, a surefire hit (I'm going to buy one) that's going to create a lot of excitement.

He gets to the show all pumped up about the release news, and then starts reading comments based on conjecture and ignorance ... it was bound to burst his bubble. I'd react too to such gibberish.

The product is made in England. If Chord wanted to, they could have had a Chinese firm build it for half of what it cost them. I respect Chord for not buckling to the pressure to outsource its product. I'm sure they are proud it's built in their homeland and I'm also sure its employees are happy too, especially with all the excitement Chord enjoys these days from hitting so many homeruns.

No one has to agree with Chord's pricing policies, and yes, it's okay to criticize its action. Just do it with the respect that these guys deserve.

Respect goes both ways.  This isn't the first time John has reacted this way to a customer disagreeing with him.  He definitely needs to get thicker skin especially in his line of business..  

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #28,617 of 42,765
harpo1 Agreed 100%. I've dealt with the public in several of my businesses and have been abused in far worse ways for far less things I've said or done... Or when I've said or done nothing at all. Customers can be very abusive, but you can't let it get to you and if it does, you shouldn't show it.

I don't see where people have been abusive towards him though. Yes, theyve complained about the price, but they haven't attacked him personally.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #28,618 of 42,765
Good example. The moral of the story is that just because you have the ability to spend money, doesn't mean you have to spend it carelessly.

I'm sorry, I have to comment on this. Who arbitrates how one should spend their earnings or what constitutes as careless spending?

Conspicuous consumption by those who are well off has been going on for thousands of years.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #28,619 of 42,765
Are people sitting listening to music and have a need to use their fingers so they get on HF just to chat? Just state the same things 1 million times.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #28,620 of 42,765

Exactly, no brand name is worth my money unless it's really worth my money.

No matter how much badging you use, an Audi Q7 will always be a glorified VW, not a built from scratch Audi like the R8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back