Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #28,666 of 42,765
I must say I am very excited by the Poly. I was expecting 3 individual products, an all in-one is more then I was expecting.
Being able to put the mojo on a inside pocket and forget about it is huge plus.
I also cant think of a time when i dont have my phone, or a computer close at hand.... Except the pool.

Hmmm when is the water-proofing module coming out?

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #28,667 of 42,765

Just received the cable.  It works!  Just a 6" cable, no CCK needed. http://www.head-fi.org/t/830035/meenova-lightning-to-microusb-cable-for-usb-dac-camera-midi-keyboard-connect-to-iphone-ipad-ipod

Sorry for the poor photo, my iPhone is my only 'camera', so I literally took a snap using photo booth on my mac.  

My Taobao cable stopped working reliably recently(at the same time as my CCK, but a reset/reboot fixed the CCK but not the Taobao cable).  On this recommendation I ordered the Meenova cable (6" - http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html) from Amazon and it works and "fits" my stack better than the CCK + Chord cable.  And, for the price, recommended!  (Mython, I didn't see this in the 3rd post, but might make a good addition...for as long as people use cables until Poly is out. 
beerchug.gif
)

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #28,668 of 42,765

My Taobao cable stopped working reliably recently(at the same time as my CCK, but a reset/reboot fixed the CCK but not the Taobao cable).  On this recommendation I ordered the Meenova cable (6" - http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html) from Amazon and it works and "fits" my stack better than the CCK + Chord cable.  And, for the price, recommended!  (Mython, I didn't see this in the 3rd post, but might make a good addition...for as long as people use cables until Poly is out. 
beerchug.gif
)

I ordered this cable too and it works great with my iPhone 7 Plus and the Mojo, and makes for a nice portable set up. The only thing the Apple Lightning to USB connector adds for me is the ability to charge and listen to the iPhone at the same time so I use that mostly when I'm at home. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #28,669 of 42,765
I must say I am very excited by the Poly. I was expecting 3 individual products, an all in-one is more then I was expecting.
Being able to put the mojo on a inside pocket and forget about it is huge plus.
I also cant think of a time when i dont have my phone, or a computer close at hand.... Except the pool.

Hmmm when is the water-proofing module coming out?

It's out now and I have them in stock for only £79 ($99)*, including shipping ANYWHERE!  PM me...

"Bagy(tm) for Mojo"        *Bagy for Mojo+Poly, add £10/$10.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #28,670 of 42,765

Just received the cable.  It works!  Just a 6" cable, no CCK needed. http://www.head-fi.org/t/830035/meenova-lightning-to-microusb-cable-for-usb-dac-camera-midi-keyboard-connect-to-iphone-ipad-ipod

Sorry for the poor photo, my iPhone is my only 'camera', so I literally took a snap using photo booth on my mac.  

My Taobao cable stopped working reliably recently(at the same time as my CCK, but a reset/reboot fixed the CCK but not the Taobao cable).  On this recommendation
I ordered the Meenova cable (6" - http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html) from Amazon and it works and "fits" my stack better than the CCK + Chord cable.  And, for the price, recommended!  (Mython, I didn't see this in the 3rd post, but might make a good addition...for as long as people use cables until Poly is out. 
beerchug.gif
)

Mmmm... I did note that it was mentioned a week or so ago, but I've held-off adding it to post #3, partly because it's not very short, and (mostly) until seeing a few success reports.

If you noticed this:

Just to close the loop, I received ZY Cables' Lightning to MicroUSB cable yesterday (along w/ AQ Nighthawks! :)). Purchased here. So far, no issues on iPhone 7+ 128GB running iOS 10.1.1. Sample rate reflected correctly on Mojo when playing high-res from Onkyo HF, NePlayer and HibyMusic. Seems to work well (have been running in Airplane mode so don't know about RF rejection). Will see what happens with the next iOS update... Thanks all.

https://youtu.be/7pS5tMdFad8

Just got the same cable.. but its not working for some reason..

This is supposed to be simple plug and play right?

From watching my video do you think its defected? if it is I think ill have to ask for replacement..

Interesting.

You are now the 2nd person to find that that (seemingly-generic) cable doesn't work. I say 'seemingly-generic', because both the 'HiFi Spot' and 'XY' offerings look absolutely identical, as far as I can tell.

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/28275#post_13142121

I have just made a note of this in post #3, and sincere apologies to anyone, including yourself, who may have bought this cable after reading about it in post #3 - it has worked fine for many people, during 2016, and it is only within the past week that anyone has reported any problems with it. Whether the cable itself is faulty, or if it perhaps uses a CCK-circumvention method that Apple have managed to make iOS reject, is not yet clear.

then you'll understand my caution - I am wary that perhaps Apple may finally have found a way to invalidate the function of some CCK-circumvention cables. I suspect we may witness more CCK-circumvention cables experiencing problems, during 2017. I sincerely hope not, but we'll just have to wait and see...

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #28,671 of 42,765

Mmmm... I did note that it was mentioned a week or so ago, but I've held-off adding it to post #3, partly because it's not very short, and (mostly) until seeing a few success reports.

If you noticed this:

then you'll understand my caution - I am wary that perhaps Apple may finally have found a way to invalidate the function of some CCK-circumvention cables. I suspect we may witness more CCK-circumvention cables experiencing problems, during 2017. I sincerely hope not, but we'll just have to wait and see...

Makes sense.  Some of their other cable or Mfi certified, but this one doesn't say it, so maybe they are using the same legit chip?

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #28,672 of 42,765
I personally don't bother to bother with Apple and all these stupid cables certification thingy. Get a proper DAP to lessen all these worries, the world had enough worries already why still bother about this silly cable thingy?!

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #28,673 of 42,765
I personally don't bother to bother with Apple and all these stupid cables certification thingy. Get a proper DAP to lessen all these worries, the world had enough worries already why still bother about this silly cable thingy?!

Exactly why we have the Poly.  Get rid of those cable thingies.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #28,674 of 42,765
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #28,676 of 42,765
  I don't know ... I am still old school on the cable things ... Cable sound still > Wireless sound ... Speed much faster then wireless ...

So, I've recently been streaming uncompressed (AIFF) files to my iPhone and feeding that to Mojo.  Sounds great, and I'm assuming this is bit perfect (using Evermusic app), and no possibility of "cable" sound or RF interference, since the wifi drive (Asus Wireless Duo), iPhone, and Mojo are all on battery.  Poly would be similar, and further eliminate the cable between the iPhone and the Mojo (in fact, taking the iPhone out of the equation all together).  Shouldn't  that be better?  It would not be like Netflix, which up/down samples based on your speed.  If you do not get buffering/dropouts, then you should be getting the full, complete file, correct?  (Still new to this, but want to have great sound with simple implementation.)

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #28,678 of 42,765
I could quote John Ruskin about making things cheaper but seems pointless ... however this is simple, yes we could have made it cheaper ....there are cheap Chinese chips that have some of the functionality that we could have used. But Poly wasn't about making something to a low price with cababilities similar to competitors. Poly's development was about making Poly to have truly state of the art streaming and play back capabilities in a tiny package. To do that and give it seamless high speed virtually instantaneous performance does cost a little more than some of you would have expected but we think you all will appreciate we did the right thing and made the right choices when you get to use it.

With all my respect. Obviously, something went wrong with the Poly. We, the users, are not happy. A product has to be attractive by Itself. We need to feel the desire of purchasing and having the product. You guys at chord can justify your decision, but that is the point, you shouldn't be justifying and explaining anything if the whole package (device, features, price) was right. I understand there is a state of the art technology involved. I also understand there are much, much more expensive audio equipment out there. The problem, in my opinion is that the Poly was targeted to the wrong user segment. You can reply to me and say how wrong I am, but the truth is that the Poly hasn't created the same impact and excitement as the Mojo.

Perhaps if a similar product was created as an add on for the Hugo with the same price as the Poly, it would have been an instant success. If you think about it, the add on would have been a fraction of the price of the Hugo.

Probably the problem is not the Poly, the problem is many of us, including myself. The average guy, with average money, with a huge love for audio. Probably the problem was targeting the Poly to the average guy, like me.

If you need to explain and defend the Poly, something just went wrong. Don't you think?

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #28,679 of 42,765

So, I've recently been streaming uncompressed (AIFF) files to my iPhone and feeding that to Mojo.  Sounds great, and I'm assuming this is bit perfect (using Evermusic app), and no possibility of "cable" sound or RF interference, since the wifi drive (Asus Wireless Duo), iPhone, and Mojo are all on battery.  Poly would be similar, and further eliminate the cable between the iPhone and the Mojo (in fact, taking the iPhone out of the equation all together).  Shouldn't  that be better?  It would not be like Netflix, which up/down samples based on your speed.  If you do not get buffering/dropouts, then you should be getting the full, complete file, correct?  (Still new to this, but want to have great sound with simple implementation.)

I am always a believer on the cable > wireless since the day I started building with my dad our first radio, tv, washing machine, dryer & even fridge and then we got into wireless... I understand technologies are improving fast now a days, wireless are the future, but data transfer consistency still have to be the old hard wired cable. wireless can be affect by to much variance (i.e your home wall type, your neighbor next door running high watt electricity, microwave, and temperature of the house, ext..) have you guys ever have cellphone drop out? airplay sound drop? watching Netflix slow buffering? sometimes isn't just because your home connection are effect by the variance I list above, the company behind is effect by it as well. when you look on the street, there is still those power pole standing there hosting the hard wires. make you think why can't they change them to wireless one day? technologies are able to make wireless happen just cast too much for normal people to accept even for the government to make improvement, so for now I am still stick with the hard wire more then wireless, unless I have to go wireless there no other choice.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #28,680 of 42,765

I am always a believer on the cable > wireless since the day I started building with my dad our first radio, tv, washing machine, dryer & even fridge and then we got into wireless... I understand technologies are improving fast now a days, wireless are the future, but data transfer consistency still have to be the old hard wired cable. wireless can be affect by to much variance (i.e your home wall type, your neighbor next door running high watt electricity, microwave, and temperature of the house, ext..) have you guys ever have cellphone drop out? airplay sound drop? watching Netflix slow buffering? sometimes isn't just because your home connection are effect by the variance I list above, the company behind is effect by it as well. when you look on the street, there is still those power pole standing there hosting the hard wires. make you think why can't they change them to wireless one day? technologies are able to make wireless happen just cast too much for normal people to accept even for the government to make improvement, so for now I am still stick with the hard wire more then wireless, unless I have to go wireless there no other choice.

That is what I am trying to determine. If there are no dropouts, does that necessarily mean the external wifi disk is streaming perfectly?  Netflix creates different streams for various connection speeds.  My wireless external drive does not (I think), so wouldn't it be a bit perfect transfer of the original, uncompressed AIFF file to the phone / Mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back