Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 6, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #15,451 of 42,765

All tastes vary. I started of with the Shure SE535 but my own preferences had me seeking better. I have, in the short time of owning my Mojo, November 2015, purchased a few IEM's to try to fulfil my needs for "That" sound. 

To try to eek more from my SE535 I ended up getting custom full body tips from Snugs, as I had tried all different tips, these have improved for me the overall sound tenfold. I have only tried the 835 for a short time and although seemed to offer more in that short trial, were not enough to convince me to buy, especially as my regular goto IEM's are now my Finder X1 which, through a kickstarter campaign, cost $79 (about £55) but included 3 months Tidal HiFi so including p&p of £14 have cost me the grand total of £10.97.

I also have RHA T20's and ACS Encore Studio CIEM which are my favourite, but not used as much as my Finder X1

Point I'm trying to make is we all will offer different suggestions but my SE535's did shine with the Mojo but curiosity got the better of me and I'm happy with my CIEM and my Finder X1's

YMMV

gs1000.gif

Hey, I am wondering how you feel the upgrade with the Shure SE 535 is going??
I have never heard of Snugs...UK based?

I have chance to give these a try as I am am just trying to come close to the magic of my T1's and Mojo while out walking or hiking.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #15,452 of 42,765
The SE535 are mid forward and have rolled off treble.  I owned the 535 Ltds and loved them even with their signature.  However, if you are looking for a T1 sound, I don't think the 535 is the right sound you are looking for.  If you have demoed them and still love them then ignore my suggestions:

1.  Noble Savant (they have also rolled out a few new models and their descriptions are fairly accurate)
2.  Westone W40 or W60 (skip the W50)

I am sure there are others but these are the ones I have heard.  None sound exactly like that tesla driver but are more in line with what you are looking for. Of course, if you don't mind spending more and don't need detachable cables then you can look at AKG3003 (also owned) and the IE800 (I auditioned).

To me the KSE is not really comparable to the rest of the Shure line (based on ownership of SE215 LTD, SE535LTD, and SE846)

Good Luck.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #15,453 of 42,765

I haven't heard anything that stacks up to the Yggdrasil but that puppy is in its own class.   That aside I am just thrilled with performance of the Mojo.   Great detail retrieval, nice soundstage and depth,  and a sound signature of its own.  I find the music to just be engaging and thoroughly enjoyable.  What Chord did for 599.00 is pretty amazing and imho it competes with Dacs in the 1200.00 range.

Is there anything that reflects the scientific difference between the two?  

The number of _____s compared to....?

There are subjective reviews with Yggdrasil as there are with Hugo, but I wonder about the actual differences between Yggdrasil and Mojo, since Mojo is considered a close cousin of Hugo.  I assume Dave is in another realm. 

thanks in advance! 

Can't break anything down for you scientifically as I don't even know what makes the Yggy tick.  The Yggy pulled out more detail then I have ever heard on a  dac. You have to re-listen to your music collection and it really doesn't stop being amazing. The yggy kept me engaged with the music.   With the sabre chip dacs I have owned  i felt they sounded good over short periods but would become somewhat fatiguing and you would kind of quit paying attention.  I find the mojo to present good detail and yet it is musical and just plain fun to listen to.  I know everyone here has different opinions on whats good and whats not.  I can only trust my own ears.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #15,454 of 42,765

Hey, I am wondering how you feel the upgrade with the Shure SE 535 is going??
I have never heard of Snugs...UK based?

I have chance to give these a try as I am am just trying to come close to the magic of my T1's and Mojo while out walking or hiking.  

Yes a British company Snugs earphones they use 3D scanning/printing I believe
The Snug Tips improved on what the Comply Tips used to provide, I got a great seal as would be expected, which itself improves on the overall output and sound especially bass performance. It was like getting a new improved pair of IEM's

But to be honest I got a good discount at a recent show for a set of CIEM by ACS and as a result my Shure SE535's have been relegated to just a backup pair as the CIEM are more compact and complete package.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #15,455 of 42,765

I agree don't be afraid of Drew. I think his customer service is what draws people into shopping with Moon Audio. He is very quick to respond.

I had to cancel one of my orders when I accidentally ordered twice and I panicked but then he was there for me to the rescue like a superhero. I left a voicemail on the Moon Audio phone after sending an e-mail minutes earlier, walked back to my desk and found out he had already e-mailed me notifying me the order was cancelled... lightning speed

Customer Service depends a lot on the situation. I had a similar situation and have been waiting three weeks with no real idea of when, if ever, I will get my replacement Mojo. My problem was simply the Battery Indicator LEDs not working correctly. My would only show green and red. Through email, Moon Audio told me that as soon as they received my Mojo and verified the problem that they would send out a replacement unit. I shipped it back to them Fedex insured. They received it and took three days to ship the replacement. Instead of returning mine Fedex insured, Moon shipped it Priority Mail. I never received it (even though the tracking information says it was delivered) and am still waiting for Moon Audio to wait for the Post Office to tell them something before they ship out a replacement unit.

Not feeling very valued as their customer at this point. Well, they did tell me they were sorry we were having difficulties with the USPS.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #15,456 of 42,765
providing the Sony connection has a standard femail USB plug it will fit fine. I must say about this adaptor! It's no after thought, it protects the vulnerable micro USB connections, it takes both the Apple CCK and a suitable android cable which we will be supplying ( android only ) the adaptor is the shape and size it is to both to swallow completely the large end of the CCK and its size is also to be consistent with following more complex modules additionally it's size allows for it and the Mojo to be banded to a phone leaving the screen free from the bands. Note we have two sizes of case under way with the longer version fitting the mojo and adaptor. I hope that clarifies some points.

Sounds good! I will certainly be picking one up.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #15,457 of 42,765
I purchased one at my local Apple Store and have used it with my 6S and 128 GB iPod Touch. It works flawlessly but be warned, the cable is thicker and adapter much larger than the earlier version. I use the new version stationary and the old one portable.

Can you confirm that with a lightning connector plugged in to this adapter that the phone actually gets charged. Apple's website suggests it is the adapter that gets powered (so you can plug in other USB devices) rather than the phone. Thanks

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #15,458 of 42,765
Can you confirm that with a lightning connector plugged in to this adapter that the phone actually gets charged. Apple's website suggests it is the adapter that gets powered (so you can plug in other USB devices) rather than the phone. Thanks

It charges the phone without issue. The Mojo will still be running off the battery or you need a second power source for it. For all the attention to detail Apple shoots for sometimes they just don't seem to understand what info a customer needs. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #15,459 of 42,765

Customer Service depends a lot on the situation. I had a similar situation and have been waiting three weeks with no real idea of when, if ever, I will get my replacement Mojo. My problem was simply the Battery Indicator LEDs not working correctly. My would only show green and red. Through email, Moon Audio told me that as soon as they received my Mojo and verified the problem that they would send out a replacement unit. I shipped it back to them Fedex insured. They received it and took three days to ship the replacement. Instead of returning mine Fedex insured, Moon shipped it Priority Mail. I never received it (even though the tracking information says it was delivered) and am still waiting for Moon Audio to wait for the Post Office to tell them something before they ship out a replacement unit.

Not feeling very valued as their customer at this point. Well, they did tell me they were sorry we were having difficulties with the USPS.

Wow. Bummer. I have no issue with Drew. In the years I've been dealing with him he's always been great. My problem now is waiting for my unit to come back from "the service center". Evidently they're run short on whatever board I need. Help me CHORD!!!!. You have spoiled me:frowning2:

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #15,460 of 42,765
The SE535 are mid forward and have rolled off treble.  I owned the 535 Ltds and loved them even with their signature.  However, if you are looking for a T1 sound, I don't think the 535 is the right sound you are looking for.  If you have demoed them and still love them then ignore my suggestions:

1.  Noble Savant (they have also rolled out a few new models and their descriptions are fairly accurate)
2.  Westone W40 or W60 (skip the W50)

I am sure there are others but these are the ones I have heard.  None sound exactly like that tesla driver but are more in line with what you are looking for. Of course, if you don't mind spending more and don't need detachable cables then you can look at AKG3003 (also owned) and the IE800 (I auditioned).

To me the KSE is not really comparable to the rest of the Shure line (based on ownership of SE215 LTD, SE535LTD, and SE846)

Good Luck.

Do not take advice from this idiot. There I was happy with my Mojo and SE846 combination and M Coupe, my supposed friend, coerces me into getting the KSE1500 a listen and the rest is history. At least I kept my beloved Mojo to feed the KSE.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #15,462 of 42,765
Originally Posted by M Coupe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do not take advice from this idiot. There I was happy with my Mojo and SE846 combination and M Coupe, my supposed friend, coerces me into getting the KSE1500 a listen and the rest is history. At least I kept my beloved Mojo to feed the KSE.

So true  
evil_smiley.gif

Friends don't let friends stay solvent
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #15,463 of 42,765
So I finally broke down and ordered a Mojo. I'm going to be using this with my iPhone 5s so I'm wondering do the cables that I use matter at all sound quality wise? I ordered this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013JMBAMC/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Curious as to what you are going to be using that cable for other than charging your phone ?

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #15,464 of 42,765
Recently had a meet where i got a chance to listen to mojo. I am in market for new solid state amp. My budget is 400$ but am stretching it to 600 to accomodate mojo. My present dac is fiio x5 classic and i intend to buy either mojo or one of 400$ solid state amp like meier jazz ff, burson soloist sl or lake people g109 etc. No one i know has these amps so i instead used ifi ican to get an idea how mojo vs x5-amp rig will sound.

However this comparison has left me highly confused. So below are my comparisons of mojo vs x5-ican rig. My impressions are not final but done over a day, so maybe you will disagree.

First get it out of the way. Mojo has best detail and most vibrant timber i have heard. I used sennheiser hd700. When i switched to x5 ican rig, sound was lifeless in comparison. But i wanted to test properly so i listened further. Some aspects in which x5 ican scored over mojo and vice versa after longer listening are:

I found x5 ican to be more effortless sound. Mojo sounds a bit high strung. With ican notes fall more effortlessly and naturally, like actual person playing it.

For bass, mojo had excellent impact and detail. X5-ican has more properly defined bassline. A layer of bass if you will. Mojo bass is instead diffused over soundstage. Further listening brought up more layered soundstage on x5-ican. Mojo has full 3d instruments and voices that are fully detailed. Its like nothing is missed out. But it all exist on same plane. Even coughing sound from audience, which should be in background sounded prominent and same plane as instruments. I found it a bit odd.

For soundstage size, i will say its intimate. With a detailed hp like hd700 and so much intimate detail, i say it offers a good experience. If you are not in mood for so much detail, i suggest add a tube amp.

Overall i liked mojo- ican rig best. It solved all minor problems i had without adding much of its own signature. Maybe lost a bit detail but not enough for me to complain.

So this has me confused if i should get a mojo or amp. Certainly cant get both. Any suggestions?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #15,465 of 42,765
Recently had a meet where i got a chance to listen to mojo. I am in market for new solid state amp. My budget is 400$ but am stretching it to 600 to accomodate mojo. My present dac is fiio x5 classic and i intend to buy either mojo or one of 400$ solid state amp like meier jazz ff, burson soloist sl or lake people g109 etc. No one i know has these amps so i instead used ifi ican to get an idea how mojo vs x5-amp rig will sound.

However this comparison has left me highly confused. So below are my comparisons of mojo vs x5-ican rig. My impressions are not final but done over a day, so maybe you will disagree.

First get it out of the way. Mojo has best detail and most vibrant timber i have heard. I used sennheiser hd700. When i switched to x5 ican rig, sound was lifeless in comparison. But i wanted to test properly so i listened further. Some aspects in which x5 ican scored over mojo and vice versa after longer listening are:

I found x5 ican to be more effortless sound. Mojo sounds a bit high strung. With ican notes fall more effortlessly and naturally, like actual person playing it.

For bass, mojo had excellent impact and detail. X5-ican has more properly defined bassline. A layer of bass if you will. Mojo bass is instead diffused over soundstage. Further listening brought up more layered soundstage on x5-ican. Mojo has full 3d instruments and voices that are fully detailed. Its like nothing is missed out. But it all exist on same plane. Even coughing sound from audience, which should be in background sounded prominent and same plane as instruments. I found it a bit odd.

For soundstage size, i will say its intimate. With a detailed hp like hd700 and so much intimate detail, i say it offers a good experience. If you are not in mood for so much detail, i suggest add a tube amp.

Overall i liked mojo- ican rig best. It solved all minor problems i had without adding much of its own signature. Maybe lost a bit detail but not enough for me to complain.

So this has me confused if i should get a mojo or amp. Certainly cant get both. Any suggestions?

Heads up Vaibhav. Pretty neat conclusion and views. Many are using Mojo as DAC for PC setup and a different amp. The amps listed by you are  indeed great amps and am sure with the combination with Mojo will get you the ultimate sound without strain in effortless manner. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back