Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #27,121 of 42,788
So you are thinking in terms of the ball colours as a proxy for the number of dB.

If you set the Mojo to max output, then the sound pressure level from the iems/headphones will depend on the iem/headphone. I doubt that any member has performed the test, but the use of mobile phone sound pressure monitoring is discussed on some of the Chord threads, so you could well be lucky.
Im not well enough versed technically speaking about audio equipment. Thought maybe z colour produces x db that's all.

On a side not, does anybody have any recommendations for a DAP that streams Tidal that is at least equal to mojo in SQ? Pm me if so, thanks

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #27,122 of 42,788
Im not well enough versed technically speaking about audio equipment. Thought maybe z colour produces x db that's all.

On a side not, does anybody have any recommendations for a DAP that streams Tidal that is at least equal to mojo in SQ? Pm me if so, thanks

The z colour can only indicate the output power of the Mojo, so users have to use the ball colour as a proxy for the sound level from their iems.
This is no different in principal to DAPS with a scroll wheel from 0 to 5, where you use the number on the wheel as the proxy for the sound level from their iems.

So users get used to knowing the proxy, but never the actual physical value for the sound level.

For your DAP question, John Franks answered a similar question (probably without the reference to Tidal) recently, with an answer along the lines of 'Mojo has 500 times the processing power' so will have better sound quality than any DAP. 
It is difficult to argue with that logic.

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #27,123 of 42,788
The z colour can only indicate the output power of the Mojo, so users have to use the ball colour as a proxy for the sound level from their iems.
This is no different in principal to DAPS with a scroll wheel from 0 to 5, where you use the number on the wheel as the proxy for the sound level from their iems.

So users get used to knowing the proxy, but never the actual physical value for the sound level.

For your DAP question, John Franks answered a similar question (probably without the reference to Tidal) recently, with an answer along the lines of 'Mojo has 500 times the processing power' so will have better sound quality than any DAP. 
It is difficult to argue with that logic.
hmmm interesting, with the logic of 500 times more powerful etc it seems reasonable to assume any DAP won't compete.

It's funny how some people prefer the sound out of various daps to the mojo, personal opinion in this hobby is so varied, that's what keeps it so interesting. Nothing is black and white

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #27,124 of 42,788
I use a basic wall charger and have not had noisy charging when Mojo is in normal charge state. I think I was just lucky. (Picture below.)

It says on it. Model PA1008-1SB, but no manufacturer name. (Made in China.)

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #27,125 of 42,788
hmmm interesting, with the logic of 500 times more powerful etc it seems reasonable to assume any DAP won't compete.

It's funny how some people prefer the sound out of various daps to the mojo, personal opinion in this hobby is so varied, that's what keeps it so interesting. Nothing is black and white

Yes, i was thinking about this the other day, after yet another session reading posts for/against power supply purifiers, USB purifiers etc.

I was coming to the conclusion that some elements of the hobby can be explained in engineering terms, and physical values measured, and scientifically validated as fact, true or false, bs or whatever.

But equally there are other elements of the hobby, which are (and should remain) pure human opinion. I am thinking here especially in terms of the (maybe sound science?) chain:
  • sound reaches ear
  • everyones ear is slightly differently shaped - so aan element of variability appears
  • everyones eardrum and sensors varies depending on factors such as how much loud music had caused damage etc
  • although everyones brain has similar structures for the main neural 'motorways' there are differences related to factors such as introvert, extrovert, diet and stimulation when a child, etc
  • everyone can have modified the fine details of the neural wiring of their brains, using training in types of music, or instruments, etc
  • finally these neurons trigger cells to generate neurotransmitters for enjoyment, pleasure, stress etc............... 

there is enough possible variation here, to understand why some people find headphone A is bass light, but others find it bass heavy, or a particular DAP is perfection, but another is muffled, etc....... 
Even with the same measured sound inputs, humans will derive a spectrum of opinions based on those inputs. They are all opinions, so don't fall out over them, even if we cannot understand how someone arrived at that opinion.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #27,127 of 42,788
  I use a basic wall charger and have not had noisy charging when Mojo is in normal charge state. I think I was just lucky. (Picture below.)

Google comes up with this http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/Lot-3-5V-1-5A-UK-Wall-USB-Travel-Adapter-Charger-Mobile-Cell-Phone-GPS-MP4-uka-/251969451714

And it has a spec of Ripple & Noise: 1% Maximum

So maybe you have been lucky, or Mojo can cope with 1% ripple as a worst case.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #27,128 of 42,788

Google comes up with this http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/Lot-3-5V-1-5A-UK-Wall-USB-Travel-Adapter-Charger-Mobile-Cell-Phone-GPS-MP4-uka-/251969451714

And it has a spec of Ripple & Noise: 1% Maximum

So maybe you have been lucky, or Mojo can cope with 1% ripple as a worst case.

Yep, my new Mojo charges silently on my charger. Or it has been doing for the first ten minutes as I just opened it from the Amazon packaging.

It's not got the serial number printed between headphone ports. I wondered if it might have with coming from abroad.

I did find it odd however that the serial number was only in the forty-thousands. My first Mojo bought last November was in the twenty-thousands.

Just that I thought sales were higher than that. Though of course it might have been sat in Amazon warehouse for ages. Having said that though, it's still a colossal amount of units, and a resounding success I think.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #27,129 of 42,788
Question please. Is it OK that the volume and power buttons rattle and move a bit in the sockets?

My first Mojo didn't. The buttons were so tight that they sometimes stuck on initially, and I nearly deafened myself a few times. 

This new Mojo means that when I move it, like pick it up, the plastic buttons easily rattle.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #27,130 of 42,788
Question please. Is it OK that the volume and power buttons rattle and move a bit I the sockets?

My first Mojo didn't. The buttons were so tight that they sometimes stuck on initially, and I nearly deafened myself a few times. 

This new Mojo means that when I move it, like pick it up, the plastic buttons easily rattle.
mine have slight rattle bud, never had problems with the device either

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #27,131 of 42,788
All the components in your Mojo are manufactured to a manufacturing tolerance, so the finished engineering system (mojo) will have a performance somewhere along a normal distribution.
So although both your mojos will be the same product, the manufacturing tolerances mean that they can never be exactly identical, only similar within a certain tolerance band.
So it is quite plausible that a charger that worked ok with your first Mojo, may not work quite as well with your new mojo.

I will assume that you are just unlucky.

Have a good evening.  

Yes I am well aware of manufacturing tolerances between components, and this is of course the case with any mass manufactured product. I would conjecture this Mojo is therefore out of normal accepted tolerances, or rather the internal regulator is...

This also isn't the usual 'slight hiss' with a charger one sometimes gets & can accept, but a noise loud enough to wake me up when it began at random. That would make this Mojo outside of healthy component tolerances, hence requesting a replacement.

I'm not willing to go through a variety of different chargers (or the expense) to find out if one *may* suit this particular Mojo, or if it would do it with more than the two I already have tried & which were perfect with my original device. I recognise & respect that others may have different thoughts, and 'tolerances' of their own to this, but I'd rather try a different Mojo than have to go for a third or fourth or fifth charger (and still likely be left with the problem).

Thank you for your thoughts.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #27,132 of 42,788
  Question please. Is it OK that the volume and power buttons rattle and move a bit I the sockets?

Yes. It is perfectly normal. It's not a lack of precision - it's intentional, so that the balls always operate the switches freely, in spite of potential contaminants.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #27,133 of 42,788
 I'd rather try a different Mojo than have to go for a third or fourth or fifth charger (and still likely be left with the problem).

Thank you for your thoughts.

When you get a replacement Mojo please let us all know whether the problem was fixed. I occasionally hear some whinning from Mojo but it always turned out to be a dieing cable that was the issue. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #27,134 of 42,788
When you get a replacement Mojo please let us all know whether the problem was fixed. I occasionally hear some whinning from Mojo but it always turned out to be a dieing cable that was the issue. 

I will. I also had the whining with my first Mojo, before I read this thread, but changing to an Apple 2Amp charger and a new USB cable made it completely silent 100% of the time. The noise from this new Mojo is unfortunately far noisier than when I had the whine from the original. It's a kind of rattling whistling noise, far louder. And random when it strikes.

Analogue Seduction are going to provide me with one from a different batch, so fingers crossed as I love the Mojo's sound otherwise. To be honest I prefer it to Hugo :wink:

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #27,135 of 42,788
if you like it then all good. I was not saying it was bad with Mojo but 5-10% better when used with Burson. The issue is 5-10% is the difference between $500 product and $2000 product unfortunately. If you are get the last 5-10% out then you have to pay a lot more. So long as you do not want to go there then you are all good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back