Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 9, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #27,091 of 42,765
I just don't get how 3 different cables and 3 different chargers could cease to work at the same time even if they worked properly before. Especially cables... Don't get me wrong, I don't want to seem rude.

As said previously I hope to get an USB tester ASAP so that I can measure exactly what happens on the charging side.

Not sure if you've tried this in your troubleshooting;

1) Charge the Mojo till full (white light off) while off
2) Turn on Mojo (with power still connected)
3) Listen to music as you always do
4) After 3 or 4 hours, unplug the power source and identify the battery status of the Mojo (should still be blue if net power draw. If green or yellow, could mean that the charging circuit isn't engaging properly)

If the above has been done, could you relate your experience? Thanks in advance

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #27,092 of 42,765

4) After 3 or 4 hours, unplug the power source and identify the battery status of the Mojo (should still be blue if net power draw. If green or yellow, could mean that the charging circuit isn't engaging properly)

You can also connect the charger after it's fully charged and turned on. It will show white light and when you turn the mojo off, the white light will also turn off after a couple of seconds. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #27,093 of 42,765
  I was wondering about the fr-response of the Moo recently. I looked in the third post and found graphs which showed it to have a flat response.

However I recall some graphs from ages ago that showed responses a little different. I remember them having a black background, but could not find these graphs in third post. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I don't know. I remember these graphs appearing in this thread way back in time. 

Anyway, now I have found these graphs on the Amazon.de website, and the first review of the Mojo. (I can't copy or save the pictures of the graphs to post here.) You'll have to check the link if you want to see, sorry. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0171LBE78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These graphs show that the Mojo response is not flat and varies with different headphones.

I don't have an issue with the fr-response at all. However when you check the links of the graphs of the Mojo in the third post, they show flat-response. (Like this example - http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-mojo-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements#Kv87gUazshRwodFk.97)

Does anyone therefor know which graphs are right. (If I recall correct, the black background graphs that I am quoting from Amazon.de review, were Rob Watts's. I might be wrong though.)

I need to point also that I realise that the graphs show the Mojo only to be out by small db. Nothing to worry about. Am just curious how we have different results.

Edited. Sorry I forgot the link for the Mojo on Amazon.de. Added it now.

Edit again: My Mojo just arrived from Amazon.de within one day and about fourteen hours, to the UK. Cheapest post system: fast or what!
basshead.gif

The graphs with the black background are just plain wrong.

Mojo has a very large delay due to its WTA filter, and this delay, unless you take account of it in the test equipment, gives the wrong plots. Mojo's frequency response is accurate to +/- 0.1 dB 20 to 20 kHz 300 ohms. For low impedances HF does fall slightly - 33 ohms is  flat at 10 kHz, but -0.3 dB at 20 kHz. With 16 ohms, it is only -0.1dB at 10 kHz and -0.7dB at 20kHz.

Rob

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #27,094 of 42,765
So, I normally hate to hype up simple tweaks, but I decided to put Rob Watt's claim that the Mojo is essentially immune to jitter, but sensitive to RFI to the test.

It's USB related, and cost me all of around $10, but made a fairly dramatic difference.  Different enough for me that I was originally going to give a lukewarm review to an amp I have on loaner, but the amp was only being transparent to source (for the most part)

It's basically taking a generic but decently built USB cable, about 1 meter or less, and a larger than average ferrite RF choke, and looping the USB cable twice through.  The cable already has 2 smaller chokes, and I'm also using my old iFi iUSB ipurifier, but I may try it also without the latter in case it's overkill.

I was hesitant, because I've read RF ferrite chokes can blur the leading edges of digital signals, but I haven't had any dropouts, and the overall sound quality is well improved.  

Overall, less fatiguing and ease of sound, better low level detail, and I can listen at lower volume levels than I normally do and the music still feels dynamic, fleshed out and detailed.

Here is the two I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VOPCGY/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDACVOM/

The wrap should look something like this (This isn't mine)

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #27,095 of 42,765
Tidal, USB Audio Player Pro, Onkyo DP-X1, Mojo, Fostex TH-X00: absolute bit perfect bliss. I haven't used UAPP fro quite a while now as I got frustrated by some glitches. A dozen of updates later, all working brilliantly.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #27,097 of 42,765
Any XBA-Z5 + mojo users? Now i have pha-1a(but still want something more), and i choosing between pha-3 and chord mojo.

Sony pha3 is no match compared to Mojo, different class.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #27,098 of 42,765

Will try, thanks for the suggestion :) Does playing/not playing music affect this in any way - i.e. do I need to play music for 3-4 hours? Also, does using both outputs affect this?

Just observed another strange thing last night and this morning. The Mojo is in off state and there us a realy slow blinking of the light - i.e. it stays on for ~ 60 seconds, turns off for ~10 seconds and so on 60-10-60-10... This is the third blinking behavior that I'm observing at this point and I'm beyond confused :)) Can't wait for the USB tester to come

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #27,099 of 42,765
Hi folks :)

First post here (and cannot add an avatar yet by the look of it), though have lurked around the forums off and on for several years.

I've owned a Chord Mojo (and a Hugo) before, but had to sell it beginning of this year. Long story short, bought another Mojo from Analogue Seduction last week. First of all I had a strange problem with the middle ball, in that it wouldn't illuminate as brightly as the other two, plus the colour wouldn't match the other volume ball (annoying if you wanted to set the 3V or 2V output). That seemed to sort itself out after switching it off & on again, don't ask me how/why.

My second problem is the dreaded high-pitched whistle when charging. It was actually so bad it woke me up last night! I'm familiar with the recommended chargers & usb cables list, having gone through this with my first Mojo. Using an Apple charger cured it completely then. However this time I'm getting a louder whistle. I've tried two different 5V 2A Apple chargers, plus Lindy & Amazon basics USB cables. All of which worked beautifully & silently with my first Mojo. I can't help thinking I've bought a rare faulty unit. It's I think one of the very latest batches as the outer packaging is a different design, and the Mojo itself has a QR code box and number machined into the headphone socket end of the unit (not keen on that addition to be honest, would prefer it underneath the unit).

I'm hopefully going to get a replacement from Analogue Seduction, but thought I'd post here incase anybody else has had any issues with recent stock, or might notice something I haven't tried?

Cheers,

John.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #27,100 of 42,765

Hi folks :)

First post here (and cannot add an avatar yet by the look of it), though have lurked around the forums off and on for several years.

I've owned a Chord Mojo (and a Hugo) before, but had to sell it beginning of this year. Long story short, bought another Mojo from Analogue Seduction last week. First of all I had a strange problem with the middle ball, in that it wouldn't illuminate as brightly as the other two, plus the colour wouldn't match the other volume ball (annoying if you wanted to set the 3V or 2V output). That seemed to sort itself out after switching it off & on again, don't ask me how/why.

My second problem is the dreaded high-pitched whistle when charging. It was actually so bad it woke me up last night! I'm familiar with the recommended chargers & usb cables list, having gone through this with my first Mojo. Using an Apple charger cured it completely then. However this time I'm getting a louder whistle. I've tried two different 5V 2A Apple chargers, plus Lindy & Amazon basics USB cables. All of which worked beautifully & silently with my first Mojo. I can't help thinking I've bought a rare faulty unit. It's I think one of the very latest batches as the outer packaging is a different design, and the Mojo itself has a QR code box and number machined into the headphone socket end of the unit (not keen on that addition to be honest, would prefer it underneath the unit).

I'm hopefully going to get a replacement from Analogue Seduction, but thought I'd post here incase anybody else has had any issues with recent stock, or might notice something I haven't tried?

Cheers,

John.

Since you have past experience of Mojo, you have some familiarity with how it should behave. With that being so, it does seem as though you may have fluked a noisy one, on this occasion, if it's substantially noisier than the Mojo you owned previously, and I suppose you'd be within your rights to request a swap, if it's waking you up at night. It's definitely not something that's become a widespread phenomenon in recent months - yours is something of a rarity.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #27,101 of 42,765

Since you have past experience of Mojo, you have some familiarity with how it should behave. With that being so, it does seem as though you may have fluked a noisy one, on this occasion, if it's substantially noisier than the Mojo you owned previously, and I suppose you'd be within your rights to request a swap, if it's waking you up at night. It's definitely not something that's become a widespread phenomenon in recent months - yours is something of a rarity.

Yes I think I've just been unlucky. I've recorded the noise and emailed it to the seller and they've agreed a replacement, so fingers crossed for that one.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #27,102 of 42,765
Talking about returning faulty unit reminded me of a nasty friend of mine, he had some scratches on his AK240 which he is unhappy about, he just find some excuse to find fault that it's a manufacturer fault and claimed his balanced section of his dap is faulty and A&K actually exchanged a new unit for him.
I really pity those manufacturers with such cocky customers.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #27,104 of 42,765
[COLOR=454545]Hi folks :)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]First post here (and cannot add an avatar yet by the look of it), though have lurked around the forums off and on for several years.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]I've owned a Chord Mojo (and a Hugo) before, but had to sell it beginning of this year. Long story short, bought another Mojo from Analogue Seduction last week. First of all I had a strange problem with the middle ball, in that it wouldn't illuminate as brightly as the other two, plus the colour wouldn't match the other volume ball (annoying if you wanted to set the 3V or 2V output). That seemed to sort itself out after switching it off & on again, don't ask me how/why.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]My second problem is the dreaded high-pitched whistle when charging. It was actually so bad it woke me up last night! I'm familiar with the recommended chargers & usb cables list, having gone through this with my first Mojo. Using an Apple charger cured it completely then. However this time I'm getting a louder whistle. I've tried two different 5V 2A Apple chargers, plus Lindy & Amazon basics USB cables. All of which worked beautifully & silently with my first Mojo. I can't help thinking I've bought a rare faulty unit. It's I think one of the very latest batches as the outer packaging is a different design, and the Mojo itself has a QR code box and number machined into the headphone socket end of the unit (not keen on that addition to be honest, would prefer it underneath the unit).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]I'm hopefully going to get a replacement from Analogue Seduction, but thought I'd post here incase anybody else has had any issues with recent stock, or might notice something I haven't tried?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Cheers,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]John.[/COLOR]
John I don't actually think there is likely to be any thing wrong with your unit there are three volume ranges of colour rainbow for volume control you've not got up to the middle range yet keep pressing the up button and when the balls advance through the colour in a stepped sequence your on the middle range until then the plus ball sits at one colour
The wistle your hearing is caused by your charger please try a more powerful one and the noise should become far less noticeable.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #27,105 of 42,765
Tried looking at post 3, but there doesn't seem to be anything in there specific to this, apologies if it's been dealt with before in this thread...

I got a new Mojo (with the new packaging, serial stamp on the end), charged it for a few hours until the light went off, and then started using it plugged in to a Macbook (for both data and charge).
After about 5 minutes the Mojo started hissing, not super loud but you can clearly hear it from a foot or two away. Unplugging the charge cable made the hiss stop, and turning the Mojo off made it stop too, so the hiss is related to charging (although not sure if it is actually charging, the charge light is white) whilst Mojo is on. Different cables (including Chord supplied one) did not make the hiss go away, and tried charging from an Apple iPhone charger, and it hissed with that too. So... Is this normal? Is there a soulution?

Also, is there any benefits to charging from the Macbook USB vs the Apple iPhone charger? Both seem to work fine (apart from the hiss) but I'm more thinking about RF noise etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back