Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #15,511 of 42,765
Esther is something unique. I've owned several nice daps, never heard something quite like it.
I want to hear it with mojo, I'll try the above suggestions.

Relic I tried earlier with a plain old IC. No luck. The Mojo input light turned on with one of them, but no sound.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #15,512 of 42,765
Actually, I'm not saying there is no difference between sources. I'm saying it isn't the Femto clocks.

I didn't want to report it but I hear a clear difference using the AK100 mk2 and the AK240 as a source.

Ahh ok my apologies for misunderstanding :)

the thing is, even between the Esther m1 and the m1pro (where the difference is purely in the femto clock), the difference is noticeable. That's why I can't really attribute it to anything else :sweat_smile:

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #15,513 of 42,765
Esther is something unique. I've owned several nice daps, never heard something quite like it.

Relic I tried earlier with a plain old IC. No luck. The Mojo input light turned on with one of them, but no sound.

Strange.....

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #15,514 of 42,765

The half plug method works excellently with standard 3.5 ICs. Because the mojo takes the signal via the tip while the Esther sends it via the ring. So half plugging would cause the contact of the Esther to be in contact with the tip :)btw which Version of the Esther is this?

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #15,516 of 42,765
Ahh ok my apologies for misunderstanding :)

the thing is, even between the Esther m1 and the m1pro (where the difference is purely in the femto clock), the difference is noticeable. That's why I can't really attribute it to anything else :sweat_smile:

Yes, between the DAPs on their own the Femto clocks may be the difference (if that is indeed the only difference - marketing loves the word Femto).

To the Mojo..... Nope. :wink_face:

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #15,517 of 42,765
Yes, between the DAPs on their own the Femto clocks may be the difference (if that is indeed the only difference - marketing loves the word Femto).

To the Mojo..... Nope. :wink_face:

I understand, but then again, there's physically no difference between the two except the femto, and there is a clear difference In sound when used with the mojo, So I really can't imagine what else would help this.

Another case in point, I've got a Hugo at home, and it's been awesome when paired with my focal solo6be nearfields. However, one day I decided to give the w4s recovery USB reclocker a shot, and boy was the difference big. It was the first time I got a truly holographic and immersive soundstage on the focals, voices just floated in space, yet very real and visceral, soundstage and imaging was pinpoint and well layered. Of course this might be attributable to the cleaner power segment of the reclocker but I will never know.

These are also the exact sorts of differences I'm getting with the Esther, with the x5 feeding the setup, it was nice but I never got that feeling of space being recreated, with the Esther feeding the system, boy it was awesome!!

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #15,518 of 42,765
I understand, but then again, there's physically no difference between the two except the femto, and there is a clear difference In sound when used with the mojo, So I really can't imagine what else would help this.

Another case in point, I've got a Hugo at home, and it's been awesome when paired with my focal solo6be nearfields. However, one day I decided to give the w4s recovery USB reclocker a shot, and boy was the difference big. It was the first time I got a truly holographic and immersive soundstage on the focals, voices just floated in space, yet very real and visceral, soundstage and imaging was pinpoint and well layered. Of course this might be attributable to the cleaner power segment of the reclocker but I will never know.

These are also the exact sorts of differences I'm getting with the Esther, with the x5 feeding the setup, it was nice but I never got that feeling of space being recreated, with the Esther feeding the system, boy it was awesome!!

I hear you. With the AK240 I ran out of battery (I prefer the interface) and hooked up the AK100 mk2 using the same optical cable and I was floored that I heard an immediate difference. Everything sounded brighter and more forward with the AK100 mk2 while the AK240 had a more laid back sound with more depth. I don't get it. It's optical from a source. Shouldn't matter.

My guess is there is more going on with the decoding of the files, or some built in DSP used to help create sound signatures between devices. I know, it's a stretch to come come to that conclusion, and I haven't really called it a conclusion yet. Given that the interface is optical I know the difference isn't from RF noise or Interference jitter. I didn't want to post it in this thread given my earlier assertion that there is little, or any, difference heard between sources. I am officially eating my words on that point. Yum, tasty.

However, the Femto clocks are used in conjunction with the DAC in the Player so when that is bypassed as a transport it won't be used with the Mojo.

Edit: My above statement is just based on my understanding of jitter and how it's related to the DAC. I will concede that not being a designer of audio gear I could be completely wrong about it and the Femto clocks are the biggest difference to what you are hearing. Here's an in depth article on Jitter, but I have no way of confirming its legitimacy or accuracy.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #15,519 of 42,765
Recently had a meet where i got a chance to listen to mojo. I am in market for new solid state amp. My budget is 400$ but am stretching it to 600 to accomodate mojo. My present dac is fiio x5 classic and i intend to buy either mojo or one of 400$ solid state amp like meier jazz ff, burson soloist sl or lake people g109 etc. No one i know has these amps so i instead used ifi ican to get an idea how mojo vs x5-amp rig will sound.

However this comparison has left me highly confused. So below are my comparisons of mojo vs x5-ican rig. My impressions are not final but done over a day, so maybe you will disagree.

First get it out of the way. Mojo has best detail and most vibrant timber i have heard. I used sennheiser hd700. When i switched to x5 ican rig, sound was lifeless in comparison. But i wanted to test properly so i listened further. Some aspects in which x5 ican scored over mojo and vice versa after longer listening are:

I found x5 ican to be more effortless sound. Mojo sounds a bit high strung. With ican notes fall more effortlessly and naturally, like actual person playing it.

For bass, mojo had excellent impact and detail. X5-ican has more properly defined bassline. A layer of bass if you will. Mojo bass is instead diffused over soundstage. Further listening brought up more layered soundstage on x5-ican. Mojo has full 3d instruments and voices that are fully detailed. Its like nothing is missed out. But it all exist on same plane. Even coughing sound from audience, which should be in background sounded prominent and same plane as instruments. I found it a bit odd.

For soundstage size, i will say its intimate. With a detailed hp like hd700 and so much intimate detail, i say it offers a good experience. If you are not in mood for so much detail, i suggest add a tube amp.

Overall i liked mojo- ican rig best. It solved all minor problems i had without adding much of its own signature. Maybe lost a bit detail but not enough for me to complain.

So this has me confused if i should get a mojo or amp. Certainly cant get both. Any suggestions?

For music get mojo. If you wanna a/b and pay attention to details only and listen on per - instrument/note basis maybe the other amp. For uniform timbre and musicality it won't get much better than mojo at price point.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #15,521 of 42,765
I hear you. With the AK240 I ran out of battery (I prefer the interface) and hooked up the AK100 mk2 using the same optical cable and I was floored that I heard an immediate difference. Everything sounded brighter and more forward with the AK100 mk2 while the AK240 had a more laid back sound with more depth. I don't get it. It's optical from a source. Shouldn't matter.

My guess is there is more going on with the decoding of the files, or some built in DSP used to help create sound signatures between devices. I know, it's a stretch to come come to that conclusion, and I haven't really called it a conclusion yet. Given that the interface is optical I know the difference isn't from RF noise or Interference jitter. I didn't want to post it in this thread given my earlier assertion that there is little, or any, difference heard between sources. I am officially eating my words on that point. Yum, tasty.

However, the Femto clocks are used in conjunction with the DAC in the Player so when that is bypassed as a transport it won't be used with the Mojo.

Edit: My above statement is just based on my understanding of jitter and how it's related to the DAC. I will concede that not being a designer of audio gear I could be completely wrong about it and the Femto clocks are the biggest difference to what you are hearing. Here's an in depth article on Jitter, but I have no way of confirming its legitimacy or accuracy.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html

Fair enough :) I'm no engineer either and thus I will never know for sure too, I can only report what I hear :)

Yes I do remember you with your friendly admonishment of my claims of sources making a difference :p just kidding I'm Glad you managed to experience it for yourself too, it just makes the hobby so much more fun!

In fact with the Esther, between the m1pro and the m1pro studio edition that I have (the pro is tuned to sound richer and more analog while the studio is as the name suggests, very linear, highly resolving, transparent and open sound), they sound different too, and the difference is similar to what I hear as the difference between these two players used as a standalone Dap.

From speaking to the designer he says that the circuit design is the same with some slight change in components, as will as a different FPGA encoding which affects the sound. I'm guessing then that it might be that the FPGA is still in the digital pathway, resulting in this difference.

I think there are many things which we, on the head Fi side have not been exposed to as much as the hifi guys (while they have tonnes of snake oil, there's some nuggets of truth here and there) like the power supply quality, grounding chassis and material (hence the difference between the 380 and 380cu, hifi equipment often have large thick copper slabs to help with grounding and the likes), and what not. Whatever it is, it's fun to experience new things, especially when the difference is big and we least expect it!

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #15,522 of 42,765
Whatever it is, it's fun to experience new things, especially when the difference is big and we least expect it!

WCDchee, I agree whole heartily, we're definitely on the same page. If I'm ever wrong I'll say so and I'm always curious as to what brings the audible changes about. It's definitely interesting to weed out where audible changes occur, and whether they are more transparent to the source or just changes that gel with our preferences.

:beerchug:

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #15,523 of 42,765
Reminder that there's a nice 'mini-review' thread, for anyone who feels I haven't listed enough reviews & first-impressions in Post #3
wink_face.gif
:

www.head-fi.org/t/795235/chord-mojo-loaner-program-signup-and-review-thread

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #15,524 of 42,765
Driving SE headphones from a balanced output is bad. Driving balanced headphones from a SE output, with the appropriate adaptor, is fine. That said, without the adaptor to run TRRS to a TRS output there may be risks given there is no common ground on a TRRS balanced plug. TRRS will be something like L+, R+, L-, R- (depending on the manufacturer) and TRS will be L+, R-, common Ground.

Edit: Be aware that there really is no standard for TRRS connections. Astell & Kern uses R-, R+, L+, L- for their 2.5mm balanced output. You need to be aware of what configuration your TRRS plug has for the adaptor to work properly.

Thanks! That's what I reckon as well.
I'm using a zx2 to stack with the mojo.. I think most 3.5 trrs these days are commonly configured a certain way except for the 2.5trrs.. I've given that up (2.5 adapters) after my disappointment w AK products.
Gonna take note of your advice and just have the shop do the complementary adapter.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #15,525 of 42,765
After listening the Mojo with the Grado GR10, i didn't feel in improved the staging or the instrument separation, instead giving it a little more grunt and richness in the bass and low mids.I was worried that switching to the Beyerdynamic dx160, it would give the same additions to a headphone that already has a very rich presentation of the low end. To my surprise, the Mojo actually smoothened the low end, making it more clear and fluent, and brought the mids a little more up-front. I then switched to the Dunu DN2000J, and here it gave me a better soundstage, improved the instrument separation and smoothed the high end, reducing sensibly any sibilance.
It feels like the Mojo is working a little magic on the phones i'm using, organising better what the headphone is doing good, and improving on what the headphone is lacking.
I'll keep switching to my other 15 headphones to see if the magic continues.
wink_face.gif

Great job guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back