Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #15,481 of 42,765
I just got my Mojo on the mail and I am charging it.... what a little beauty! The build quality is top notch. For some reason I thought it was going to be plastic and light lol...more impressions later. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #15,482 of 42,765
@robwatts @mojo ideas

How about an impedance module that allowed us to adjust output impedance until we perfectly matched mojo to our ciems/headphones?

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #15,483 of 42,765
Sorry to ask a probably obvious question here but i just go a mojo and using my Android phone with UAPP for transport.  Does the choice of transport make anydifference?  Since its just sending data over a usb otg cable and the mojo is doing all the processing.  Ive read people are using AKs is this not overkill?

Im on the lookout for a new transport as my phone is giving interference  slight popping and was just going to get a really small android phone but all this Android stuff is very new and im not sure what i should be looking for, ideally i want something similar in size to mojo or if anyone can help with the interference issue.  Ive tried different cables and it gets really bad when the screen is on its not too bad when screen off only slight but enough to notice.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #15,484 of 42,765
  From China, you can find some options available from Taobao, cheapest ones are about US$12 (search by "Mojo Fiio 3.5mm"). And I'd modified the TRS-coaxial converter cable which came with X3ii or X5ii to 3 poles <-> 4poles 3.5mm coaxial cable. Just cut off the female RCA connector and connect the "signal" and "ground" to pole 1 and 3 (from the tip) of a 3 poles 3.5mm plug respectively.

Thank you for recommending Taobao. Can you link some cable for X5 first gen?

I'm trying to find a good coaxial 75ohm 3.5mm mono (2 poles) short cable, but the closest cables like this I'm finding are 3.5mm stereo (3 poles).

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #15,486 of 42,765
@Mython-I have a black Dragon cable from Drew for the Fiio X7. Would you like a pic of that?

If it's a super-short one, yes please.

From China, you can find some options available from Taobao, cheapest ones are about US$12 (search by "Mojo Fiio 3.5mm"). And I'd modified the TRS-coaxial converter cable which came with X3ii or X5ii to 3 poles <-> 4poles 3.5mm coaxial cable. Just cut off the female RCA connector and connect the "signal" and "ground" to pole 1 and 3 (from the tip) of a 3 poles 3.5mm plug respectively.

Thank you for recommending Taobao. Can you link some cable for X5 first gen?

I'm trying to find a good coaxial 75ohm 3.5mm mono (2 poles) short cable, but the closest cables like this I'm finding are 3.5mm stereo (3 poles).

It's a pity; ALO do some really nice super-short cables, but none have the required TRRS-to-mono-TRS configuration required for the Mk2 Fiio DAPs:

http://www.aloaudio.com/cables/portable-adapter-cables

There are some custom mono cables (suitable for Mk1 Fiios, AFAIK) floating around, but I'm trying to pin-down a reliable source.

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6225#post_12133286

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/8025#post_12209036

I haven't seen any MK2-appropriate TRRS-to-mono-TRS cables on Taobao, using the suggested search term

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #15,490 of 42,765
Sorry to ask a probably obvious question here but i just go a mojo and using my Android phone with UAPP for transport.  Does the choice of transport make anydifference?  Since its just sending data over a usb otg cable and the mojo is doing all the processing.  Ive read people are using AKs is this not overkill?

Im on the lookout for a new transport as my phone is giving interference  slight popping and was just going to get a really small android phone but all this Android stuff is very new and im not sure what i should be looking for, ideally i want something similar in size to mojo or if anyone can help with the interference issue.  Ive tried different cables and it gets really bad when the screen is on its not too bad when screen off only slight but enough to notice.

I've wondered the same. As long as Android is putting out unmolested bits, I don't get the benefit of high end DAPs. So if you're using UAPP, as opposed to a streaming app like Tidal which is upsampled by Android, I'm not sure there will be a sound quality difference.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #15,492 of 42,765
I've wondered the same. As long as Android is putting out unmolested bits, I don't get the benefit of high end DAPs. So if you're using UAPP, as opposed to a streaming app like Tidal which is upsampled by Android, I'm not sure there will be a sound quality difference.

I have started feeling that way as well. I'm running Galaxy S5/UAPP -> Zuperdac (biding my time before getting a Mojo), and it sounds fantastic. This is definitely making me reconsider lusting for a high end DAP. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #15,493 of 42,765
In theory there shouldn't be a difference, but people claim otherwise. Also, people buy high end daps for other reasons, some don't always carry a stack around. I don't.

I can fully understand using a high end dap as a standalone product, but can't understand using one with a separate DAC.

99% of the public wouldn't understand me using a separate DAC either, so I suppose people can spend their money on whatever they like!

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #15,494 of 42,765
I can fully understand using a high end dap as a standalone product, but can't understand using one with a separate DAC.

99% of the public wouldn't understand me using a separate DAC either, so I suppose people can spend their money on whatever they like!

As much as I hate to admit it, the device used as a sound source does make a difference in the sound, in my experience anyway. The pictures of people using DAPs as sources for external dacs used to make me laugh but after having heard the difference for myself, I see why people do it.

I was using an unreleased apple MFI cable to connect my iPhone 5S to my FiiO E17k, and it sounded different than using my macbook and BlackBerry Z30 as digital sources for the E17K. With the E17K acting as the dac there shouldn't be a sound difference at all. But there ya go.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #15,495 of 42,765

For a transport to use with the Mojo the most important factors to me are capacity (2 micro sd slots) and a size that is very close to the Mojo. It is not about the SQ because the Mojo sounds great with everything I have tried. It really depends on what is important to you and what you can afford.

I ended up using an AK120 with two 200 GB cards connected through a very short optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back